Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked to see if the 2015 Service Manual was available now and saw that Indian jacked up the price from $140. to $170. and it's not even available to order yet. Maybe they're trying to discourage us from doing our own maintenance work.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Supply and demand, they probably have had in increase in manual orders so why not increase the price

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I checked to see if the 2015 Service Manual was available now and saw that Indian jacked up the price from $140. to $170. and it's not even available to order yet. Maybe they're trying to discourage us from doing our own maintenance work.
They had to add the tour pack and lowers section. Gotta increase the price!

·
Founding member
951 Posts
I wonder if the 2015 manual has additional information in it. I had service manual for every bike I ever owned. Even a hard to find 1982 Honda FT500 Ascot manual found on E Bay. It's a nessesity if you do your own repairs.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,048 Posts
Evening Folks,
As I have mentioned before in another service manual post, this is all BS anyway. What we need is a service manual download as can commonly be found for almost any machine you like for about $15. I download manuals all the time for stuff we're working on at school. Considering the present limited dealer network, for Polaris to be gouging us on a service manual sucks. I ponied up for their expensive hard copy because I won't be without a manual, but I'm not happy about it. My nearest dealerships are 4 hours away and they haven't proven especially helpful for technical questions asked over the telephone.

Indian, give us a reasonably priced service manual download!
--- Randall

·
Registered
733 Posts
With labor rates what they are in any and all dealer networks, thinking a factory is going to supply a service manual without a sizeable investment is nonsence, the best one can hope for is that one of the E commerce sites that specialize in such things will pay the vig and then allow downloads at a more reasonable premium. Until then hope the machine is reliable and since there is very little truly new under the sun, if your up on your skills maintenace should be achievable though seldom straight forward in this circuit board world.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
We are investing in Indians future. So why over charge us, we invested a lot of hard earned money in a unproven bike. I love the bike but I am tired of waiting for over priced accessories. And being told that small problems are normal what is normal we won't know whats normal for a few years. My dealership has no clue on most things.I find a lot of my answers right here on this forum. Is it to much to ask for a service manual at a fair price ?

·
Registered
733 Posts
We are investing in Indians future. So why over charge us, we invested a lot of hard earned money in a unproven bike. I love the bike but I am tired of waiting for over priced accessories. And being told that small problems are normal what is normal we won't know whats normal for a few years. My dealership has no clue on most things.I find a lot of my answers right here on this forum. Is it to much to ask for a service manual at a fair price ?
I only question your use of the word fair, we live in a world now where words mean whatever some say they mean. So things like shoot the cops are explained away as he said shoot, the cops and fair to a corporate type means $170.00

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I only question your use of the word fair, we live in a world now where words mean whatever some say they mean. So things like shoot the cops are explained away as he said shoot, the cops and fair to a corporate type means $170.00
Sad but so true

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
With labor rates what they are in any and all dealer networks, thinking a factory is going to supply a service manual without a sizeable investment is nonsence, the best one can hope for is that one of the E commerce sites that specialize in such things will pay the vig and then allow downloads at a more reasonable premium. Until then hope the machine is reliable and since there is very little truly new under the sun, if your up on your skills maintenace should be achievable though seldom straight forward in this circuit board world.
I am retired from GM service. Hard copy manuals in dealerships are a thing of the past. If you don't have access to the GM network, manuals cannot be found. I suspect that Indian and HD are going the same route. Printed hard copies may eventually become a thing of the past. Whenever I need something for cars I go to my old employer and get one of the guys to print me off the section and wiring diagrams. I don't have that luxury with Indian so I had to buy the hard copy. Cost me $190.00 here in Canada

·
Registered
765 Posts
I was thinking someone would have already scanned and posted the repair manual on one of the forums for all to use? :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Have any of you guys purchased a college class book lately?...Try $400 for a text book (possibly used) or you can rent one for $180. Everything is relative. Indian Manual that I will continue to use for $170 doesn't sound that horrible to me IMHO.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
On another Scout Service Manual thread, I reported ordering the manual from my dealer in Murfreesboro, TN for less than $100. That order was confirmed by parts, but guess what...just before the dealership closed for the Holiday, I got a call from my salesman to say that Indian cancelled the order and the Scout Service Manual was not available. Now which is it...they are not available now, but were before at the lower price? My dealer is quite upset about this and is in the process of cornering their rep to see what is going on with the availability and pricing for this manual. If or when I hear from them, I'll report back.

Also, I agree with Randall that downloadable Service Manuals (at a reasonable price) is the right direction for supplying documents like the service manual.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Let hope it's accurate and up to date for that price! My 2014 manual doesn't mention of even show "Decompression exhaust cams" and all of us that own "Clackers" now know better.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just ordered the 2015 Service Manual from my closest dealership. A buck eighty with tax! I'll pick it up next week. Keep everyone posted on updated material.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
BD when you get it ill give ya 50 bucks for it. Does it come with a tub of leather conditioner?
Love my indian but we are getting ripped.
I guess maybe I take a different view of things.

We are all blessed to be among the first of a group of motorcycle owners who are writing the first chapter in the history book of Indian Motorcycle rebirth.

I have noticed a disturbing trend here.
Some are cynical, some snide, some just spoiled.
Those who are so very quick to throw down on Indian Motorcycle for the slightest perceived reason., real or imagined.

We own not just historically significant motorcycles, they are PREMIUM motorcycles.
Luxury items, expensive toys.
Yet at every turn there is some miserly (expletive) who wants to dilute the experience with remarks about high costs.
They want to make a luggage rack from a lawn chair and then wrap up their shit in a Wal*Mart bag and ride down the highway like that, and oh yeah, then remind you that they got their Indian "cheaper" than you did.
These guys have no presence or appreciation of their place in the history book being written.

Now, I'm NOT a Rockefeller by any stretch of the imagination but I'll be damned if I am going to pirate some software copy. I would go down to the newsstand and steal the latest issue of Playboy magazine first.
I'm also not going to scab some J.C. Whitney foot pegs on my Indian either.

I would say that this kind of thing exhibits no class.....However, I find myself putting these things in print....and that ain't real classy either...But it has been eating at me awhile.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts