Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a 17 Chieftain Dark Horse from the salvage auction and now I'm having issues getting past the security system. The bike was laid down pretty hard but everything seems to be in working order. It did not come with the key fob from the auction so I'm unable to start it this way. I have contacted the previous owner who said the fob was lost at the time of the accident. He gave me the master pin but it does not work. You can turn on the power button and everything lights up for about 15 seconds then shuts down. The security light is on but no matter how many times I enter the pin it doesn't work. The bike is currently at the dealer and they could not get it to work either. They said the only option was to order a new vcm which is $600 and then reprogram it to a new fob. I've spent the last day looking through the forum trying to figure something out but couldn't come up with much. Any thoughts or thing to try before the new vcm comes in. Just seems unlikely the vcm is bad just from sitting and everything seems to power up like it should. Thanks in advance!

·
Rider
506 Posts
There can be two pins for the bike. The master pin is factory set and permanent. The other is a rider pin and is programmed by the owner. That one can be lost or reset. It sounds like the previous owner might have given you the rider pin. I don't know if the mothership can/will give you the master pin. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer and owner both said that it was the master pin. The dealer I took it to was the same dealer that sold the bike new.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Sometimes the master pin is printed on a sticker under the side panels. They are usually removed, but it's worth a look.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should also note the dealer said he could not connect with digital wrench because of the security system being active. I thought that was how the dealer was able to see what the master pin was by hooking up their scan tool? So if you didn't have a key fob or knew your master pin they would just hook up digital wrench and it would give it to you...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They did try that but said since they can't get the master pin to work it's keeping him locked out to program a new fob.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I should also note the dealer said he could not connect with digital wrench because of the security system being active. I thought that was how the dealer was able to see what the master pin was by hooking up their scan tool? So if you didn't have a key fob or knew your master pin they would just hook up digital wrench and it would give it to you...
Wrong answer... Digital Wrench is designed such that it can connect and read data within the time before shutdown due to missing fob. I have reprogrammed dozens this way. It may take a skilled or experienced tech and it may take a couple tries to be fast enough navigating the DW menus into fob programming section. DW will retrieve your Master Pin for you as well as matching it up to 4 different key fobs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This was my exact thought by all of the research I have done. I was in there 3 times yesterday asking he tried this and tried that. I could tell he was getting frustrated as I would too if I was him. Kept telling me without that master pin working he couldn't connect. Just trying to avoid a huge bill at the dealership when it seems like it's working like how it should. I work on cars everyday not motorcycles that's why it's at the dealer. Recommend taking it to a different shop then?

·
Registered
82 Posts
As stated I have also programmed fobs without the original and no master pin.It can be done but it has to be done fast and then shut off DW and fire it back up to check.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok thank you. I will check back with the shop and see if they are willing to keep on trying. If not I'll trailer it to the next closest dealer.

·
Bronze member
2,223 Posts
If they (the dealer) were not able to read out the master pin via DW for whatever reason then they could never tell you what type of pin(user or master ... both are just 4 digits) you got for your bike!!!

And btw ... you might have a harness issue as well (handlebar switches used for pin entry) ... or even deeper!

If I was your dealer I would remove the VCM from that bike and put it temporarily into another one and try to read via DW on the other bike and check pin entry there as well.

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:
The bike is running and a new key fob has been programmed. Apparently persistence pays off! I called the dealer again and told them there had to be a way to get in there. The dealer called Indian Tech services and apparently the vcm had locked them out. They were instructed to back probe the vcm to wake it up and then was able to retrieve the pin and program the new fob. Bike runs great and I walked out the door with my bill only 1/4 of what it would have been. Thanks everyone for the advice. Now just need to get it finished up so I can ride it!

·
Bronze member
5,088 Posts
That's a great result. You got the bike running and the dealer learned something new that might help with another customer in the future. And it shows the value of forums like this where you get quality advice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts