Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,910 Posts
If OEM supports it, sells it and not stupid $$... I'd go that path. When I used up my oil kits i have already, I'll secure the best from Indian ... and if that's synthetic, so be it. My '14 chieftain is coming up on 50k; can't hurt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If OEM supports it, sells it and not stupid $$... I'd go that path. When I used up my oil kits i have already, I'll secure the best from Indian ... and if that's synthetic, so be it. My '14 chieftain is coming up on 50k; can't hurt.
Coming up on 15K on my 18 Chief Vintage and was wondering if it would help more than hurt?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,910 Posts
Coming up on 15K on my 18 Chief Vintage and was wondering if it would help more than hurt?
Understood. I know people used to say that about cars... if you switch to synthetic from regular oil, didn't seal up as well, etc. But... I'll give it a go. . 15k miles...hell.. you've just broke it in :)

·
Senior member / rider
513 Posts
Interesting that Indian says when using the 15w60 oil in 111 bikes still change oil at 5,000 miles. Why pay the extra $ then?

·
Rider
551 Posts
Full synthetic oil will not make your engine leak. It will increase any seepage or leaks you do Have. As far as being Crazy money.... it definitely is. My Vintage only had 1000 miles on it last change. But if I'm going full synthetic next time I would go Amsoil or Mobile 1. They have been independently tested a dozen times and always come up at or near the top. If you want to read oil threads then get ready for a good few hours of reading.
Been there done that!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Full synthetic oil will not make your engine leak. It will increase any seepage or leaks you do Have. As far as being Crazy money.... it definitely is. My Vintage only had 1000 miles on it last change. But if I'm going full synthetic next time I would go Amsoil or Mobile 1. They have been independently tested a dozen times and always come up at or near the top. If you want to read oil threads then get ready for a good few hours of reading.
Been there done that!!!
Spoke with my service tech today and this and he suggested I stay with the 20-50 full synthetic I have been using and use the 15w60 only if I plan to do a lot of cold weather riding.

·
Bronze member
2,765 Posts
On the other hand, the "60" means more viscosity during extremely high temps - like my months of 100+ F "city" riding ...

Reactions: Frazier

·
Registered
49 Posts
Seen this article on Indians actual web apge and since I am coming due on a change would using the new synthetic is a wise choice...

i have used the indian oil for the 1st 4 years,2015. went to semi synthetic,seems to be a little smoother

1 - 10 of 10 Posts