Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or am I the only idiot thinking out of the box. I prefer leather bags over painted on any bike.

IN MY OPINION......The hard bags on the Chieftain look like they came off a Victory. They look fine on a Victory but again IMO look "out of place" on the Chieftan. I wonder If Indian will release a version of the Chieftain with the distressed tan leather seat and bags. I am sure the cost of making that happen would add another $2000+ to the Chieftain aftermarket. Polaris accessories have never been a bargain.

Anyone else prefer leather or am I the lone idiot in the room.....

OR at least black leather bags to match the seat on the Chieftain as an option.....

·
Founding member
1,021 Posts
I much prefer the hard bags and like the look. I also prefer the black over the distressed tan. Check with your dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I much prefer the hard bags and like the look. I also prefer the black over the distressed tan. Check with your dealer.
I'd take the black but with black leather hard bags. Looks more Vintage and has the same capacity. Lot's of guys love painted hard bags though. I am the odd man out on this one I know. Gonna cost me to switch them out. Plus I would have to keep the originals for resale down the line

·
Registered
12 Posts
the seats are basically the same except black vs the distressed tan. No interest in putting the vintage bags on a chieftain, defeats the purpose in my opinion. I dont think the hard bags look like victory's at all. I had a Vic XC prior to the chieftain. The XC bags had a much more stretched out appearance in the back end

·
Registered
107 Posts
Agreed, I like the hard bags and don't think they look like the Cross Country. I had a Cross Country before the Chieftain and I wish the Indian had the Cross bags they are a lot larger and hold more cargo. Aeromach does make aftermarket leather bags for about $550 and then you can buy the Corbin seat for 700.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I previously owned a XR, and the chieftain bags remind me of the X bike bags a little, but that reminder immediately goes away standing back looking at the bike as a whole. I love both the hard bags on the Chieftain, and the leathers on the vintage. They did it right for the market demand. Out of curiosity, would like to see black leather bags on my Chieftain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It would be interesting to see a leather covered hardbag lid in Tan. possibly with fringe hanging between the two Indian hinges. I like the look of the tan seat for the Chieftain, I wish I had ordered tan to begin with. too invested in the black leather now.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,763 Posts
While I think that the tan leather seat and bags look good, they're not really my style. I do like the way the leather gets dark and "old" looking after being treated with the aftermarket kit. For some reason I still prefer black leather.
As far as bags go, I had soft bags on my heritage and really did not like them at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased my Vintage over the Chieftain for a different reason. The wheels. All my other Indians have laced wheels. And so does my 98 Road King Classic. Motorcycles have wire wheels! Period! I would never buy a bike without them. It just ain't natural!

·
Registered
487 Posts
IMAG0463.jpg
I'd take the black but with black leather hard bags. Looks more Vintage and has the same capacity. Lot's of guys love painted hard bags though. I am the odd man out on this one I know. Gonna cost me to switch them out. Plus I would have to keep the originals for resale down the line[/QUOTE
IMAG0463.jpg
Is this what you are thinking.

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
This bike looks real familiar....as does the lady doing the demo ride.

IMAG0463.jpg

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
I'm looking for the opposite, Chieftain bags on a Classic. If anybody has pair of Red/Cream Chieftain hard bags they're selling, please let me know.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I dig the frozen bag..can we get those custom fitted to the bike? lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts