Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Indian Chieftain which I purchased brand new and the dealer has had my bike for four months now and they think it’s fixed . Here’s the issue....... the bike doesn’t recognize the key fob and won’t start and to make matters worse it doesn’t give me the key pad to put in the code to bypass the system. The dealer has replaced the main wire harness along with countless other electrical parts including main computer . They think it’s fixed and the dealership has been doing tests on it and I don’t think I will trust the bike . Just wondering if this is a major problem .

·
Administrator
15,404 Posts
I’m up on most of the threads and this is the first I’ve seen where both the fob and the backup/ manual entry fail. I’ve seen several mentions of the fob failing (for reasons other than the battery), and it’s usually either the bike not recognizing the fob or vice versa. Usually it’s a quick visit to the dealership and recoding — back on the road pronto. Nothing like this.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
So on a Chieftain you don't enter the code with the turn signal switch?? Cause I have yet to hear that not work.

·
Rider
643 Posts
So on a Chieftain you don't enter the code with the turn signal switch?? Cause I have yet to hear that not work.
I might be wrong, but I think the newer bikes with ride command actually have a screen on the ride command that lets you enter the code that way. I have a ‘16 Darkhorse chieftain and I use the turn signal switch, but it’s pre- ridecommand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have ride command so no using the signal at all there should have been a key pad to pop up where I can put in a code and that will bypass the fob and allow me to start the bike so neither one works

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
On a 2017 nothing will come up on the screen. You just enter the code into the switches with nothing on the display asking for a code.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This plus 1. The keypad that pops up on the RC screen was implimented in the newer version of RC, and is not in the 2017-2019 models. In order to input the code, you move the turn signal switch left, right, or in, depending on the number.

For example, if your code is "1234", you would push the switch once to the left, twice to the right, three times to the left, and four times to the right, after powering on the bike. If your code has a "0" in it, you substitute "in" for "left or right"; for example, if your code was "1,2,0,4", you would press once to the left, twice to the right, one press in (as if you were cancelling a turn signal), and four to the left. Once you do that, within 20 seconds, the security "shield" icon on the RPM gauge will go away and the bike will start and run normally.

·
Premium Member
2018 Indian Chieftain (Tanto) Steel Gray
300 Posts
Same here 2018 Chieftain. Pin entered via turn signal switch. Works every time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had my 2018 Chieftain at the dealer on New Year's Eve for some work and they updated the RC. I now get a number pad to enter the code. Wish they would have told me about it because when I got home I couldn't get it start after washing it, either with the fob or using the code with turn signal. I pulled the fuse for ecm and then got the screen and was able to get it started. I'm assuming I got something wet trying get all the salt off it. I hope this doesn't become a problem. I do like entering the code on screen much better.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,767 Posts
I had my 2018 Chieftain at the dealer on New Year's Eve for some work and they updated the RC. I now get a number pad to enter the code. Wish they would have told me about it because when I got home I couldn't get it start after washing it, either with the fob or using the code with turn signal. I pulled the fuse for ecm and then got the screen and was able to get it started. I'm assuming I got something wet trying get all the salt off it. I hope this doesn't become a problem. I do like entering the code on screen much better.

I updated my 2017 last week and I just verified that I do not get the keypad. When does the keypad appear,? just after the KeyFob not Detected box pops up?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't know when it changed - but my 19 RC code screen come up if the fob isn't found. No problems with it yet. Never could remember how to get the turn signal thing done the time I needed it...

Reactions: meangrn1800

·
Registered
18 Posts
The software version under system information is: 3359 20181025PL. The keypad didn't appear till after my last visit to the dealer so I'm assuming they updated it.

·
Bronze member
1,767 Posts
The software version under system information is: 3359 20181025PL. The keypad didn't appear till after my last visit to the dealer so I'm assuming they updated it.

The latest update on the RideCommand download site is 2019 1017. That would be a newer version by naming standards.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts