Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Anyone ever say that about your Scout?

Or was that said about any other bike you've owned?

Was it said in jest? Or did they not acknowledge your brand choice?

We're they drunk?

Did you ever show that type of disrespect?

Just curious and trying to start a new dialogue.

·
Bronze member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Actually I was a an Outlaw M/C party Friday night and being one of the first to arrive, I parked close to the clubhouse's front door.

I heard a lot of "who's Indian?" or "who's Scout?".

I was trying to leave about 10 pm when an older member stopped to ask me a few questions about my bike. Seems that he needs a lighter and more maneuverable bike due to his arthritic condition, but he'd never seen a Scout up close. He had a Sporster in his younger days. He said he would not consider a Sporster ever again and that Euro and Jap bikes were VERBOTEN in his club.

Not that I consider others as a reason to choose an Indian as an alternative to an HD, rather my decision to buy a Polaris product is of my own wants and needs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I brought my Scout to the Harley dealer because I was shopping for something and got some compliments from the Harley people there. Lots of compliments from friends about how beautiful it was. I did have one guy ask since when did Indian make a water cooled engine, but that was it. Some people don't like the water cooled, but I like it. People hang around the Scout and chat about it when I'm not around but I can see them, which feels nice.

·
Bronze member
1,956 Posts
My Harley riding buddy gets tired of everyone walking by his bike to admire my Dark Horse.
Of course I don’t rub it in‍♂
Yea my Harley riding buddy get,s the same treatment. They come straight to my Chieftain and say Wow thats a pretty bike! Couple week,s ago we stopped at a biker tiki bar and they walked by his bike and commented on mine. Walking up to the bar he said I might as well be riding a TURD!! LOL Got to admit I like it----

·
Registered
232 Posts
My first and current bike is a Harley Dyna Street Bob. I just comment to note how frequently I've read Harley's suck (they're big, slow, don't corner worth a damn, break often, and are overpriced). Some who ride only Japanese or European bikes will even comment that Harleys aren't "real" motorcycles, as if that's supposed to mean something. I think HD has a lot issues facing it and is trying to remedy many of them, but it will be a struggle. I'm not a HD cultist, as evidenced by my presence here and intention on buying an Indian in the future (Indian, however, is often lumped in with Harley as big, slow, and overpriced), but the Harley bashing, although at times deserved, gets somewhat annoying.

With that said, I recognize that some Harley cultists are quite annoying as well.

·
Bronze member
1,756 Posts
I completely understand that many have HD buddy’s and the Indian steals the show

It’s New. Fresh and brought back to existence
HD has had 100+ years to show itself off

Indian? Not so much

If I built a new brand of bike of any sort people would want to see it and they’d walk past the HD and Indians to check it out

Give it time and everyone will have seen an Indian up close then it will be a paint job that draws the crowd

·
Bronze member
1,956 Posts
My first and current bike is a Harley Dyna Street Bob. I just comment to note how frequently I've read Harley's suck (they're big, slow, don't corner worth a damn, break often, and are overpriced). Some who ride only Japanese or European bikes will even comment that Harleys aren't "real" motorcycles, as if that's supposed to mean something. I think HD has a lot issues facing it and is trying to remedy many of them, but it will be a struggle. I'm not a HD cultist, as evidenced by my presence here and intention on buying an Indian in the future (Indian, however, is often lumped in with Harley as big, slow, and overpriced), but the Harley bashing, although at times deserved, gets somewhat annoying.

With that said, I recognize that some Harley cultists are quite annoying as well.
Im not Bashing..

·
Registered
291 Posts

everyone knows i have 10 acres out back and a shovel,,,, never had anyone bring that up

Actually, i was at a resort in the dominican in the spring. some guy had a harley hat and we had great conversations. He tried to introduce me to his harley buddy. the guy was really nice until i said i have an Indian. He gave me this strained smile like i was on the wrong team. at that point he wouldn't talk to me again.... didn't say my bike sucked but may as well have!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was mainly referring to those who exclusively ride Japanese or European bikes. Not all, of course, but some.
I ride a scout and a ducati. Ive listened to people on both “sides” tell me the same thing. Its ridiculous. Both of my bikes are my favorite bikes, they just serve comply different purposes and are intended for different riding styles. If i want to blow off some steam by myself for an hour ill hit the twisties on my Duc. Spending all day on the road with friends? scouting it up.

·
Bronze member
1,813 Posts

We're they drunk?

Out of probably 1000 positive comments over 4 years, only once when some boys from an MC made a few derogatory comments at BikeFest about my Scout. I just smiled as they looked too stupid for me to explain their ignorance.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Only one forum on here someone referred to the Cream and Green color as puke green ,never seen puke that color only in my acid days but then I mainly saw multi colors ;) I've had nothing but nice comments about my Scout and the bike and color, its a great conversation starter also get quite a few requests for people wanting a photograph next to it too

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Yep, C90 Suzuki that I still own, I would tell my buddies with a Harley, they paid more for maintenance than I paid for my bike.

We're they drunk?

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Actually I was a an Outlaw M/C party Friday night and being one of the first to arrive, I parked close to the clubhouse's front door.

I heard a lot of "who's Indian?" or "who's Scout?".

I was trying to leave about 10 pm when an older member stopped to ask me a few questions about my bike. Seems that he needs a lighter and more maneuverable bike due to his arthritic condition, but he'd never seen a Scout up close. He had a Sporster in his younger days. He said he would not consider a Sporster ever again and that Euro and Hap bikes were VERBOTEN in his club.

Not that I consider others as a reason to choose an Indian as an alternative to an HD, rather my decision to buy a Polaris product is of my own wants and needs.
So, do any of the MC members ride Indians? Or is it strictly HD no ifs ands or buts?

·
Rider
1,161 Posts
For about 3 months before I got my Bobber, I would tell anyone who cared how bad my Vulcan S 650 was...

I basically talked myself into hating it and getting the Bobber...

·
Rider
389 Posts
I have never had anyone say it sucks. I have had a couple day oooh, that's the Little Indian. I would like to say they are now missing their front teeth, but I accepted such afrontery with grace
And restraint.

·
Rider
462 Posts
000AA5EB-AD94-4314-9996-E60694556629.jpeg
I’ve gotten nothing but compliments on my Scout since day one. Old guys light up when they see ‘Indian’ on the tank and often engage me with a story from their youth. The Harley contingent usually nod or say ‘nice bike’ when we meet at the pump and ask me how I like it. I’ve even had some ‘mom’ types tell me, “I really like your bike!,” which is something I never heard on my two dozen previous bikes.
But really, can you blame them ;-)

·
Registered
247 Posts
View attachment 520382 I’ve gotten nothing but compliments on my Scout since day one. Old guys light up when they see ‘Indian’ on the tank and often engage me with a story from their youth. The Harley contingent usually nod or say ‘nice bike’ when we meet at the pump and ask me how I like it. I’ve even had some ‘mom’ types tell me, “I really like your bike!,” which is something I never heard on my two dozen previous bikes.
But really, can you blame them ;-)
No :)

1 - 20 of 105 Posts