Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Wrenching on Your Own Bike and Warranties

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Davetac1 
The biggest thing about your post is that the maintenance has to be done, done right, and documented.

The thing that you’re not emphasizing enough IMO is that if the maintenance or added part causes damage then that damage isn’t covered. For example, if you installed a stage 1 intake and exhaust or an aftermarket tuner improperly you can cause engine damage. The dealer still has to prove that your maintenance caused the damage, but your warranty claim could be denied. Or if you put on aftermarket speakers that draws more current from the amp and burns it up then that warranty claim would be denied as well.

You never actually “void your warrant”. Rather your warranty claims could be denied if your maintenance action caused damage. In the end the only thing the magnums moss warranty act does is give you an avenue to sue to readdress a warranty claim denial.

I did emphasize that though. I was pretty specific about doing it right and following the service manual. I think you should read what I wrote again. I did address "if you break it, it's not covered." Which is identical to saying if improper maintenance causes damage then you're responsible. However, aftermarket electronics I would never recommend, that should be common sense. That's the only thing I really didn't mention that you brought up.

Edit: specifically, look right after I say "keep in mind the following."
I meant the part where if you install something that causes something else to break it's not covered :)
For example, if you install an after market tuner and suffer internal damage, even if you installed it properly the dealer would most likely not cover the repair. It's happened a few times if people who've posted on the various forums I've been a part of. Not just Indian either, nor just motorcycles for that matter.

I’m not telling anyone not to document it, I keep track of all my service in the back of my manuals. It’s a good idea to document things for your own records or for resale value. I am saying that they can not deny your warranty because you don’t write down you changed your oil. Keep in mind that all warranty in the US is regulated by federal laws and the manufacturers must follow the laws. The person from Polaris can write whatever they want in an email but that does not change the laws . Your warranty agreement is a legally binding contact and all manufactures warranties are regulated the same way. Now if they say something like “your engine failed because you used the wrong fluids“ then proof of the fluid you used may be important. Especially if you purchased something that was supposed to meet requirements but didn’t. But now your problem is not with Polaris but with the oil supplier. And you are probably going to need proof of purchase and a whole lot more.
The Federal Trade Commission disagrees with you.

From Auto Warranties and Service Contracts

Keep all your service records — no matter who does the service. This includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, new brake pads, and inspections. Create a file to keep track of repairs — it will come in handy if you have to use your warranty. If you ever have a warranty claim and it appears that you didn’t maintain your vehicle, your claim might be denied.

Under the contract, you may have to follow all the manufacturer’s recommendations for routine maintenance, like oil changes. If you don’t, it might void the contract so you’ll lose coverage. Keep detailed records, including receipts, so you can prove you’ve properly maintained the car.

They are talking about extended warranty or contracts that’s a whole different story. Extended contracts can have their own rules that are outside the Magnuson moss act. They may also require proof of service or maintenance or even require using OEM parts. This is outside of the standard warranty that all manufactures must provide
Actually they’re talking about both; hence why they say “Auto Warranty and Service Contracts”. If you can’t prove it happened then you’re opening yourself up to the dealer questioning whether or not the service was done.
It’s an extremely bad idea to not keep receipts.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.