Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Motorcycle Insurance

3585 Views 86 Replies 60 Participants Last post by  Lennyz1
:mad:Geico raised my insurance from $433 to $629. Is this happening to others.
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

· Registered
227 Posts
I have a Cadillac plan with Progressive for my Pursuit that costs $630 a year. It includes towing with rental reimbursement, $3000 in accessory coverage and huge medical payout for me and my passanger should the need arise.
I could pay less through them for basic coverage but I like to know my injuries from a wreck won’t bankrupt me.

· Registered
2021 Scout Bobber Sixty
439 Posts
Thought I would chime in with a Canadian opinion on Insurance rates. I have two bikes and insurance totals $2800 bucks a year. Its brutal compared to hearing what my fellow americans pay. I pay it because I love the riding experience.

I wish we had better credits for good driving because once you hit the cap it doesnt matter how many good clean years of driving you have , its of no discount in insurance rates. One thing I never get is if a terrible accident happens , the biker is usually dead , equaling 0 health care costs. 0 HEALTH CARE costs should be reflected in less risk. Car crashes usually result in major injuries that need lots of medical attention yet insurance is a lot less than our bike insurance.

Our insurance is government controlled and we cannot pick private insurance.
Yep, I’m in the same province I think (MB) $1400 and change for the Scout, $1500 for a 2021 Yamaha R3. And that’s with close to max merit discounts.
This is why few here have the stable of bikes some of you have. Here we have what’s called “no fault” insurance. The vehicle carries the insurance, not the driver. It’s messed up.

· Premium Member
2022 Chief Darkhorse
829 Posts
Yep, I’m in the same province I think (MB) $1400 and change for the Scout, $1500 for a 2021 Yamaha R3. And that’s with close to max merit discounts.
This is why few here have the stable of bikes some of you have. Here we have what’s called “no fault” insurance. The vehicle carries the insurance, not the driver. It’s messed up.
We have no fault in Michigan, too. Our insurance is one of the highest in the country, but you’re paying triple what I pay for my 22 Chief o_O

· Registered
1,278 Posts
Thought I would chime in with a Canadian opinion on Insurance rates. I have two bikes and insurance totals $2800 bucks a year. Its brutal compared to hearing what my fellow americans pay. I pay it because I love the riding experience.

I wish we had better credits for good driving because once you hit the cap it doesnt matter how many good clean years of driving you have , its of no discount in insurance rates. One thing I never get is if a terrible accident happens , the biker is usually dead , equaling 0 health care costs. 0 HEALTH CARE costs should be reflected in less risk. Car crashes usually result in major injuries that need lots of medical attention yet insurance is a lot less than our bike insurance.

Fear not Mr. Eskimo, the powers that be presently running things here in the USA are working with all thier might to become as enlightened as your government and many European governments are, by giving as much free shit to as many non-working and as many non-citizens, especially the ones who are pouring into this country illegally as they can. Soon enough our cost of living will be similar to yours.

· Premium Member
295 Posts
I have AAA for auto, home, motorcycle and life insurance. Got a rate decrease on the vehicles even though we just added a 16 year old driver. Been with them for ever

Reactions: AlanD

· Registered
58 Posts
I just switched insurance yesterday. Allstate was raising my rate to $850. I shopped around and went with Geico. Geico charge me $275 for the year. It's strange with the huge difference in price. Also, I have a clean license and no violations or accidents.

· Premium Member
2021 Roadmaster Dark Horse
87 Posts
I had two bikes insured through Progressive. Sold one and my rates actually went up! No more multi-vehicle discount. Should have never told them I got rid of one of the bikes.
Very odd, I removed a ‘19 chieftain and added the ‘21 Roadmaster and my rates went down by $6 for the year. Was really expecting it to go up with it being newer, bigger 116, and more expensive bike. I now pay $390/yr for full coverage on 4 bikes.

· Bronze Member
1,938 Posts

Just a guess on my part. (but probably correct)

If it is controlled by the government it is either:
A. Overly expensive
B. Utterly mismanaged
C. Highly over-regulated through inept layers of bureaucracy
D. Losing money
E. All of the above

I'm going with E for my answer.

· Bronze member
'19 SF - Metallic Jade & Thunder Black
1,594 Posts
:mad:Geico raised my insurance from $433 to $629. Is this happening to others.
What reason(s) did GEICO give you for the increase?

Typically increases happen due to: state minimum requirement increases, a drop in your credit score, moving to a no-fault state, moving to an area that has higher than average thefts/an increase in motorcycle thefts in your area, you get significant moving violations, etc.

Call the company and see what their reasoning is. Get it in writing and ask for a copy of any info about you they use to reason your price increase.

· Registered
1,278 Posts
Just a guess on my part. (but probably correct)

If it is controlled by the government it is either:
A. Overly expensive
B. Utterly mismanaged
C. Highly over-regulated through inept layers of bureaucracy
D. Losing money
E. All of the above

I'm going with E for my answer.
But Canada has evidently recently begun allowing voluntary euthanasia.
I watched a recent interview with a disabled female former member of Canada's military, whom the government has suggested that she might look into the voluntary euthanasia as a way to make her life better.
Gosh, Canadian citizens must be so proud.

· Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
1,465 Posts
I feel for BadBob and Eskimo, I live about 300 meters from New Brunswick in Maine. If you guys are lucky you can only ride maybe 5 months of the year, like us. Ihave State Farm, both bikes less that $600 a year I keep full coverage, $200 deductible even though their paid off..

· Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
1,465 Posts
But Canada has evidently recently begun allowing voluntary euthanasia.
I watched a recent interview with a disabled female former member of Canada's military, whom the government has suggested that she might look into the voluntary euthanasia as a way to make her life better.
Gosh, Canadian citizens must be so proud.
In Maine, if you can prove to a M.D. and a Psychologist you are mentally fit and suffer from a debilitating illness you can exercise that option if you so wish.

· Registered
1,278 Posts
In Maine, if you can prove to a M.D. and a Psychologist you are mentally fit and suffer from a debilitating illness you can exercise that option if you so wish.
What bothered me about the Canadian situation, is that the woman who is paralyzed has been waiting for well over a year to get a lift installed in her house so she can get upstairs. Evidently she contacted whatever passes for a bureau to help paralyzed Canadian citizens, and it was them that recommended she look into euthanasia as a way of improving her situation.
I'm all for freedom of choice, but for some government bureaucrat to recommend that as a alternative.......... It reminds me of something I read once, "what the government recommends now, is something that it will mandate later."

· Super Moderator / Founding Member
5,061 Posts
While I don't think this discussion has crossed a political line I do believe we are getting close. There are pros and cons to a state run healthcare system. Let's leave it at that and get back to the thread topic. Dean

· Registered
493 Posts
While I don't think this discussion has crossed a political line I do believe we are getting close. There are pros and cons to a state run healthcare system. Let's leave it at that and get back to the thread topic. Dean
Absolutely nothing good about state/government run anything.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts