Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any women out there ride to Springfield if so what are your thoughts. I am considering buying a Springfield trading in my Scout.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just bought one on Sunday, so I haven't had a chance to do more than ride it a few miles. I am coming off similarly sized bikes, so I cannot speak to how it would feel moving up from a smaller bike. I find the suspension really nice and think it accelerates and handles well. I love that it has cruise control, I bought it mostly because I think it is a beautiful, retro looking bike. I got the jade green/black version.

Kathy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just bought one on Sunday, so I haven't had a chance to do more than ride it a few miles. I am coming off similarly sized bikes, so I cannot speak to how it would feel moving up from a smaller bike. I find the suspension really nice and think it accelerates and handles well. I love that it has cruise control, I bought it mostly because I think it is a beautiful, retro looking bike. I got the jade green/black version.

Kathy[/QUOTE
Congratulations, I'm looking at getting the same one this Saturday. The retro look is amazing on these bikes and thanks for the info on the suspension. Enjoy your ride

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
One of the women here in Australia is organising a world record attend of the most Indians riden in one place. It will be held in Sliverton NSW where parts of the Mad Max Movie was made. This will be in May 2010 She rides a Springfield and a real fun person ,she has been featured in Magazines with her bike that has a houses saddle on the back of all things the bike is something special. If you would like to see here and what she is doing have look on your tube or google the above. Great to see a great women doing something to promote Indian motor cycles .Found her photos that one of the guys from here in Australia posted ,he also went with Chris to check out the area and make contact with the local community to work out the details.
upload_2019-5-3_9-59-3.png

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know this post is a few weeks old, but I traded my Scout for a Springfield on Memorial Day weekend. It took only a few rides to get used to the heavier bike. My biggest issue was reaching the kickstand. I had it replaced with the reduced reach kickstand, and it made a huge difference.

Somewhere on here, I posted some longer comments about the transition. When I wrote it, I hadn't had a chance to take the Springfield out for a longer trip. This weekend, I traveled from Baton Rouge to Nashville, mostly along the Natchez Trace. It is truly an awesome bike! Still have to stop every once in awhile to stretch out and walk around a bit, but a lot less often than on the Scout. Really looking forward to taking it on more trips in the future.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I know this post is a few weeks old, but I traded my Scout for a Springfield on Memorial Day weekend. It took only a few rides to get used to the heavier bike. My biggest issue was reaching the kickstand. I had it replaced with the reduced reach kickstand, and it made a huge difference.

Somewhere on here, I posted some longer comments about the transition. When I wrote it, I hadn't had a chance to take the Springfield out for a longer trip. This weekend, I traveled from Baton Rouge to Nashville, mostly along the Natchez Trace. It is truly an awesome bike! Still have to stop every once in awhile to stretch out and walk around a bit, but a lot less often than on the Scout. Really looking forward to taking it on more trips in the future.
That's great that you got a chance to take the bike out and see how it did doing the long miles. I look forward to the weather cooling off here in coastal SC so I can get some miles on mine. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
MFEJets,
Bought my SF in 2017. What all can I say... easy to ride, fun, gorgeous lines, powerful, smooth, balanced, awesome torque, low seat height (I'm 5'6"), easily modified, and oh yea, did I say powerful? I'll tell anyone who is serious about riding (I have 11,000+ miles so far) that it's the best (don't yell at me) riding Indian motorcycle. Read the reviews and study the information. I have advised more than one person who was looking at a Scout and was serious about riding distances, to test ride the SF. Go with your gut..if you're thinking about it, you may already know what to do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MFEJets,
Bought my SF in 2017. What all can I say... easy to ride, fun, gorgeous lines, powerful, smooth, balanced, awesome torque, low seat height (I'm 5'6"), easily modified, and oh yea, did I say powerful? I'll tell anyone who is serious about riding (I have 11,000+ miles so far) that it's the best (don't yell at me) riding Indian motorcycle. Read the reviews and study the information. I have advised more than one person who was looking at a Scout and was serious about riding distances, to test ride the SF. Go with your gut..if you're thinking about it, you may already know what to do.
That's awesome!!! I'm glad to see other women out there that live riding. And I would have to say that you are correct about the best riding bike!! I bought mine in July and we rode down to Tennessee in August and put on over 4000 miles that trip. I absolutely love this bike. I had to get an extended reach seat from Corbin but other then that by far the best riding bike.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I test rode a Springfield in 2017, I was nervous but by half way through the ride I was nothing but smiles. Had a Scout at the time and couldn’t financially take the hit, bought a Victory instead and tried for 2.5 years to make the bike fit me but I couldn’t get it there...sold it a month ago and pick up this beauty. I’ve only gone out once, but the smiles were there, looking forward to many more miles

·
Registered
256 Posts
Congrats on your new ride. I just know it will bring you many smiles of satisfaction. I feel that way every time I take mine out. They handle so well and the suspension is so plush. I had mine lowered a bit, as I'm only 5'2" and I love it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just wrote the below to someone else. Just thought I'd copy and paste to save time. LOL

I started on a Yamaha Virago 535 and outgrew it quickly. Suffered for 3 mos. LOL Then I bought the 2016 Scout and loved it. I rode it for four years and still ride it occasionally.

Our dealer got a used 2018 Springfield Dark Horse in last year and I had been drooling over them since 2017. I had to get it. I love my new ride for long distance. I had around 68,000 miles on my Scout when I bought the Springfield. I was happy with it on longer trips. I just kept hearing how the bigger bikes were better for distance riding. I think, for me, they were right. The seat is much more comfortable, the cruise control is wonderful, and more storage in the saddlebags and back fender rack is SO worth it.

I have really enjoyed having a bigger bike. There is a learning curve with when to shift in the mountains, etc. It just was not the same as my Scout. I think I enjoyed my Scout on the mountain roads better, but the Springfield was nibble enough to make it enjoyable. I had no issues. I think I've just been riding my Scout longer so it was easier to compare the two differences and be happier with what I knew well. The longer I ride my Springfield, I'm anticipating it getting better.

The ONE con is that I cannot back it up. I'm not quite 5' 2 so there is no leverage for me to back it up. It gets frustrating at times. Also my husband made me a grab bar to use on my kickstand since I can't reach it. One day I'll get the airride suspension system to help with those issues.

So I don't have a Dark Horse Chief, but those two bikes are similar, and that's my experience so far. I can't choose between the two bikes, so I still have them both. :)

Reactions: BHlvr

·
Bronze member
1,572 Posts
This is my wife on her Springfield last July in Rocky Mountain National Park.
Her expression most only in the the moment. She loved that bike and only traded it this year for her new Chieftain Limited.

·
Bronze member
1,572 Posts
Yikes.....and no gloves.
I was nice enough to install the heated grips for her.
That was a wild ride through the park that day. It was pleasant enough to ride without gloves and then we passed over the mountain and all hell broke loose for about 15 minutes. 9” of hail and snow fell and we had no where to pull over. Oncoming traffic was throwing up waves of slush at us.
When we got to Estes Park it was 70 degrees. And the day before it was 107 in Utah.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Love those kind of rides. :eek::oops::LOL:

Reactions: MilwDave

·
Registered
99 Posts
3 years, and 40,000 miles, and I live in Chicago so only get 8 months of riding if I'm lucky. I've been smiling for the last three years. I love my Springfield.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts