Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love to tell stories and this one is true. Now we all know that our new Scout doesn't have a fuel gauge, meaning that we have to look into the tank and shake to see how much gas we have in there. We can do that but shouldn't have to !!
Now here is the story. We were hanging out on our bikes one night at the bowling alley. We began talking about taking a ride together around town. One of the guys says I may need some gas let me check. He unscrewed the gas cap pulled his Zippo out and struck it on over the gas tank to see how much gas was in there. Well, the flame went upwards about five feet In the air. In a second the guy put the cap down on the tank and it was all over. We all laughed about it and took the ride together. After that night the guys name was always Zippo to me.

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have said this is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Do Not do this !!!!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hmmm... Was there any alcohol involved?

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like it but no we were young then around 14 to 15 yrs old. He was so lucky to not have been hurt. I learned a lesson, fire and gasoline don't mix. Have you heard the saying " God looks after fools and small children " ? Looking back I think Zippo was in the first category and the rest fell into the second. Thanks to the big man upstairs I'm still here to tell about these things. Let's ride!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a security cam video of a gas station worker doing this on a full truck of gasoline while getting ready to unload it into the underground storage tanks. It didnt end as well for this guy as it did for your friend. I use it in my safety training classes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
We have all seen fumes radiate off the hot asphalt from a far distance on ride right?

What do you think gas fumes look like with a open container.

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fumes are invisible. The flames are blue with yellow tips and best viewed from a far distance. I'm worried that you asking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts