Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rider
2,103 Posts
Nice but you made the same error I did and wrapped it from the front rearwards. I revisited it and starting at the rear and moving forwards this prevents the exposed edges of the wrap facing forwards. I treated mine afterwards with the heat resistant Thermotec spray to seal the fibers against moisture ingress.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Car

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice but you made the same error I did and wrapped it from the front rearwards. I revisited it and starting at the rear and moving forwards this prevents the exposed edges of the wrap facing forwards. I treated mine afterwards with the heat resistant Thermotec spray to seal the fibers against moisture ingress.

View attachment 694135
That was no mistake as I did a test wrap from the rear forward and on the stock headers it was a no-go without having tens of steel bands. There isn't a lot of room between the cyl 1 and 2 head pipes. I didn't have to seal either, after about 1500 miles, still going strong. It takes pliers to pull it apart now.

I pulled off the first wrap solely based on color (standard) since I wanted the graphite.

·
Rider
2,103 Posts
Loads of steel bands on mine but after you hit it with the paint you don't really see them. Being an electrician there were no shortage of the steel bands lying around. I was/am not a great fan of wrap but needs must as I was burning both trousers and boot tops, and as I ride all year round in British weather the sealing paint was a 'must.' I also used 2" wrap initially but it was too wide to get a decent tidy wrap round the bends so switched to 1", it was much easier to work with.

This was a tidy wrap I saw at a bike meet. Certainly not my color though.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Loads of steel bands on mine but after you hit it with the paint you don't really see them. Being an electrician there were no shortage of the steel bands lying around. I was/am not a great fan of wrap but needs must as I was burning both trousers and boot tops, and as I ride all year round in British weather the sealing paint was a 'must.'
LOL, that's exactly why I wrapped mine, have the melted toe shield on my Sidi boots to show for it.
Guess that's what I get for having to wear clown shoes.

·
Rider
2,103 Posts
I had an FTR for two years and it was a chore keeping the headers clean.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 8 of 8 Posts