Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

All was working fine (all four of my turn signals were as shiny as it gets). Then one fine day my bike's battery was TOTALLY drained. As in, the damn thing wouldn't light anyhting up on the dash. Jumpstarted it and all went fine form there.

I thought I messed up something on the front turn signals when I wired them, but then I checked and all seemed fine (plus, they work perfectly so if I wired something wrong then they would at least malfunction, but nada). A while after my rear left turn signal showed only two of the three CREEs lighting up (was still very bright but during daylight I could see that only two were flashing). I again thought I wired the running light instead of the turn signal wire but turned out fine at the end.

A couple of days ago, I put on an LED headlight that I wanted to test. The headlight came with a balance resistor but I installed it without that and it seemed to work fine. No flickering and no issues. However, I realized that my rear turn signals flash so dimly that you cannot see them at all in daylight! I am not sure if this happened straight after the headlight installation or happened before as I still get normal speed blinking and the fronts are working fine.

I have the service manual and am quite worried to know that there is no flasher module. Worried something might have happened to the ECU. Any ideas why this happened? To rewire the originals for a test it will take a bunch of hours (don't ask, I kinda went a bit overboard with the way I ran the wiring through which will require me to clip off the connectors and take out the whole rear assembly).

Any ideas are appreciated. I need to register the bike for 2016 and it will not pass the vehicle test without rear blinkers.

Cheers and happy new year!

Sami

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: Turns out both were fried. I took them out and tested them on a 12V source. Both are done. Going to email X-Arc with videos and see what they will say. My guess is the internal equalizer got shorted out which explains the battery dying on me whenever I test them a number of times without the bike running.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Sorry to hear of you're problems, and understand the frustration. Please keep us posted on the findings and outcome.

Good luck.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Sorry to hear of you're problems, and understand the frustration. Please keep us posted on the findings and outcome.

Good luck.
You gotta love all this modern shit don't ya? Give me points, condensers, coils, I think we should start building 1918 Indian again and be done with all this modern stuff!

Whose with me? Let's start a revolution!
(Yeah, right up until the first kickstart! )

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Alpal to further support your point, I am an electronics engineer, who is barely over 30 (basically still a kid who is supposed to be obsessed with tech), and I TOTALLY despise all the pointless trickery on vehicles. Especially those that are not done right. If I turn out to be right, and it is the resistor that fried up a storm, then that is just purely on bad design and lack of foresight. There is a reason why those load balancing resistors are so damn huge and bulky: THEY NEED TO TAKE THE HEAT! I was a bit surprised when @Meggie said they were plug and play, but figured it was partially the way the scout is made that helped in not requiring the load equalizer (which is partially true since my LED headlight did not need it). But I cannot think of any reason why this issue happened to my X-Arcs other than a resistor frying up.

With that said, I simply wanted a brighter, smaller turn signal than the stock. Was not going for the "technology" aspect of it :( serves me right I suppose. To further prove my hatred towards excessive electrickery in vehicles, I ditched my Xterra (which was not a particularly tech advanced vehicle) for a Y61 Safari. Hell, the new one has a manual antenna, and a cable throttle with a "diving pedal" style cruise control, and I LOVE IT!

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
@Alpal to further support your point, I am an electronics engineer, who is barely over 30 (basically still a kid who is supposed to be obsessed with tech), and I TOTALLY despise all the pointless trickery on vehicles. Especially those that are not done right. If I turn out to be right, and it is the resistor that fried up a storm, then that is just purely on bad design and lack of foresight. There is a reason why those load balancing resistors are so damn huge and bulky: THEY NEED TO TAKE THE HEAT! I was a bit surprised when @Meggie said they were plug and play, but figured it was partially the way the scout is made that helped in not requiring the load equalizer (which is partially true since my LED headlight did not need it). But I cannot think of any reason why this issue happened to my X-Arcs other than a resistor frying up.

With that said, I simply wanted a brighter, smaller turn signal than the stock. Was not going for the "technology" aspect of it :( serves me right I suppose. To further prove my hatred towards excessive electrickery in vehicles, I ditched my Xterra (which was not a particularly tech advanced vehicle) for a Y61 Safari. Hell, the new one has a manual antenna, and a cable throttle with a "diving pedal" style cruise control, and I LOVE IT!
And if I could add informative, I would! Love it!
Alpal

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Whose with me? Let's start a revolution!
(Yeah, right up until the first kickstart! )
All these kids wanting a kickstarter have never had one kickback on them and slap the hell out of your calf.
Still have memories of trying to start without retarding the spark and getting the crap slapped out of my leg.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,336 Posts
Really thought those X Arc's were the Cat's Meow but just didn't have the coin to go that route when concentrating on other things .. Think will hold off a bit and see what else comes about on them ..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They WERE. Brightest and best looking ones I have seen. I just had a feeling this was gonna happen when i read on the forum here that they do not require a dummy load. Anyway hope mine were the exception so let's see.

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
For grins check the wire run under the rear fender well and see if they have come loose and rubbed / frayed ?

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts

Thought of this pic after reading your post, and thought youd get a rise from it. 12523014_10153213999792027_340157579400481636_n.jpg.cf.jpg

·
Founding member
1,757 Posts

29 year old with a mechanical engineering degree here. I totally agree that newer vehicles have become needlessly complex. I understand safety has improved over time and people want more features, but I feel the implementation leaves a lot to be desired. The words "Infotainment System" make me vomit in my mouth a little bit every time some one says that like its a real word.

Good luck with the x-arcs. I was thinking of going that way myself but was focused on other priorities. I'll be waiting to see how this turns out.

Reactions: Rudy Smith

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I had Arc-X directional's on all four corners for the full riding season (5k miles) I owned the Scout, which was Apr-Oct (when sold). All worked flawlessly w/out issues. I'm sure Mike will work things out with you. Good luck...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts