Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the look and style of German army WWII looking motorcycle helmets.
Irregardless of their safety issues (being not full-faced helmets), would you wear one? Is it disrespectful to wear one, to the "greatest generation" folks? To veterans, in general?(I'm a Vet and I don't know).
Any thoughts? I know I just have to go with my gut feelings on whether or not to buy or wear one, but I'd like to get some other riders' opinions on this. Thanks!!!

·
Rider
1,576 Posts
Can you post a picture for an example? I’ve not heard or know of any disrespect coming from the type of motorcycle helmet someone was wearing maybe some stickers or art work that may be on one possibly?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you post a picture for an example? I’ve not heard or know of any disrespect coming from the type of motorcycle helmet someone was wearing maybe some stickers or art work that may be on one possibly?

·
German Rider
1,640 Posts
I am German. I wear one on hot days.

Model : AFX FX-88
IMG_20190612_163716.jpg

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
German rider
710 Posts
Some will find it offensive because of it being part of the Nazi uniform.
After WW2 this Helmet was/is popular in german FireFighters, the THW (kind of "technical-only" National Guard), the governments guards of honour and the famous GSG9 Special Forces.

I rode the GALVANIA (with ECE in Size XS only), and the "Big German".
It is ok for slow speeds, but on my naked bike expieriences the helmet´s side flank acts like a wing and lifted up.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
German style helmets look cool enough. I prefer a polo style myself. As to what people will think, honestly, when one rides a motorcycle, one has basically conceded to the public that the drive could care two hoots about what non bikers think. As to Vets, I have found Vets to be the most live and let live people I know, so long as you don't do a Fonda in their face.

·
Bronze member
1,333 Posts
If you have a store around go by and try one out first. I ordered one on line thinking they looked cool, then I saw what it looked like on my head and though, man what a dork!
OH, you mean like Kenneth Mars here in this Mel Brooks flick?...

(...and btw, yeah, I also would think the outward flaps on those suckers would make it tend to lift off one's noggins too while out on a ride at any speed at all and probably even more so than half-helmets tend to do...but hey our German friend Demolition Man here might know better about this than I, as first, I've never worn any motorcycle helmet less in size and cranium protection than a 3/4 helmet, and because secondly, no, I wouldn't be caught dead wearin' one of those German style WWI/WWII helmets because, well, because they're NOT motorcycle helmets, and yeah because I know I'd look as much like a freakin' dork as you said you did derailed75 and as Kenneth Mars did in that YouTube clip up there!!!) LOL

·
Bronze member
1,333 Posts
Yeah I thought that they looked real cool. When I was about 12.
LOL

So, lemme guess here A-58...and keeping in this whole classic movie motif I just brought up here in my above reply...

When you were 12, the WWII epic The Great Escape had just been released to the theaters, and so after seein' the so-called "King of Cool", namely one Mr. Steve McQueen, sportin' one of those suckers on his head while attempting to outrun his German Army pursers on that Triumph motorcycle, THIS was when you got this motion into your then little head that they "look cool", now wasn't it?! ;)

(...I mean HEY, if McQueen here "looked cool" wearin' one of those suckers while ridin' a motorcycle, then why couldn't YOU, huh!) LOL

·
Silver member
4,518 Posts
LOL

So, lemme guess here A-58...and keeping in this whole classic movie motif I just brought up here in my above reply...

When you were 12, the WWII epic The Great Escape had just been released to the theaters, and so after seein' the so-called "King of Cool", namely one Mr. Steve McQueen, sportin' one of those suckers on his head while attempting to outrun his German Army pursers on that Triumph motorcycle, THIS was when you got this motion into your then little head that they "look cool", now wasn't it?! ;)

(...I mean HEY, if McQueen here "looked cool" wearin' one of those suckers while ridin' a motorcycle, then why couldn't YOU, huh!) LOL
Like I said, when I was about 12 I thought that they looked cool. If I put one on my dad would’ve slapped it off my head with my head still in it. There was this dude in the ‘80s who had a set of Viking horns mounted on a German helmet and drove around town on his Harley. When I saw it I had the same reaction, that when I was about 12 that would’ve been cool as shit, but he was probably in his 40s and I was in my 20s and he looked like a dork.

·
German Rider
1,640 Posts
@Dargo :

I have worn my AFX FX-88 on the autobahn already last summer. No probs with lifting up to 130kmh ~ 80mph on my Roadmaster. May be different on other bikes due to the lack of fairing, windshield, etc.
By the way, this helmet is only a look-a-like WW2 helmet. It is a DOT approved helmet.

Regarding the style, each to his own.
I like the style and the "comfort" on hot days.

Besides,.... While talking about safety while riding a motorcycle? Take the car, it would be safer.

Cu,
Sven

1 - 20 of 96 Posts