Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you wear riding? Colors? Black t-shirt? Jeans? Shorts? Knickers? Speedo?

I just ordered one of these to put over a white t-shirt. Tighter bootleg jeans to go. Have to be stylish on an Indian since they are indeed a bike of class.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,103 Posts
For me I have an old leather vest with many patches & pins on it. The biggest patches are for American Legion Riders. Other than that I have an Indian leather jacket and two Indian windbreakers (one a nylon shell type, the other a heavier textile one with waterproofing). In my saddlebag is a Frogg Toggs rainsuit. I have heavier lined gloves for colder weather and a pair of unlined leather for warm weather. I also have one half helmet and two 3/4 helmets for different weather conditions. I feel claustrophobic inside a full face helmet.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Modular helmet with cardo pack talk bold coms, nylon indian padded warm weather jacket with removable liner. Perforated leather gloves, tactical zip up 9" boots, always Jean's never shorts, and thick socks that pull up to my knees as an extra layer of protection from the heat on my right leg. Recently got a waterproof Hawk rain jacket and pants with the protective leg pad and full armor. Would like to get a vest to start collecting patches but concerned with the potential for serious road rash in an unforeseen incident. I also added led lights to the bike in an effort to increase its visibility

Reactions: sapient

·
Bronze member
2,176 Posts
My work clothes since I ride to work every day

I also don't need a uniform to ride a scoot

Reactions: sapient

·
Rider
1,278 Posts
From 50-75 degrees: hoodie, vest, jeans, shoes

from 75-90: tshirt, vest, sleeves, jeans, shoes

from 90-110: tshirt, sleeves, jeans, shoes

F0844D45-A6D6-499B-B6AA-017D0A7E7467.jpeg
5EDCBAC3-D00A-4673-805C-82FADE800681.jpeg
54D1A8F7-B445-4FB5-A174-5AC86F60447E.jpeg
160370AF-D4A8-4FF2-90A6-EF5228CD0C0A.jpeg
20349863-13D2-4BB3-A8D0-C9B096DFCB31.jpeg
EF6923FE-9646-4488-B91A-A5B786BBE6B5.jpeg

·
Silver member
3,192 Posts
I live in the Phoenix metro area, and we hit 117 degrees two days ago. We are consistently over 100 for a few months. But I still wear ATGATT. I do wear a cooling vest under my mesh armored jacket, but I would never think of riding without full gear. Riders who complain about it being too hot to gear up properly, need to consider that it will be much hotter lying on the hot asphalt if they unfortunately go down.

·
Silver member
4,544 Posts
Top down;

When I'm travelling I wear a full face helmet with a Sena communication system. I never talk to anyone, I just use it to listen to tunes from my iPhone. When I'm tooling around local I wear a half helmet with motorcycle glasses.

I had been wearing a mesh armored jacket over a dry fit t-shirt that I bought at Cycle Gear also. I just got in a mesh armored zip up shirt that I ordered from Bohn. Never wore it yet, but will real soon. It's orange for the hi-viz thing. The armored jacket is light gray trimmed in bright yellow.

In the winter or what we call winter for about 6 weeks or so here in Louisiana I wear riding jeans that I bought from Cycle Gear. They have knee pads and are Kevlar lined. I modified them a bit by sewing in soft pads on the front shin area. Got hit by a bouncing bolt once and I felt like I had been shot. The rest of the year I wear gray mesh armored pants from Tourister.

For the feetses, I have some new over the ankle Muck boots I wear when it's cool, and some low quarter leather shoes when it's not. For the hooks I have brown leather riding gloves from Cycle Gear, both summer and winter types.

In the left saddlebag I have my Frogg Toggs motorcycle rain gear and some water proof storm boots. Usually when it starts raining in the summer I just ride and get wet. I'll dry out soon enough. I carry flip-flops in the right saddlebag.

Now for when it really gets cold, I wear a fleece jacket under a soft shell ski jacket. Sometimes I just wear the brown Frogg Togg rain jacket over the fleece jacket that I keep in my truck. That's usually the best combination for cold weather wear. On the hooks I have a pair of leather cavalry gauntlets to wear when it's really cold. They work very well.

This winter I might wear that new armored mesh shirt that I just bought under the fleece. One day I might just break down and buy a leather WW2 style fighter pilots jacket, who knows.

·
Bronze member
3,072 Posts
I wear a pair of black 18 inch patrol boots [like the mounted officers wear],a pair of gloves with the fingers cut off,and a Cortech jacket with zipper vents for hot weather riding.And this jacket also comes with a zip in liner for cold weather riding.This jacket also has elbow,shoulder, and back padding,in case ya should take a spill,and also has reflective lines on it for night riding. And it comes in several differenrt colors.Check it out on line.I believe I paid around 200 bucks for it several years ago and it's still like new.
However,in the real cold weather,[the coldest I've riden in to date was -25*F] I wear a set of the Gerbing Heated Clothing which consists of gloves,jacket liner,pants,socks,AND a THERMOSTAT to control the heat level.And I bought these well over 30 years ago and they're still like new today.Plus,this heated clothing also carries a life time warantee,that is,as long as it's not obused or damaged from an accident!

So after almost 60 years mounted on two wheels,ya gotta learn something about what clothing ya need to be wearing for the four seasons we have in this part of the country!! Dave!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Very true, I heard a friend of mine explain to me that him and his ole lady took a spill last year, with zero ppe. Flip flops were scattered throughout the intersection and road rash was quite prevalent on both of them. They didnt even contact the car that caused the incident. He has been riding for over 30 years, first accident. Now he is finding it difficult to get his wife back in the saddle. Take that how you want?

·
Registered
340 Posts
What do you wear riding? Colors? Black t-shirt? Jeans? Shorts? Knickers? Speedo?

I just ordered one of these to put over a white t-shirt. Tighter bootleg jeans to go. Have to be stylish on an Indian since they are indeed a bike of class.
You wear a half helmet?

·
Registered
28 Posts
ICON mesh jacket, matte black Shoei full face helmet with smoked visor, perforated leather gloves, Doc Martin wellington boots, and Iron Worker’s Harden jeans.

·
Rider
1,278 Posts
I live in the Phoenix metro area, and we hit 117 degrees two days ago. We are consistently over 100 for a few months. But I still wear ATGATT. I do wear a cooling vest under my mesh armored jacket, but I would never think of riding without full gear. Riders who complain about it being too hot to gear up properly, need to consider that it will be much hotter lying on the hot asphalt if they unfortunately go down.
Maaaan, gearing up in 117 degrees with 5% humidity is amazing - wish I could do that here...

I lived in MCAS Yuma and the 118/119 degrees were very nice, because the air was fresh and you could stay cool when you sweat...

ATGATT is very difficult when you're at 100 degrees for 4 months straight and humidity levels climb up to 55% during the hottest part of the day (Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Florida)...

I can appreciate ATGATT, but in the south, if you gear up for a ride (ATGATT), you're taking the risk of passing out on your bike...

we don't have the luxury or gearing up in dry heat and riding all summer like y'all do out west...

·
Rider
441 Posts

Amen to that. I figure most folks who do not do ATGATT simply have not been down hard... yet.

BTDT 45 years ago and trust me it's nothing I'd ever care to experience again. My Diamond Gusset Defender jeans are very comfortable and provide lots of protection. Summer riding is always in a mesh jacket and I too use a wet vest anytime it gets over the mid 90's. Modular helmet, gloves and side zip tall combat boots round out my ensemble.

:cool:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts