Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I narrowed down to buying a Bolt R-Spec until someone on reddit directed me to take a look at Scout Sixty. Now I have 2 options to choose from. I'm waiting for Scout Sixtys to arrive in nearby showroom so I can test ride it. But looks like a lot of people here came from using the Bolt so for those people - how do you compare Sixty with Bolt for riding in the city? Bolt sure looks like its more designed for city than touring and that said how does Sixty work for long rides, like say 500 mile road trip? My rides are divided as 75% city - 25% 300-400 mile road trips. Please enlighten me and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I rode my fz6 from near the middle of Alabama to Jacksonville beach Florida, then turned and rode to Amarillo Texas in a total of four days. So the scout will be easily capable of a 500 mile day after upgrades like a more comfy seat, windscreen, and bags. In fact I bought this (scout 60) with the intention of taking it coast to coast the September of 2017. That said yes a bigger bike like the chief would be more comfortable for the rider on those trips, but it's plenty capable if you are. Also I set on a Yamaha bolt and I could tell it would suck (for me) anywhere outside of an hour or so (legs spread too wide for me).

·
Registered
955 Posts
I ran a Bolt for 3,200m, traded in my VN900 custom to buy the Bolt too (this itself was tragic as the VN900 custom was a half decent bike and hugely preferable to the Bolt). I was convinced the Bolt was the perfect bike for me ... just from the pictures and specs. Had test ride but was still too carried away by the concept. That Bolt was a big disappointment, my only really bad choice of a bike. It actually sets out to be a crude machine, the vibrations, the fatally short travel rear suspension, the peg grinding on any sort of lean, the inability to get over even a speed bump without scraping, the speedo that in some lighting conditions looked like a black circle, the air filter housing that intrudes where your right leg should be ... you'll gather in the end I'd had enough. Oh, BTW don't expect the 'R' spec rear suspension with its remote reservoir to be any better than the base model, it isn't.

my Scout Sixty is not exactly perfect but compared to the Bolt it is perfection!
I'd say my Scout is the best cruiser I've owned, runner up would be Honda Shadow Phantom.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I shopped the scout 60 against the HD 48, Yamaha FZ07, Street Twin, Gunner and a used Judge. Personally, I didn't care for the look of the Bolt, and the reviews didn't do enough to make me think twice. I hate to come off as if I am ragging on the bike. Looks are subjective and a lot of people find the Bolt to be gorgeous. Just not me.

I did want to test the XSR900 but none were available. I like the look and if anything they have more power than I would want, but definitely an intetesting bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a sixty and my wife has a bolt r-spec. We just got them this year in July and haven't had a chance to take long trips together. 300ish trip in a day so far is the longest for me, she did a 560 mile trip in one day on her bike to meet up with a friend. She loves her bolt, I love my sixty. As far as being too small of a bike, eff that. We rode from Michigan to the Grand Canyon and back on our 500cc Royal Enfields. Took 16 days and averaged about 400 miles a day. So no bike is too small.
The bolt is a nice cruiser IMO. She zips along at (coughs) 75+ with no issues. I get blown around on my sixty more than she does. Sorry for my random thoughts, but hope this helps!

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
The Bolt is what it is.............a lower priced bike that performs fairly decent. The only drawback a lot have experienced are the valve adjustments. Yes...........but its spaced far apart like at 10K miles or something like that.
The Bolt sells for $8K and the C - spec for an additional $700 more. So its still way under a Scout 60. With no Scout problems. So to those who are pinching pennies or to those who ride locally, the Bolt is a 883 Sportster killer and not bad for the price. 15 to 20 years from now these will be in demand for bobbers

·
Registered
422 Posts
My Indian dealer also sells Honda and Yamaha. I went there with every intention of buying a bolt. Having a Star 950T, I thought the Bolt would be perfect. Less weight with good power,low stance,nice look. Test rode and just wasn't that impressed. Tried the 60 and fell in love. I literally only went about a block and knew that was the bike for me.
Test ride them both before you buy. That's the only way to decide. Stats on paper don't compare to seat of the pants.
Kerm

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I considered a Bolt before opting for the Scout 60. For me, the Bolt seemed to lack power, especially when it comes to cruising and overtaking at speed. There was also too much plastic for my liking. The 60 is happy pottering around town and small lanes, but I can also do ride-outs with my sports-bike friends without embarrassment, and I can do long trips on it easily (although I usually stop for a few minutes every 90 minutes, either for coffee or gas etc.). The Yamaha switch-gear is probably more weather resistant, so I'm glad I can keep the 60 undercover at night, except when touring; nevertheless, I'm happy with the overall quality of the 60 and have no regrets choosing it above the Bolt.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Of course its your choice in the end, and good luck deciding,

I had a look at the Bolt just then when I read your post, and a few years ago I would have loved it, but to me now, it just looks like a lot of other Japanese cruisers, the old school look, tubular frame etc, I dont mean any of this in a bad way, its just the style of them, and the Japs make a great bike, reliable and you cannot kill them with an axe, I have had heaps of them, IMO they just lack or dont have a lot of character or sole if you know what I mean.

I also, like thegent above, had a Vulcan VN900 and many other bikes, A VN2000 was my last bike, at the time they all seemed great, (except for the bad ones) but I was always looking for something more but just could not find it, I was actually thinking of just building up a bike from something like an old sportster or something but that just wasn't doing it for me either, it would just be another Harley or whatever, and in that search to build up a bike, I saw the Scout Sixty and it was like some sort of a, "I have seen the light" moment for me, my prayers had been answered. Hallelujah brother. Sweet mother of God. Holy mother of Mary. Sorry, having a Chevy Chase moment.

If I was to build myself a bike from scratch, the Scout Sixty is what I would want to end up with.
It has everything I like in a bike, its modern, techy, the motor is part of frame, goes hard, handles, looks great, has character and soul and gets more comments and looks than I have ever had from any other bike, people just stop and stare at it, and I feel like it was built for me alone and no one else has got one. I could rave on about the Scout for ages, and no bike is perfect, but for me, right now at this moment, it is.

As far as not being a long range bike, I would ride this and many other bikes around the world if I liked them. The only bike I consider to not be a long range bike, is a gutless wonder of a bike that's painfully underpowered, if a bike struggles to keep up with traffic at least, or is incapable of overtaking anything even at low speed, or going up a hill without having asthma attack, doesn't matter how comfy the bike is, its crap and not a long range bike. Anything else that doesn't do all that is fine for me. Just make it fit you and away you go.

I dont think I even answered the question you asked, I went into shock when I saw Yamaha Bolt as the thread heading and wrote all this crap before I snapped out of it, sorry I have not owned a Bolt. :rolleyes:

Reactions: fldfcnscsnss

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sounds like a cool trip. How do you like those Enfields? Indian of Monmouth is also a dealer of that brand. I'm interested in adding to the stable some day.
The Enfields were fun, but it's a inexpensive bike with LOTS of quirks. They look retro because they pretty much haven't changed hardly anything on the classic since 1947. There's a reason why they call them the thumper. Talk about vibration! Test ride one and you'll know what I mean. My wife's Enfield was a different ride than my Enfield, which was odd since they were the same model/year. With only 27hp, at 420lbs they can barely get out of their own way, but geared low with a decent amount of torque. They were fun, but there's a reason we sold them for the bikes we have and the Sixty & Bolt R-spec fit the bill for both of us.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'll add one more comment. I wasn't married to the idea of a cruiser shopping bikes. But when it came down to comparing cruisers, I kept wondering if I shouldn't stick with the character of an air cooled bike and whether I would be sorry later for buying the 60 down the road for that reason.

There is no buyers remorse here. I have a friend with an Iron 883. It's bored out to a 1250, upgraded suspension, raised tank - it's really a bad ass bike. I love it. He wouldn't consider a Scout until he saw and rode mine. I see the look in his eyes every time he sees my bike. He is always staring at it. He is always the one who suggests switching bikes when we are out for a ride. I enjoy riding the iron, but can't wait to get back on the 60. I now have zero desire to own a sportster and zero regret on buying choosing it over a 48. That may be relevant to your original question as they are so similar to the bolt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was considering an 883 also when I was bike shopping in July. But I sat on one and immediately felt uncomfortable. Sat on the sixty and immediately felt at home. My dealership had a used 883 someone traded in which made it convenient to make my decision.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
The Bolt sells for $8K and the C - spec for an additional $700 more. So its still way under a Scout 60.
I'm probably just tired, but $8995 for a Scout sixty doesn't sound that far off of the $8,700 you're mentioning?

BTW, weren't these bikes just called Bolt before Yamaha suddenly decided to admit that it's their child and started calling them Yamaha Bolts? I've had more than one Yamaha owner groan when hearing them referred to as Yamaha Bolts. Kind of like Ducati with that Scrambler (large type) by Ducati (small type)?

·
Bronze member
4,881 Posts
That 300 to 400 mile expectation is no problem. I've had my Scout 60 out touring for 12 days straight, covering 3,650 kms. My only problem was making sure I filled up soon enough, which meant checking fuel availability and distances between towns each morning.

·
Registered
955 Posts
in US it was launched as Star Bolt, in UK Yamaha XV950 (XVS950 is a different bike!).

maybe they've changed name. Before I bought one and I was searching for specs, 'Star Bolt' gave me info about Usain Bolt.
I searched in a Yamaha website and it gave me info about bolts with a fancy star keyed head. I should have realised then that it just wasn't going to work out with me and the Bolt!!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
we all like different things, but just setting on a bolt reveals its top heavy like porksters, but never rode one. i tested a scout + liked the feel + riding position but having 2 bikes with good brakes + suspension nixed that. i like the 60 + its lower price leaves $$$$ for upgrades. i feel the 60 would outpower my 12 bonnie which as enough for me so the xtra power of the regular scout means little to me. still hoping for a sportier version of that platform with better factory braking, tyres + suspension as the factory can upgrade for much less cost!!!

·
Bronze member
1,796 Posts
I met a guy that claims his Bolt is faster than a Sportster 1200..........and by default the Scouts too!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts