Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Motorcycle Insurance

3627 Views 86 Replies 60 Participants Last post by  Lennyz1
:mad:Geico raised my insurance from $433 to $629. Is this happening to others.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

· Registered
590 Posts
Also some of the rate is calculated per state. So if you live in a state that had a lot of claims, then all of their policies in that state will get an increase. Conversely if you are in a state that had few claims, then the policies in that state go down. I have only seen that scenario happen once for me though. It usually goes up.

· Super Moderator
2020 Challenger
4,071 Posts
Also some of the rate is calculated per state. So if you live in a state that had a lot of claims, then all of their policies in that state will get an increase. Conversely if you are in a state that had few claims, then the policies in that state go down. I have only seen that scenario happen once for me though. It usually goes up.
Exactly. Comparing rates with others who do not live in your city and/or state doesn’t tell you much. If an insurance company gets overexposed in a state they’ll raise rates, stop accepting new customers, etc. Also, be careful about comparing your rate to others - for a fair comparison, they’d have to have the exact same coverage.

· Silver member
5,975 Posts
Try a quote from American Reliable Ins. Co.

· Registered
2016 Roadmaster
220 Posts
I switched form Progressive to Geico last year because Progressive did something similar by going up on my rates. Switched to Geico and got 2 bikes insured insured with the exact same coverage for just over 1/2 of the Progressive after their price hike.

· Premium Member
2022 Chief Darkhorse
833 Posts
It’s crazy how different the same insurance companies are in different cities/states. I’ve been with Progressive for over 7 years. My rates have gone up a little, but they’re still less than any other insurance company I’ve researched.
I had a similar experience as you when I had insurance through State Farm. It was ridiculously cheap when I started the policy, crept up in price each month for a year, then sky rocketed. That was with a clean driving record and no accidents!
As others have mentioned, check around before renewing your policy to see if somewhere else will give you a better rate.

· Registered
22 Posts
USAA dropped motorcycles many years ago. They were sending us to Progressive for "much better rates". LOL! Progessive was $150 higher. I still have auto and life and house with USAA. For Virginia residents they have a canned speech..."Your rate increase is not due to any action or activity by you. The State of Virginia Insurance Commission has issued these increases." I always ask, "So I'm paying more...what am I getting for the extra cost?" LMAO!!!!

· Registered
1,281 Posts
It’s crazy how different the same insurance companies are in different cities/states. I’ve been with Progressive for over 7 years. My rates have gone up a little, but they’re still less than any other insurance company I’ve researched.
I had a similar experience as you when I had insurance through State Farm. It was ridiculously cheap when I started the policy, crept up in price each month for a year, then sky rocketed. That was with a clean driving record and no accidents!
As others have mentioned, check around before renewing your policy to see if somewhere else will give you a better rate.
Progressive has been my insurance company too. I like them, but I still shop around every couple years for a better rate. Someone else will always match what I pay Progressive, Progressive always keeps my rate the same to match the other outfit.

· Registered
190 Posts
Thought I would chime in with a Canadian opinion on Insurance rates. I have two bikes and insurance totals $2800 bucks a year. Its brutal compared to hearing what my fellow americans pay. I pay it because I love the riding experience.

I wish we had better credits for good driving because once you hit the cap it doesnt matter how many good clean years of driving you have , its of no discount in insurance rates. One thing I never get is if a terrible accident happens , the biker is usually dead , equaling 0 health care costs. 0 HEALTH CARE costs should be reflected in less risk. Car crashes usually result in major injuries that need lots of medical attention yet insurance is a lot less than our bike insurance.

Our insurance is government controlled and we cannot pick private insurance.

· Registered
270 Posts
I switched from Geico to Progressive because Geico was going to bang me over $500 to add my FTR to my existing Scout's policy, I have a clean driving record, and no accidents. they stated it was because they consider the FTR a high-performance bike. Anyway with Progressive, the policy that includes both My Scout and FTR is $547 a year with better coverage.

· Registered
77 Posts
I'm paying $781 a year to cover two riders and 5 bikes, full coverage on everything, with Progressive. I even had a claim last year (lady hit my bike while it was parked) and my rate didn't go up. Granted it was my first bike claim in 24 years, so that may have something to do with it. I've been very happy with them.

· Registered
2019 Roadmaster
513 Posts
I've had Progressive for about 20 years. For full coverage on my 1999 Yamaha Roadstar it cost me about $120 per year for full coverage. When I bought my 2019 Indian Roadmaster it jumped to $220 per year.

Never filed a claim and haven't gotten a ticket since the 1990s so I'm sure that helps keep the rates down.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts