Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Would you like to see the Challenger engine in other bikes?

• Cruiser (Chief)

Votes: 39 45.3%
  • Baggers (Springfield)

Votes: 43 50.0%
  • None

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Touring (Roadmaster)

Votes: 42 48.8%
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it'd be pretty cool if the challenger engine was placed into at least a cruiser like the chief or the Springfield. What do you guys think? I know some people don't like the look of liquid cooled engines as much, but it would definitely influence the next bike I buy (assuming it still matches up well to the European and Asian competitors).

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,113 Posts
I fully believe the Challenger is just the first in a line-up of Powerplus 108 powered motorcycles. First year new models usually have some bugs to be worked out but subsequent models will see the improvements. I expect 2021 and later Powerplus bikes to be pretty much trouble free. That being said what with the economy being what it is I wouldn't expect a big variety of bikes to show up right away.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fully believe the Challenger is just the first in a line-up of Powerplus 108 powered motorcycles. First year new models usually have some bugs to be worked out but subsequent models will see the improvements. I expect 2021 and later Powerplus bikes to be pretty much trouble free. That being said what with the economy being what it is I wouldn't expect a big variety of bikes to show up right away.
That'd be the only thing that gets me into a new bike over a used one.

·
Rider
943 Posts
I believe air cooled will be air cooled, but there may be other fairings for the challenger frame such as a fork mounted.

·
Registered
422 Posts
With water cooling they can come out with something unique like heated lower fairing

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think it'd be pretty cool if the challenger engine was placed into at least a cruiser like the chief or the Springfield. What do you guys think? I know some people don't like the look of liquid cooled engines as much, but it would definitely influence the next bike I buy (assuming it still matches up well to the European and Asian competitors).
Seriously would love to see the PowerPlus engine in a cruiser like the Chief. Would make that platform even more competitive than it already is. I love my air-cooled 111 but would seriously consider a move to the PP engine to get that kind of horsepower & torque.

·
5,113 Posts
Interesting to say the least. That fairing in the drawings appears to have a fixed windshield as opposed to an electrically powered one. The wheelbase may or may not be shorter than that of the Challenger as the drawings can be deceiving to the eye. The seat height appears to be low and the abbreviated rear fender hints at a more sporting appearance than the longer one on the Challenger. Time will tell what actually comes out in a year or so.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would love to replace my victory gunner with the same size bike with the 108 in it. I rode the scout and it just feels small compared to the gunner.

·
5,113 Posts
I also see some little elements that are reminiscent of Victory. The leading part of the front fender is like that of the Cross Country. The side fuel tank profile is reminiscent of the Vegas and Kingpin. How much of these concept drawings will see the light of day is uncertain. Stay tuned.

·
Bronze member
2,704 Posts
I never thot of it - until now..
My Chief and my beloved Kingpin (gone, but never forgotten) are both "heavy cruisers" in category, but are, in fact, nothing alike.. The Victory Kingpin was much more "roomy" in all ergonomic measures.. More so than anything I've ever sat on..

If I could get my Kingpin back - in the form of a PP108'd performance machine - I'd be a buyer...

Reactions: high plains rider

·
Administrator
15,536 Posts
Per the info from CycleWorld and by popular request, I added “touring” to the poll (an obvious and possibly inadvertent oversight). As a Roadmaster owner and a touring guy, I would love to see the increase in horsepower plus the liquid-cooled engine (ask me how my run across the desert was last weekend @ 115-116 degrees). When I had my Wing Julie and I zoomed across that same desert going to LA for a weekend. She wilted badly on her bike (air-cooled v-twin) while I was completely unaffected on my water-cooled steed. So +1 vote for a touring version.

·
Bronze member
3,411 Posts
I never thot of it - until now..
My Chief and my beloved Kingpin (gone, but never forgotten) are both "heavy cruisers" in category, but are, in fact, nothing alike.. The Victory Kingpin was much more "roomy" in all ergonomic measures.. More so than anything I've ever sat on..

If I could get my Kingpin back - in the form of a PP108'd performance machine - I'd be a buyer...
I second that... name it the Spirit and bring it on fenders and all

·
Senior member / rider
1,284 Posts
I’ve been begging for a true midsized (read Softail) offering from Polaris. If Polaris offered a Springfield type bike based on the Challenger, I would very likely be ridding it. Come on Polaris, I’m gettin’ old...

PS - normal fenders please! :D

·
Rider
943 Posts
You all realize that the patent application was 2017 anything in this patent has been around for a while.

·
Bronze member
4,126 Posts
The Chief, Chieftain, Springfield, and Roadmaster's are not ever going to get the Power plus engine. Those bike are Legacy air cooled bikes.

Instead what you will see is more modern bikes with the Power plus engine. The Powerplus engine is a completely different product line. And the Challenger was the first of this line. A touring Model will be next, and a bagger after that.

But Indian is leaving the Chief, Chieftain, Springfield, and Roadmaster's alone with he exception of VVT to help with new emissions standards.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Chief, Chieftain, Springfield, and Roadmaster's are not ever going to get the Power plus engine. Those bike are Legacy air cooled bikes.

Instead what you will see is more modern bikes with the Power plus engine. The Powerplus engine is a completely different product line. And the Challenger was the first of this line. A touring Model will be next, and a bagger after that.

But Indian is leaving the Chief, Chieftain, Springfield, and Roadmaster's alone with he exception of VVT to help with new emissions standards.
The name doesn't matter. I just want a similar style and comfort with the higher performance engine.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts