Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Would you purchase a used helmet?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have a growing collection of helmets, was considering selling a few that I wasn't happy with. Was wondering if there would be any interest if I posted them? I myself, wouldn't buy used.

·
Vendor / bronze
3,021 Posts
Helmets are uncomfortable and not fun. So wearing one, I want to know for sure it will keep most of my heads parts in place in a crash. So the price of a new one is worth it. A used helmet is probably ok but you never know for sure. But if you have some nice socks without holes I might be interested.

·
Founding Member
723 Posts
I saw my(super clean, no chips on the top) HJC before I bought it from Craigslist... A well used helmet is gross.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
For personal use? No chance. If I become that cheap its time to stop riding. As a display collection? Maybe, if it had a unique design, graphics or other historical significance.

·
Premium Member
2016 Indian Roadmaster 120 Stroker
671 Posts
Gotta $5 brain, buy a $5 helmet!

·
Rider
1,333 Posts
Helmets tend to fit and mold slightly over time worn by the user so the answer is a firm no.
Also lifespan is like 7 years and recommended replacement because of materials shrinking and deteriorating but I also know quite a few candidates that have the same helmet forever. To me thats compromising its integrety and if you are truly that cheap when it comes to your noggin.
Helmets are not like socks interchangable.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
I wearing a green sock and a red sock right now and I have another pair at home just like it:(;):)

·
Bronze member
3,562 Posts
Helmets tend to fit and mold slightly over time worn by the user so the answer is a firm no.
Also lifespan is like 7 years and recommended replacement because of materials shrinking and deteriorating but I also know quite a few candidates that have the same helmet forever. To me thats compromising its integrety and if you are truly that cheap when it comes to your noggin.
Helmets are not like socks interchangable.
5 is suggested then replace... plus if you drop it the area of impact is now compromised... buying used you have no idea...

·
Rider
816 Posts
I’ve given a few away on CL but never considered trying to sell one.

·
Rider
1,234 Posts
Ditto on most of the comments here.

Plus one of my own.

We spend good money on our bikes, and we spend a lot of good money on upgrades and accessories. Some of which are strictly cosmetic and they ain't cheap. So why would we then try to save a few dollars on one of the most important accessories we can get as riders?

Reactions: irvin.boston

·
Silver member
5,289 Posts
oh my.... pass the popcorn please

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I spent a fortune on a Schuberth a year ago. Wore it all season, could not get it to not fog up, even with the pinlock. I pulled all of the pads out and washed them, put it on ebay. There is one guy that's interested, was just feeling out if I should throw it up here. Looks like a no, haha. There are a lot of cheapskates out there though.

·
Rider
797 Posts
I bought a used helmet 5 yrs ago for my wife... she said she might want to ride w/ me. I bought used to save a bunch of money because I really didn't think she would ever climb on the back... to date; she ain't never climbed on... I saved a bunch of money! (if I thought for a moment she might be serious, I would have bought new for her....)

·
Rider
816 Posts
Ditto on most of the comments here.

Plus one of my own.

We spend good money on our bikes, and we spend a lot of good money on upgrades and accessories. Some of which are strictly cosmetic and they ain't cheap. So why would we then try to save a few dollars on one of the most important accessories we can get as riders?
So we can use the savings to buy gas and beer.

·
Rider
592 Posts
I say go ahead and list them for sale. Everyone knows what they should do, but that doesn't mean they won't buy just to save a few bucks. Hell you can probably sell a turd if you put a stick in it and call it a fudgecicle!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts