Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
15 Vintage/BAM's w Zombies/ Stock air Box.

Thinking of removing Cat....if I keep stock air box would I need to reflash?

If I do...would the dealer do that?

·
Bronze member
3,746 Posts
Been a lot of CAT discussions and the performance aspect of it is negligible as found by several Tuning facilities. The biggest reason for CAT removal is heat and the pipes sound a bit better.

·
Registered
63 Posts
15 Vintage/BAM's w Zombies/ Stock air Box.

Thinking of removing Cat....if I keep stock air box would I need to reflash?

If I do...would the dealer do that?
Oh the need to modify our rides! If you are thinking or removing the CAT for heat reasons, gutting the CAT will significantly reduce the heat. I tried True Duals with the 116 kit and the Indian Stage 3 flash worked quite well. The amount noise was excessive with the stage 1 mufflers. I installed the OEM mufflers and both the noise and performance improved.

I tried quieting the ride down by adding stainless steel batting to the OEM mufflers and the added back pressure seemed to liven the bike up even more. A friend of mine loaned me a CAT that had the guts removed and the gutted CAT reduced the noise to a nice level and the bike show even more performance. Through all of the exhaust experiments the Indian Stage 3 flash worked well as the bike shows no signs of excessive heat or detonation. The O2 sensor seems to cause the fuel delivery curve to match all of the exhaust combinations I have tried.

I still have my intact CAT and I use that on the road to be compliant with EPA laws. Rearranging the head pipes on an Indian is a fairly simple process that can be performed with a minimum of hand tools.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You do not need to flash as long as you are running the stock air intake.
Here is a link to how we remove the cat.

We can do your also if you like.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sandstorm, the welder in the video above sure seems to do good work. A few years ago I ran into an Indian dealer in Nashville, TN, I believe, who was performing the same service. The Indians I have seen that have a mod like this sound great with OEM mufflers, however, they can have a funny tinny sound in the gutted CAT at idle. Gutting the CAT sure reduces heat. On my RM I run a stock CAT as I tour excessively and I wonder if some EPA guy might take exception to a bike with a gutted CAT and provide me with a steep fine. To date: I have not heard of anyone with an HD or Indian being cited for a CATless bike. Has anyone on the forum heard of any EPA related citations or legal activity after someone modified/removed a CAT?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts