Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
First I should say hello to all and a brief intro . Been studying the 4 R's since 1964 ( Ride em, Race em, Reck em , Repair em). So yes I have a few miles and broken bones to qualify as an enthusiast . Now for the help I need. Proud owner of a Red Chieftain and having trouble getting my Zumo 665 with XM and Bluetooth to maintain connection. After giving up on that idea I then went to a FM modulator to get xm into the Indian radio, fail. Last resort is the USB connection but first need to make or find a stereo headset to USB dongle. Will this work or am I destined to karaoke on the roll. ߘ

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
OK what I'm understanding is you want to use the satellite radio through your GPS and feed it into the Indian sound system? While I have no experience with the Chieftain at all, I have my doubts that a USB/headphone jack cable exists.
I have a Bluetooth capable system on our 98 Electraglide and we have several different items that SHOULD pair with it but do not. My GARMIN GPS is one of the DO NOT items. They will find each other when I try to connect but they always fail to connect. I also have problems with the Garmin connecting to my helmet headset as well so the problem may easily be the Garmin GPS.
As for the bluetooth stereo, that is for my wife. I drive, she controls the stereo. She connects her phone to the stereo and has it stream her music/XM Radio/or even her phone calls. As long as she's actually on the bike the bluetooth connection is fairly good, however if she is standing a couple feet away from it, to the side, it's spotty at best.
With the question of the Indian Chieftain stereo, I'd give Gregory Polaris in Arkansas a call and see what they have to say about it.
EASY

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Correct, I can get the two too pair but then they disconnect , connect again and back and forth till I get tired of the game of ' Name that tune in one note or less'. My IPhone will play Internet XM and Pandora through the USB port so why shouldn't my Garmin. They do make a stereo to USB thing as I ordered one last night. Now to wait for Santa that drives a brown truck. Thanks for the help . Matoska

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I too own the 665. The dealer used a stock Victory 660 docking with wiring. It fed directly to the bikes sysem by wire. Unfortunately the XM portion won't work. But the gps directions feed fine through the bike's bluetooth to my helmet. I assume Indian will eventually offer a GPS set-up. I asked the dealership to solicit to make the wiring compatible with the 665.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
First of all I'm glad to hear you guys are getting all the bugs worked out before I buy mine :) Now more serious note: When trying to wire (correctly) to an XC i stumbled onto a Zumo tech line. You may want to google this cuz 9 out of 10 they have already considered this situation before production releasing the bike.

By the way, did I mention I work for an adio company and this is common before a prduction release to make sure established vendors can support effectively....

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2013 vision
I have the Zumo 665
I have the xm reciever
Ifeed it to the radio system with the input wire coming
out of the radio on the bike
I have no problem with the GPS or the xm radio
I have the J&M cb JMCB2003K DU
I have this in line also

I get GPS and XM into the radio system and
to the J&M cb to the helmit

i do not get the radio system to the helmit
I don't know were to pickup audio out of the radio

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Don't really care about nab directions but would like to have the XM come through the radio. Would have been nice if Indian would have put a aux port in there as well as the worthless to me USB portߘ

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Page 156 in my owners book mentions a 'audio intergration kit' , further investigation reveals Polaris # 2877930. Says it works with the Zumo 660. And the quest continues !!

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
The wiring diagram shows a plug in the fairing for GPS. There is also an unused plug under the seat marked trunk (tour pack). We shall see.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
I found one plug under the fairing marked as switched 12v but no GPS , maybe I shall have another look see.ߘ

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
OK, found the little 5 wire plug under the fairing. Also found out through Indian that they are working on a 'audio intergration kit' that will slow the Zumo with XM to feed into the bike speakers. No word on how soon :-(

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys for all the info, I like having GPS and XM radio on my bikes, I hope this audio kit comes out soon or by April when my long distance riding season starts.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
I visited the folks at J&M ( they make lots of bike audio stuff) today and found the problem with the Garmin XM and the Indian radio. Indian radio is Digital input and as luck would have it the Zumo XM output is Analog.:-( there is a $800. Work around that would give me all the bells and whistles including CB, intercom, dilithium crystals and a Klingon dictionary . I am gonna wait and see what Indian comes up with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have both a Garmin Zumo 665 and a Roady XT portable XM. I'm considering hooking up the XM in the saddlebag where there is a 12v connection, then using the Roady XT FM interface to the Indian stereo. I've already completed a proof of concept, now I just have to get everything permanently wired in. It sure would be nice if the 12v in the saddlebag was switched, so when the bike is turned off, the Roady XT turns off. I also owned a Victory Vision, and took off the cable from it that interfaces to the Garmin Zumo 665. I plan to fish around to see if I can find the GPS hookup in the fairing. If I find it, I'll probably get a RAM mount for the handlebars. I still have the mount from the Vision as well for the console, but I don't see a good place to install it on the Chieftain. Any ideas?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,608 Posts
I have both a Garmin Zumo 665 and a Roady XT portable XM. I'm considering hooking up the XM in the saddlebag where there is a 12v connection, then using the Roady XT FM interface to the Indian stereo. I've already completed a proof of concept, now I just have to get everything permanently wired in. It sure would be nice if the 12v in the saddlebag was switched, so when the bike is turned off, the Roady XT turns off. I also owned a Victory Vision, and took off the cable from it that interfaces to the Garmin Zumo 665. I plan to fish around to see if I can find the GPS hookup in the fairing. If I find it, I'll probably get a RAM mount for the handlebars. I still have the mount from the Vision as well for the console, but I don't see a good place to install it on the Chieftain. Any ideas?
I picked up a 11mm mount for the mirror mount . That and the normal 3 inch ram connection works great on the Chieftain or Roadmaster. \

Amazon.com: RAM Mounts (RAM-B-252U) 2.25" X 0.87" Motorcycle Base with 11 mm Hole and 1" Ball: Automotive

Amazon.com: Ram Mount Composite Double Socket Arm for 1-Inch Ball Bases: GPS & Navigation

I wired it to plug into the 12 volt outlet on the fairing but I don't care for how it looks. I will hard wire it off of the 12 volt wires behind the plug when I install my Polk speakers in the spring and put a two pin disconect up under the fairing.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,608 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! Do you happen to have a picture of yours with the Garmin mounted to the RAM?
I will take one tomorrow and post it. Dean

1 - 20 of 31 Posts