Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Motorcycle Insurance

3587 Views 86 Replies 60 Participants Last post by  Lennyz1
:mad:Geico raised my insurance from $433 to $629. Is this happening to others.
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

· Founding member / distinguished
5,607 Posts
I think I'm paying about $650 per year with Geico...but that's for four late model bikes, that includes my '22 Triumph Rocket 3.

Sometimes there are advantages to living in a relatively small-populated, low crime, state...and being old enough for social security.

· Registered
22 Pursuit Premium. Blue
14 Posts
I recently had a significant increase w Geico, went to progressive for a somewhat better rate but still high IMHO so I kept looking and wound up with Allstate at about 50% of Progressive which had been below Geico. This was triggered when I traded my BMW 1250 GS Adventure on a new Indian Pursuit. I have ridden and owned bikes for over 50 years, never had a claim and squeaky clean friving record. One other thing that figures in is your credit score w most companies. That's excellent as well. Other than being kinda old I'm a perfect insured.
States do not regulate MC rates like that typically do auto so that's a key reason you see such disparity in one to another as well as rapid swings in what they do.

· Registered
11 Posts
I’ve got a 2021 Indian Scout with 27,000 miles and am renewing my insurance with Allstate for $244.06/year. Progressive insurance wanted 3X’s that much. My house and car are with Progressive. I only have the motorcycle with Allstate which has insured it now since December 2020 when I bought it. I’ve got a clean license no infractions. I noticed you said your old but no age given. I’m 67 years old and good credit.
Shop around and good luck Brother.

· Registered
742 Posts
I just switched from Geico to Progressive. I saved bunch!
I did the same thing after Geico claimed my Vintage is classified „custom“ and therefore more expensive - took me a few minutes and had a much cheaper policy with Progress (same coverage) Lesson learned, call around and switch any day you want. Refund came quick, too

Reactions: DDBCK

· Registered
2018 Indian Scout
291 Posts
I’m resembling an old fart now, but I have been an AARP member for quite a few years, and Foremost has given me great rates, four motorcycles, two full coverage, for $225 a year… highly recommend the AARP discount! Plus, free towing!
Charlie

· Registered
243 Posts
I'm paying $781 a year to cover two riders and 5 bikes, full coverage on everything, with Progressive. I even had a claim last year (lady hit my bike while it was parked) and my rate didn't go up. Granted it was my first bike claim in 24 years, so that may have something to do with it. I've been very happy with them.
With coverage for 2 riders, your ins. co. knows that no more than 2 of your bikes can be on the road at any one time. More bikes isn't a big factor.

· Registered
25 Posts
I would be SEARCHING for insurance! I use Geigo however my full coverage insurance runs $120 per year on my bike. Even at $433 that in my opinion is outrageous! Although like others have said depends on where you live. I am in North Dakota and have a 19 Cheiftain

· Registered
46 Posts
I've been in the insurance business for twenty years. Geico just took a huge rate increase across the board. They sold their policies to cheap for to long and now it's catching up to them with losses. My suggestion would be to find an independent agent in your area that can shop you with other carriers.

· Registered
32 Posts
In my experience, Geico always gave the worst possible rates. I called them when I purchased my Yamaha MT-10 and they wanted around $5,700 a year. I ended up getting insurance through progressive for $750 and it went down the following couple years to around $200. When I bought my Indian chief vintage, I transferred the policy and it was a $13 difference for the first year.
I did call geico after the second year of having my MT-10 and their rates were still super high: Several thousand dollars. At that point I had 15 years of riding and no claims on my bike. I don’t know what their algorithm is, but their policy is prohibitively expensive and you don’t get much from them. The Geico quotes I got were for the bare minimum, my progressive quotes covered more and had a lower deductible.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts