Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Won't start after trying to install Motohorn on 2021 Chieftain

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  splitt 
#1 ·
Folks, I have a 2021 Chieftain Dark Horse. I had the bright idea to purchase the duel Motohorn to replace the stock horn. My problem is now my bike won't start. The screen comes on like nothing is wrong but nothing at all when I try to start it. And the icing on the cake is the horn isn't working either.
At this point I'm happy to keep the original horn but how do I fix the bike not starting?? Please help!

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Don't know about Motohorn but I put a Buffalo brand on my Classic and had absolutely no issues. Double check all your connections and make sure the battery cables are snug. Also, just somewhere else you could check, I just had this issue with my bike after taking a long trip and a few short trips locally. I went out to take my wife's phone to her at her shop and everything lit up as expected, hit the starter and nothing. Used my code and the bike fired right up. Seems my fob picked just then to go dead.
Thank you, Pilot Bob! I tried with both the code and the FOB with the same result.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Please describe what you did to install the horn.

Did you add a relay to the circuit or just remove the old horn and install a new one.

Also, when you turn the bike on do you hear the fuel pump run, does the starter engage but the engine doesn’t start?
Hey Goatlocker, let me start by saying I'm an idiot. I did not disconnect the battery first. I watched a video on YouTube and didn't hear that mentioned.
I disconnected the old horn, cut the wires and reconnected to the new horn. Initially, it worked but it stopped. After, I reconnected the old one and the rest is history.
The fuel pump does come on though.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
How did you wire the horn? Maybe you shorted a wire during the installation. I would start by checking your fuses for a blown fuse. I’m not sure if the ignition switch and horn are on the same circuit, but others could chime in With more knowledge. Also check the battery and ground connections. If the problem is related to the horn install, it’s most likely one of those two issues.
The start relay could be bad, but that wouldn’t explain the horn malfunction. Coincidences do occur, but when you hear galloping in the distance, look for horses instead of zebras.
ChiefHelm, I'm sure it was zebras I was looking for this particular time (lol). I just cut the old one and connected the new one. It worked initially but not for long (which was surprising) and I reconnected the old one.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.