Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, sorry to intrude. I’ve been troubleshooting this bike and looking for anything on the web to help, no luck
2014 Chieftain about the 2500 made so I’ve had a few interesting problems.
My problem is the brake light when activated by the front brake. Sometimes it works. When it does work, if I squeeze the brake further, the light will extinguish. Rear brake light works fine. I switched the plugs and got the same problem. I’m really open for ideas.
Hope this made sense, I’m doing it from my phone, thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’m sorry, I should have introduced myself. I didn’t mean to be rude. I haven’t been on any-type of forum in about 10 years. I’m Tracey out in Colorado

·
Bronze member
1,830 Posts
Greetings all, sorry to intrude. I’ve been troubleshooting this bike and looking for anything on the web to help, no luck
2014 Chieftain about the 2500 made so I’ve had a few interesting problems.
My problem is the brake light when activated by the front brake. Sometimes it works. When it does work, if I squeeze the brake further, the light will extinguish. Rear brake light works fine. I switched the plugs and got the same problem. I’m really open for ideas.
Hope this made sense, I’m doing it from my phone, thanks
What specifically did you mean by switched plugs? From what you described sounds like a bad front brake switch

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What specifically did you mean by switched plugs? From what you described sounds like a bad front brake switch
Bad switch is what I thought. I went to the dealer to purchase a new switch. After about 30 minutes, a brake light switch of any kind couldn't be located on the motorcycle. A Google search for a brake switch didn't turn up one. Nor did a search on Indian's website.
I traced the brake lines into a box that I assume is the controller for the ABS. At the rear of the controller is a Y wire bundle of wires with two plugs going into the controller. I unplugged one and confirmed it controlled the brake light for the rear brake. Unplugged the other and confirmed it controlled the brake light for the front brake. I switched the plugs, and still had the same problem. When I pull the brake lever too far, brake light will go out.
It might be pertinent that I've had a lot of one off electronic problems. Some of them at the dealership while it was still under warranty. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a new "trick" the bike has decided to perform for my amusement.
I would love it if there's a specific switch and I just missed it. If I have the time and ambition today, looking again and several more things to check. I think they may be reaching

·
Bronze member
1,830 Posts
It there is no switch at the brake lever, then it must be a pressure switch at the control as you said. either the pressure switch is bad, or maybe air in the line?

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pressure switches are screwed into the ABS module which is right in front of the rear tire at the front of the swing arm. Every now and then those pressure switches are known to fail. There is a gold plated disc that is part of the sensor mechanism internal to the sensor that can get corroded if crud somehow gets into the brake fluid.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pressure switches are screwed into the ABS module which is right in front of the rear tire at the front of the swing arm. Every now and then those pressure switches are known to fail. There is a gold plated disc that is part of the sensor mechanism internal to the sensor that can get corroded if crud somehow gets into the brake fluid.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks. But if it’s the switch, after I reversed the plugs, shouldn’t I have had the problem in reverse?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts