Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Won't start after trying to install Motohorn on 2021 Chieftain

1241 16
Folks, I have a 2021 Chieftain Dark Horse. I had the bright idea to purchase the duel Motohorn to replace the stock horn. My problem is now my bike won't start. The screen comes on like nothing is wrong but nothing at all when I try to start it. And the icing on the cake is the horn isn't working either.
At this point I'm happy to keep the original horn but how do I fix the bike not starting?? Please help!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2014 Indian Chief Classic
363 Posts
Don't know about Motohorn but I put a Buffalo brand on my Classic and had absolutely no issues. Double check all your connections and make sure the battery cables are snug. Also, just somewhere else you could check, I just had this issue with my bike after taking a long trip and a few short trips locally. I went out to take my wife's phone to her at her shop and everything lit up as expected, hit the starter and nothing. Used my code and the bike fired right up. Seems my fob picked just then to go dead.

· Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
6,260 Posts
Please describe what you did to install the horn.

Did you add a relay to the circuit or just remove the old horn and install a new one.

Also, when you turn the bike on do you hear the fuel pump run, does the starter engage but the engine doesn’t start?

· Registered
95 Posts
I just finished installing 3 motohorns on my Springfield. Used a relay and fuse. No problems for me.
Hopefully you disconnected the battery before you did anything else.
I would bet on a loose connection somewhere.

· Registered
172 Posts
How did you wire the horn? Maybe you shorted a wire during the installation. I would start by checking your fuses for a blown fuse. I’m not sure if the ignition switch and horn are on the same circuit, but others could chime in With more knowledge. Also check the battery and ground connections. If the problem is related to the horn install, it’s most likely one of those two issues.
The start relay could be bad, but that wouldn’t explain the horn malfunction. Coincidences do occur, but when you hear galloping in the distance, look for horses instead of zebras.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know about Motohorn but I put a Buffalo brand on my Classic and had absolutely no issues. Double check all your connections and make sure the battery cables are snug. Also, just somewhere else you could check, I just had this issue with my bike after taking a long trip and a few short trips locally. I went out to take my wife's phone to her at her shop and everything lit up as expected, hit the starter and nothing. Used my code and the bike fired right up. Seems my fob picked just then to go dead.
Thank you, Pilot Bob! I tried with both the code and the FOB with the same result.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please describe what you did to install the horn.

Did you add a relay to the circuit or just remove the old horn and install a new one.

Also, when you turn the bike on do you hear the fuel pump run, does the starter engage but the engine doesn’t start?
Hey Goatlocker, let me start by saying I'm an idiot. I did not disconnect the battery first. I watched a video on YouTube and didn't hear that mentioned.
I disconnected the old horn, cut the wires and reconnected to the new horn. Initially, it worked but it stopped. After, I reconnected the old one and the rest is history.
The fuel pump does come on though.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did you wire the horn? Maybe you shorted a wire during the installation. I would start by checking your fuses for a blown fuse. I’m not sure if the ignition switch and horn are on the same circuit, but others could chime in With more knowledge. Also check the battery and ground connections. If the problem is related to the horn install, it’s most likely one of those two issues.
The start relay could be bad, but that wouldn’t explain the horn malfunction. Coincidences do occur, but when you hear galloping in the distance, look for horses instead of zebras.
ChiefHelm, I'm sure it was zebras I was looking for this particular time (lol). I just cut the old one and connected the new one. It worked initially but not for long (which was surprising) and I reconnected the old one.

· Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
6,260 Posts
The new horn working for a little bit and then quitting makes sense when you consider that the new horn draws a lot more current than the old one. Hopefully you just blew a fuse. However you could've melted a wire. And unfortunately I'm afraid that if you burnt some wires they could've fried the wires beside them as well. That could be your problem with the bike not starting.

Easy stuff first. Start with the fuses. If all of them are good then follow the wires back as much as you can looking for burnt wires. Make sure you take the switch box apart too. The switch connections are more susceptible to arching and sparking than the wires. If you can't find them with a visual then you may have to get the wiring diagram and start ohming them out.

Good Luck!

· Registered
172 Posts
ChiefHelm, I'm sure it was zebras I was looking for this particular time (lol). I just cut the old one and connected the new one. It worked initially but not for long (which was surprising) and I reconnected the old one.
Since the horn worked briefly, my best guess is that this horn compressor draws allot more power than the factory horn. You probably need a dedicated run directly to the battery for the horn with a relay for the switch. I would still start by looking for a blown fuse which would occur if you overloaded the circuit.

· Registered
172 Posts
The new horn working for a little bit and then quitting makes sense when you consider that the new horn draws a lot more current than the old one. Hopefully you just blew a fuse. However you could've melted a wire. And unfortunately I'm afraid that if you burnt some wires they could've fried the wires beside them as well. That could be your problem with the bike not starting.

Easy stuff first. Start with the fuses. If all of them are good then follow the wires back as much as you can looking for burnt wires. Make sure you take the switch box apart too. The switch connections are more susceptible to arching and sparking than the wires. If you can't find them with a visual then you may have to get the wiring diagram and start ohming them out.

Good Luck!
We must have been typing at the same time. We have the same suspicion. I hope the fuse was enough to protect the wiring and switch in the circuit. Maybe he got lucky.

edit: I would follow Goatlocker95 excellent advice to check all the wiring in the horn circuit and anything nearby. If you’re real lucky, the horn and ignition relay are on the same circuit and the fuse blew so fast that nothing melted. In that case, the entire problem is solved with a new fuse. Then you have to wire the horn on its own fused circuit with a relay for the switch with appropriately sized wires and fuse for the current draw.
if you’re real unlucky, there may be melted wires and the ignition wiring could have been collateral damage.

· Premium Member
2021 Indian Chieftain DH , 2022 Scout 60 Mini bagger, 2021 Scout Bobber
230 Posts
Check the ignition boots that one didnt slide off. on the right side of the engine.

· Registered
6 Posts
I'm having a similar problem. I installed the Motohorn per their instructions on my 19 Chieftan. Used the relay and removed the old horn. It works fine for a few honks and then I get an error code displaying "Horn. Current Below Norm..." when I go to the bikes diagnostics it says "C122A: Horn. Current Below Normal or Open Circuit". I shut the bike off, everything resets, and it works for a while. So, with my limited knowledge of electronics, the computer is reading a different resistance in the horn circuit? I'm thinking the relay does not draw as much current as the original horn? If so, how do I get around this without reinstalling the old horn? Could a capacitor help?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts