Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been searching with no real answers, so here goes...
1. Is there a satellite radio system available that is compatible with the Chieftain audio system?
1a. Has anyone figured out how to get the Zumo 665 (or similar) XM audio to the bike's audio input?

2. If I use a sat radio or Pandora app on my phone, it uses cell data to get the tunes to me, correct? How much/how fast is the data used? I don't want to end up with huge cell bill because I listened to music on a 7 hour ride...

3. Bluetooth - What is the best system you've found out there?
3a. If I am all connected up with GPS, radio, and rider comms in my helmet, what takes priority?(GPS will likely never go into the comms, but I am trying to figure out everything...)
3b. Do the bluetooth helmet comms sets have a mic button or are they sound activated( one of my helmets is open face)?
3c. Suppose I can't run my XM to the bike. Can I pair my XM rcvr, rider comms, phone, etc, etc all at the same time from different sources or is "pair" the key word here?

Lotsa questions. Thanks in advance. I am doing everything I can to make riding more comfortable and interesting for my wife. She's not real big on it, but getting better. Still working on her seat and if I can make the electronic more user friendly, she will enjoy it more.
Probably the biggest is to be able to talk to each other more while listening to music, but not having to yell over it. The XM is really for me...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Dan,
The XM integration is something that I am also interested in. Would like to find a cable to integrate Zumo 665 to the stereo. My dealer has not found an answer as yet, I was hoping someone here would find an answer.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm trying to find out some of the same things. I think the Zumo 665 only puts out to Bluetooth in mono, but I may be wrong. I'm new to bikes and BT, always had wired headsets. I want to get a CB hooked up on it as well. I think the Sena SMH10 may be what we need. Just don't want to shell out 2-300 bucks for the new headsets and they not do what I want.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have added a Sirius radio on my Chieftain by using a RAM mount on a dock and play portable radio and have the FM direct adapter that plugs into the radio at the antenna port and the antenna plugs into the adapter so that FM signal will pass through and then you can tune the radio to the FM output of the Dock and Play radio and hear it static free. I have not yet added the FM Direct adapter, but this is how I had the radio hooked up in my pickup and it worked great. The only unknown to me right now that could affect this is if the antenna plug on the chieftain is compatible with the FM adapter. I will find out once I get warm enough weather to tear into the Chieftain to find out..... Currently it works with the built in FM transmitter, but static comes and goes while riding.

·
Rider
1,104 Posts
I just use my XM Delphi SkyFy radio set on a FM frequency then tune the radio to that same frequency. I'm wondering if I get a cable with a 3.5mm plug on one end and a USB plug on the other end I could plug it into the audio out on the XM cradle and the USB end into the radio harness.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,811 Posts
I remember reading on the "other" Indian Forum site there is a electrical socket in the instrument cluster that is power and audio for a GPS input. Last I hear the harness has not been released yet, although I believe someone was working on making one. They talk about all this in the owners manual on page 164. I would think with this audio input you could select anything on your 665 and it would play with the NAV source selected. Including XM. Dean

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just ran the FM Direct Adapter to my Sirius Radio. The FM Antenna plug is directly behind the chrome headlight cowling. It took just a few minutes to wire it in and the reception is perfect! It now plays through the radio on 89.1 with zero static. As you see I have a TomTom Rider GPS on the left and the Sirius on the right, both on RAM mounts. I'll tweak the positioning once I go for a ride and see what works best.

upload_2015-1-18_10-57-21.jpeg

·
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought the Sena SMH10 headsets for the wife and I. The intercom works fine.
It seems that the Chieftain will only bluetooth to one headset at a time. This is completely unacceptable. On a touring bike, I can't imagine the techies thinking only one persone will listen to the radio while traavelling.
What am I doing wrong?

·
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, as irritating as it has been, I got it figured out.
Only one headset will connect to the bike. In order for both of us to listen to music, I "share" through the headset software.
It's not ideal, but I guess that's how it goes.

Maybe from reading all the manufacturers' hype, I was expecting too much.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just ran the FM Direct Adapter to my Sirius Radio. The FM Antenna plug is directly behind the chrome headlight cowling. It took just a few minutes to wire it in and the reception is perfect! It now plays through the radio on 89.1 with zero static. As you see I have a TomTom Rider GPS on the left and the Sirius on the right, both on RAM mounts. I'll tweak the positioning once I go for a ride and see what works best.

View attachment 5301

Where did you get your gas caps?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I'm glad you guys are willing to drive yourselves batty with this crap as I have no desire to. Dr. Phil... Dr. Phil... Calling Dr. Phil... You have patients waiting.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm glad you guys are willing to drive yourselves batty with this crap as I have no desire to. Dr. Phil... Dr. Phil... Calling Dr. Phil... You have patients waiting.
That is the beauty to all of this, complete freedom of "to each their own." bluetooth/XM it up... or not. Just do it (or not) while riding!!!

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,868 Posts
I'm just using my iPhone Bluetoothed to the bike and using SiriusXM app. You need a SiriusXM account and/or add a receiver. If you have a newer car you may already have an account. That's what we did. My wife has a newer Buick with SiriusXM so with the phone app that became an XM receiver. It's just one more way I listen to whatever I want. But I do have one of those antique CB's which is a wired headset. But this still works to the speakers as well. I can also listen to a memory stick plugged into the USB or any of several songs loaded on the phone or the am/fm radio or a weather channel. So many ways to get info it's almost confusing. Got a Zumo GPS wired to the NAV system for even more info.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wired my Sportster 5 up to my Chieftain using the universal adaptor kit along with the FM transmitter. The plug for the radio is right behind the headlight (super easy to take out), I used the 12V plug on the dash for power, and the antenna is mounted on the top of my highway bar closest to the bike frame. A little creative routing of wiring (again, super-easy to route behind the dash with the headlight out) and I was on my way. The whole job took literally an hour (and I had to stop twice to get another beer :)).

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I was hoping when I got a Galaxy S7 my problems would be solved in regard to music and GPS functions but for the life of me I am still miffed as to how to have easy trouble free use out of the system on my Chieftain. My biggest complaints are having to manually re-connect every time I shut down the bike and getting the GPS volume in some sort of non obnoxious volume level.
When you figure it out Dan please let me know.

·
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was hoping when I got a Galaxy S7 my problems would be solved in regard to music and GPS functions but for the life of me I am still miffed as to how to have easy trouble free use out of the system on my Chieftain. My biggest complaints are having to manually re-connect every time I shut down the bike and getting the GPS volume in some sort of non obnoxious volume level.
When you figure it out Dan please let me know.
I use my Garmin for GPS/XM and an iPhone, Sena SMH10 on the helmet. No volume problems when the helmet reconnects. Once in a while, I have to reset the Sena to get it to connect.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,868 Posts
My iPhone reconnects if the signal is strong enough. Being out in the sticks that sometimes doesn't happen. The bluetooth has no problem but the function of the phone becomes questionable. It will give me some kind of message about being paused and I should push something(can't remember the exact message) but nothing I've pushed has helped. All I know is the thing it says to do just doesn't make sense. It seems it can hold even a weak signal but not able to reconnect a weak signal. Hope this makes sense.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts