• IPS XPIpe

Votes: 14 58.3%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Rider
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm on the fence.

My wife has noticed the heat coming from the cat and has indicated that something needs to change. I don't want to go down the heavy modification trail with fuel controllers at this time. I want the bike to perform as good as it does today and make it a comfortable experience for my wife here in Texas.

Goals
  • Reduce Heat from CAT
  • Maintain or improve current performance
  • No tuning required
Options
  • American Customs then ceramic coating locally
  • FuelMoto YPipe
  • IPS XPipe
Which would you pick and why?

·
Founding member
483 Posts
Removing the catalytic converter by any means will reduce the heat caused by the catalytic converter. The difference, as I see it, is which setup would provide the best performance. From what I know, the performance nod would go to the X pipe.

·
Bronze member
2,433 Posts
I haven't yet but when I do it'll most likely be an X-pipe, hopefully within a month or two. It looks cleaner and more efficient in producing an equal left/right exhaust. The Jackpot looks great as well but still incorporates the unbalanced left exhaust design imo.

·
Rider
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input. Once you get the stocker worked on and ceramic coated it gets in the ball park of the Jackpot and the IPS X. So not sure which way I want to go. LIke the idea of the X and the Jackpot but not really keen on cutting up the exhaust.

·
Senior member / rider
517 Posts
Had the gutted cat on our 2015 RM. Was the best solution at the time. Have the X-Pipe on new 2018 RM. On both I knocked the plugs out of stock mufflers. Great heat reduction from both. Gutted cat $0 cost but my time but tinny sounding. X-Pipe a work of art, even flow to both sides, $400 bucks, a bit louder, dealer mechanic was impressed with quality. My opinion go with X-Pipe!!!!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
400 bucks for a little pipe.....nuts. my modification to the gutted cat prolly works just as well, flows like a true duel and its all inside the stock pipe, which means you don't even know its there. at idle the muffler outputs feel exactly the same. and no im not gonna share wut I did.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Thanks for your input. Once you get the stocker worked on and ceramic coated it gets in the ball park of the Jackpot and the IPS X. So not sure which way I want to go. LIke the idea of the X and the Jackpot but not really keen on cutting up the exhaust.
I simply purchased some of the take-off exhaust parts to experiment with and cut etc.. Save your original for some rainy day when you want to put things back stock.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
400 bucks for a little pipe.....nuts. my modification to the gutted cat prolly works just as well, flows like a true duel and its all inside the stock pipe, which means you don't even know its there. at idle the muffler outputs feel exactly the same. and no im not gonna share wut I did.
I have tried the range of options... differences are only subtle between the various choices. True Duals are quite good in all respects.

Are you making your personal modification some kind of trade secret? I guess to each his own! ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I went the jackpot route and I'm very pleased with the result, but... I strongly suggest you drop the coin for a fuel controller with whatever option you choose. These bikes run lean and it's part of the reason why they're so hot. The best bang for buck you'll ever get on a 111 is a fuel controller.

·
Rider
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went the jackpot route and I'm very pleased with the result, but... I strongly suggest you drop the coin for a fuel controller with whatever option you choose. These bikes run lean and it's part of the reason why they're so hot. The best bang for buck you'll ever get on a 111 is a fuel controller.
So are you saying fuel controller and try that alone before gutting the cat or getting an x-pipe?

·
Registered
145 Posts
yes, fuel controller will not make your bike run as lean but there are side effects to that also. If you still have a cat installed the whole job of the cat is to burn off excess fuel. If you have more fuel going down exhaust cat will burn more thus causing the same if not more heat.
Take the cat out to stop the heat. but then the bike will run too lean cause of better air flow and not enough fuel which could cause over heating of motor.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
basic hotrodding pricipals guys...….epa. makes bike run lean, runs hot, cat. converter makes bike run even hotter. ditch cat, get fuel controller, add fuel, bike runs cooler and has more giddy up, simple, problem solved. and no...wut I did is not my trade secret but should be. I stopped posting my mods because no one botherd to read them, its seems more nonsencical crap got more attention so I don't bother anymore.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
...wut I did is not my trade secret but should be. I stopped posting my mods because no one botherd to read them, its seems more nonsencical crap got more attention so I don't bother anymore.
Yep, nonsensical crap does get more air time than it deserves, but that's the price we pay for allowing people to have an opinion.

When it comes to mods, I think there is a lot of interest out there. And that's especially for cat convertor mods. I've been thinking of gutting the cat since getting my Springfield some months ago, and currently there's another thread asking about how to fit a diverter plate into a cat once its gutted.

A lot of mods are easy and are about appearance. The mods that interest me are tech stuff from which I learn something and which encourage me to do something instead of just reading and then reading more and then just procrastinating.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
pm me and il give you a great idea
Yep, nonsensical crap does get more air time than it deserves, but that's the price we pay for allowing people to have an opinion.

When it comes to mods, I think there is a lot of interest out there. And that's especially for cat convertor mods. I've been thinking of gutting the cat since getting my Springfield some months ago, and currently there's another thread asking about how to fit a diverter plate into a cat once its gutted.

A lot of mods are easy and are about appearance. The mods that interest me are tech stuff from which I learn something and which encourage me to do something instead of just reading and then reading more and then just procrastinating.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.