Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealer offers what they call an X Pipe that replaces the stock catalytic converter, etc for $359.10 wondering if I should go this route or just gut out, modify the stock cat? According to the dealership or should I say "stealership" they claim that I won't be getting better performance vs their X Pipe and a modified cat. Not sure this is some sort of sales tactic or just bs?

I've known many who have gutted their cat and seem to be happy with the end result and in fact, some Harley dealership even offers this service. But then again, I no longer own a Harley :) Anyone care to chime in?

Thanks!

Oh and by the way, this is for a 2019 Chieftain Darkhorse~

·
Bronze member
2,111 Posts
I’ve done a bit of research on it and talked to my dealer who has installed various header pipes and true duals including the x pipe. Here’s what I got out of it. This x pipe was designed to give as much as possible even back pressure and exhaust. To me it’s a big plus. The guy who also runs that shop says the results on the x pipe have been great. No need for a download of any type they run great as is. That’s the direction I chose. I’m sure many others on here have also researched this. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve done a bit of research on it and talked to my dealer who has installed various header pipes and true duals including the x pipe. Here’s what I got out of it. This x pipe was designed to give as much as poteven back pressure and exhaust. To me it’s a big plus. The guy who also runs that shop says the results on the x pipe have been great. No need for a download of any type they run great as is. That’s the direction I chose. I’m sure many others on here have also researched this. Just my 2 cents

Thanks, I'm sort of leaning toward the X Pipe myself. It would be nice to have some dyno numbers comparing a gutted cat vs the X Pipe, etc to see if it does truly measures up.

·
Bronze member
2,381 Posts
I'm going with the Rinehart complete header. No cutting, keep or sell OEM header, and should be great for sound/heat, plus as good as FM or X in performance. They are taking pre-orders now. Hope this helps.

·
Bronze member
2,530 Posts
I'm satisfied with the performance and cost (free) of gutting my cat. Welded a small diverter plate to gain a more equal left/right exhaust. Good deeper sound, much less heat. It would be interesting to see dyno charts for stock gutted cat header vs Fuel Motor Jackpot vs X Pipe. I'd be surprised if there's significant difference between them all.

Reactions: theMucker

·
Registered
128 Posts
X Pipe, Fuel Moto pipe, or true duals, anything to get rid of the cat and housing. I did stage 1 air cleaner and V&H slip-ons with PVCX and remote tuning by Craig, heat considerably reduced over stock. Removed the cat, no noticeable difference to me. Still had a lot of heat off the rear pipe and cylinder which I determined was created by the heavy cast pipe which housed the cat, put the X Pipe on and that heat is now gone.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My local dealer offers what they call an X Pipe that replaces the stock catalytic converter, etc for $359.10 wondering if I should go this route or just gut out, modify the stock cat? According to the dealership or should I say "stealership" they claim that I won't be getting better performance vs their X Pipe and a modified cat. Not sure this is some sort of sales tactic or just bs?

I've known many who have gutted their cat and seem to be happy with the end result and in fact, some Harley dealership even offers this service. But then again, I no longer own a Harley :) Anyone care to chime in?

Thanks!

Oh and by the way, this is for a 2019 Chieftain Darkhorse~
Hey brother FF, I installed the Libertyville Indian IPS x-pipe on my 2018 Chieftain with Lloyd's 558 cams and Indian stage 1 pipes and high flow A/C. Got @CraigB1960 to help me with my PVCX tune and the war horse runs like a champ. The x-pipe really gave it a chest thumping rumble.
Stay safe, unless you're retired, then stay safe and enjoy the ride!

》》》》》》》》》》Wake Up, Be Nice, Kick Ass, Repeat...... MTFU

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey brother FF, I installed the Libertyville Indian IPS x-pipe on my 2018 Chieftain with Lloyd's 558 cams and Indian stage 1 pipes and high flow A/C. Got @CraigB1960 to help me with my PVCX tune and the war horse runs like a champ. The x-pipe really gave it a chest thumping rumble.
Stay safe, unless you're retired, then stay safe and enjoy the ride!

》》》》》》》》》》Wake Up, Be Nice, Kick Ass, Repeat...... MTFU

Thanks! Who did the install for you? You didn’t do it via the Libertyville dealer? Between stock and the mods what significant upgrades or improvements have you noticed? Once again, thank you! Not “retired” yet... long ways before that happens l

·
Bronze member
2,381 Posts
Ok, thanks!

Are they offering different types? 2-1, 2-1-2 etc.? I did see on the website mention of both 12mm and 18mm bungs, which is nice.
I think only one configuration. Dual with crossover. They are working with dynojet on tunes for stage 1 and other popular combos. They indicated power improvement over current tuned stage 1 options. Rinehart also clearly stated that it needs to be tuned, even at stage 1. I'm looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I personally think the x pipe would be the best but I would like to see some Dyno numbers before I'd commit. Honestly there's probably very little difference in any of these combinations. But, I'd say if there is any measurable difference at say 90-100hp level it would be amplified the farther up you go.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I personally think the x pipe would be the best but I would like to see some Dyno numbers before I'd commit. Honestly there's probably very little difference in any of these combinations. But, I'd say if there is any measurable difference at say 90-100hp level it would be amplified the farther up you go.
I'm thinking the same thing myself, but with that being said we all try to cut corners, save a few bucks here and there to minimize our out of pocket cost, but with that being said sometimes when you try to go the alternative cheaper route you'll end up spending more money at the end, lol. Sooooo??? decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have no experience with an X-pipe but will tell you what I saw in dyno results for my bike and you can draw whatever conclusions you will. When purchased I had dealer add FP Racing mufflers and a PCV then tune the bike at a local dyno shop. The bike ran great but the cat was hot and I wanted it cooler so I gutted it and switched to a Wimmer open element air cleaner that looks much like the Indian version. After this I had it re-tuned and the HP went up by 2 and torque down by 2 from original tune results. Later I added the true dual headpipes but did not re-tune and the bike still runs great but seat of the pants feels like a noticeable drop in torque and I have to drop a gear in places I used to be able to pull through without doing so before. In my opinion the X-pipe would likely help out over the true duals but that is just an educated guess.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have no experience with an X-pipe but will tell you what I saw in dyno results for my bike and you can draw whatever conclusions you will. When purchased I had dealer add FP Racing mufflers and a PCV then tune the bike at a local dyno shop. The bike ran great but the cat was hot and I wanted it cooler so I gutted it and switched to a Wimmer open element air cleaner that looks much like the Indian version. After this I had it re-tuned and the HP went up by 2 and torque down by 2 from original tune results. Later I added the true dual headpipes but did not re-tune and the bike still runs great but seat of the pants feels like a noticeable drop in torque and I have to drop a gear in places I used to be able to pull through without doing so before. In my opinion the X-pipe would likely help out over the true duals but that is just an educated guess.

Thanks, I think the X Pipe eliminates a lot of issues or any pressure build up. A straight pipe always works best vs a gutted one, so with an "educated" guess I'm assuming the X Pipe would be the best route to take~

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I'm thinking the same thing myself, but with that being said we all try to cut corners, save a few bucks here and there to minimize our out of pocket cost, but with that being said sometimes when you try to go the alternative cheaper route you'll end up spending more money at the end, lol. Sooooo??? decisions, decisions...
That's why mine is still untouched.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.