Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of mine has an 18 road master with 17k miles but a color scheme that doesn't excite him. The dealer has a 17 road master with 5K miles and a color more to his liking. The upgrades are about equal and the condition of the upgrades on the 17 is better just from a lack of use.
the trade is about straight up, would you make it? thoughts?

·
Rider
442 Posts
Only thing really different is some of the hand control configurations and the double tap auto windshield up or down so he'll have to learn that which isn't a big deal. If its straight up, why not have the bike that has you turning back at it when you walk away? I would get the one I really want!

·
Registered
63 Posts
If I were the dealer....no...not straight up. The guy would have to come up with some cash. Trade in Value on the 18 RM would not equal the Retail value of the 17....plus all the BS hidden fees that all dealers have.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
If it makes your friend happy, why not?

(that said, the grass on the other side is always greener....)

·
Silver member
5,044 Posts
Remember the 18 have some engine improvements and heat improvements over the 17. The 18's sucked the horn cover back closer to the engine to give it more air. But you get herbie the love bug horn as the trade-off. The 17 horns are quite loud compared to what they use now.

And you have a slightly redesigned piston and a better cam chain tensioner, which makes the 18 and newer model much quiter than the 14-17 models...

But color is important!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my friend hasn't given me the final numbers, dealers are in business to make money so i am sure they will be looking for some

1 - 9 of 9 Posts