Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeing some pretty decent deals on the FTR. I am wondering if the discounts are deep for a reason...not selling well? for you FTR owners, would you buy again? would you be disappointed in the base model?

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Yes would buy again, and no would not buy a base a model.

With all bikes currently sold being 2019 models, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2021 would be a mild upgrade (or discontinued altogether, who knows....)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I would buy again, but not a base model. The usefulness of the extras on the S far exceed the extra cost
Just want to double check - this would not be a primary ride, I would keep my RM, scout, and other bikes so it gets limited attention. Still no on the base in your opinion?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I injured my leg this year. Riding the FTR for extended periods of time bothers my knee right now.

Because of that reason alone, I wish I'd bought a big cruiser (i.e. Chief). Other than that, I love my bike.

I still plan on getting a chief (or similar bike) in the future. I'm hoping the PP108 makes it into the chief.

As others mentioned, I wouldn't buy the base model. The screen and adjustable suspension are too nice.

Honestly, the FTR is an amazing bike for what it's supposed to be (other than the fuel mapping). The problem is that lots of riders don't care to get that. You can get better horsepower on a lighter 1L bike with a bigger fuel tank. As much as I like my bike, I think Indian would sell more if they changed the styling to reduce weight and got more horses out of the engine. Even HD will get like 150HP out of their 1250cc Pan America. I personally don't care because going faster than 125mph doesn't matter, but some people only weigh the numbers pretty heavily.

·
Registered
2019 FTR1200S Race Replica
33 Posts
I purchased a base model at the end of March. If I could do it over I would definitely get an S model. I turn 30 next month and if it makes sense financially I may go for it. The base model was $11.5k USD and I have recently seen S models advertised for around the same price.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yes, definitely. I purchased an S RR, and I'd buy that same model again.

Like Max, I also wouldn't be totally shocked if the bike was discontinued. I think people who never ride one have this idea of what it would be like... maybe something like Harley's old XR1200, but it's not. I also think that Indian's FTR release schedule, small dealer network, typical market segment demographic, sketchy cold fueling issues, and pricing "adjustments" with the bike have not helped any.

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
The engineering flaws of the small fuel tank, vibration and blast furnace heat in the summertime have been consistently noted by folks. For many these are deal breakers.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Noted issues not-withstanding, my bike has been everything I imagined it would be and I love it; powerful, rumbly, sporty (but not too sporty), cruise control, TC+ABS, unique. It ticks all the boxes for me, except the lack of navigation on the screen. If they eventually add that then there is nothing about this bike I don’t like. Even with the stock fuel map, the occasional cold stall didn’t bug me and it ran fine otherwise. With tuning it’s only better than it was.
I kinda love having something that very few people do. I have a non-RR S model and if I changed anything, I might upgrade to the Carbon just for the carbon bits but otherwise I love my black bike.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just bought my 1200 S new three weeks ago for 11,900 . I couldn't pass it up for that price I'm in love with her she is a beast / blast to ride . I get looks / comments from everyone old people young people , most have never seen it before .

Sent from my BBF100-6 using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,293 Posts
Love the bike. Yes I would buy it again. Never had a more problematic purchase before but that was the dealer’s and finance company’s fault not the bikes.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I too like the bike but due age related knee problems, I just cannot enjoy it, so I would not do it again, this is the first bike in 40 years that I made a deal to buy prior to a test ride (made the deal and placed a deposit several months prior to the bikes showing up) and it just has not worked out. I only have around 1200 miles on it after a little over a year and will likely sell it soon.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I too like the bike but due age related knee problems, I just cannot enjoy it, so I would not do it again, this is the first bike in 40 years that I made a deal to buy prior to a test ride (made the deal and placed a deposit several months prior to the bikes showing up) and it just has not worked out. I only have around 1200 miles on it after a little over a year and will likely sell it soon.
Man, I hear you; and that totally sucks. For me, it's not my knees... although I have bad knees and they start to bother me a little after 3+ hours. However, my back is what gets to me. I don't want to admit it; but after riding, I'm usually hurting for a day or two. The FTR does have some pretty stiff high speed compression damping, IMO; and when that's paired up with the busted up roads around here, I'm bound to hit quite a number of spine-jarring hits. That being said, I'm not sure if I could find a bike that is that much better except for maybe an ADV model with a more cushy suspension. The position itself works for me... it's just the jolts to my back over broken pavement and potholes. I did about 110 miles yesterday, and I'm hurting a lot today.

Based on how I feel, I figure I've got maybe 3 to 5 more years in me before I can't deal with it any more and have to either find something more compliant or give up riding much at all (and I'm only in my mid-40s). I'm trying hard to find a non-surgical solution, but it's not working out so far. I'm in total denial mode, though... I've got over 2k miles on it in about two months of ownership.

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
Man, I hear you; and that totally sucks. For me, it's not my knees... although I have bad knees and they start to bother me a little after 3+ hours. However, my back is what gets to me. I don't want to admit it; but after riding, I'm usually hurting for a day or two. The FTR does have some pretty stiff high speed compression damping, IMO; and when that's paired up with the busted up roads around here, I'm bound to hit quite a number of spine-jarring hits. That being said, I'm not sure if I could find a bike that is that much better except for maybe an ADV model with a more cushy suspension. The position itself works for me... it's just the jolts to my back over broken pavement and potholes. I did about 110 miles yesterday, and I'm hurting a lot today.

Based on how I feel, I figure I've got maybe 3 to 5 more years in me before I can't deal with it any more and have to either find something more compliant or give up riding much at all (and I'm only in my mid-40s). I'm trying hard to find a non-surgical solution, but it's not working out so far. I'm in total denial mode, though... I've got over 2k miles on it in about two months of ownership.
Have you tried wearing a kidney belt? Maybe that would help support the back. Just to add to the "organ recital" I'm seeing the Ortho this week. I'm hoping they will put a new shoulder in, one and done...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts