Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Wiring mess on a '22 Indian?

1540 29
Trixie was sit-testing a new Indian Chief(?) today at a local
dealership, and I took a photo of the wiring mess on the left side of the frame neck.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank

I haven't seen something this bad since....well, I don't recall seeing something like this, especially on a $23,000 motorcycle.

Am I being too 'picky' about this?...
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I must say, this makes my two Royal Enfields (2022 650 and 350) look pretty good, and both of them together were less than half of what that Indian is priced at.

Indian definitely needs to 'step up their game' on this sort of thing. I don't recall my '15 or '16 111 Chiefs having anything remotely close to this as far as shoddy workmanship, they were detailed and finished with the best of them.

·
Bronze member
3,770 Posts
that's because they have a big ol fat headlight bucket to hide it in... should have run it on the frame back bone... then know one would give a crap... but I suppose there is not enough room there

Reactions: DeeRow

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
NO, no, no...y'all are missing the point here! This is Indian throwing a bone to the aftermarket companies, just like with Kuryakyn and the taillight trim piece, and fairing "eyebrow" trim pieces.

Intern at Indian: "You know, that wire harness looks a little messy...we should install a wire loom or something to tidy it up a bit!"

Aftermarket: "Say no more, fam, we got you!"

·
Bronze member
1,406 Posts
I must say, this makes my two Royal Enfields (2022 650 and 350) look pretty good, and both of them together were less than half of what that Indian is priced at.

Indian definitely needs to 'step up their game' on this sort of thing. I don't recall my '15 or '16 111 Chiefs having anything remotely close to this as far as shoddy workmanship, they were detailed and finished with the best of them.
As a founding member, do you still own a Indian motorcycle of American origin?

·
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As a founding member, do you still own a Indian motorcycle of American origin?
No, not for about five years now. I joined this forum in 2014 because of my interest in the soon-to-be-released 2015 Indian Chief after seeing it displayed at the '14 Sturgis rally.

I bought an 'Indian Red' Chief Classic as soon as I could get my hands on one, rode it for a year, then traded it in for a green/cream Vintage model. I miss that beautiful, red, basic Chief a lot...
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

My '16 Vintage...
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

I rode that bike for a couple seasons, then traded it in on a BMW S1000R.

I haven't owned an Indian bike since, however. They just kind of left me behind when they began to subdue the styling away from the wide-white, full-fender, basic models like my '15 Chief.

The Scout and FTR don't interest me in the least either, so I'm kind of stuck out here in 'no man's land' as far as owning another Indian right now, but you never know, they could come up with something that I would absolutely have to have, but as time passes, that probably becomes less and less likely.

In recent years, I've been trending towards smaller, less expensive, motorcycles than what Indian offers....of course, with the exception of my ridiculous '22 Triumph Rocket 3 that is.

·
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After trying on the Indian in the Sturgis dealership's showroom, we sauntered over to their used bike barn across the parking lot, and found this very nice, 2019 Harley 107 Fat Boy. We're generally not Harley fans, but we both like this model's sorta subtle styling departure from what we're used to from those Milwaukee guys. It doesn't project quite as much 'Grampa's Toy' image as most of their other models in this category do.

It has some useful factory accessories, and believe it or not, the exhaust is still stock, which is something we like.

Oh, I almost forgot, it has very tidy wiring.

It's possible that Sturgis Indian may soon lose a Fat Boy from their used inventory, and gain a 2020 Triumph Speedmaster.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle

Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Vintage, 2019 FTR-RR, 2021 Scout Bobber, 1977 Yamaha XS750
1,513 Posts
Trixie was sit-testing a new Indian Chief(?) today at a local
dealership, and I took a photo of the wiring mess on the left side of the frame neck.
View attachment 716346

I haven't seen something this bad since....well, I don't recall seeing something like this, especially on a $23,000 motorcycle.

Am I being too 'picky' about this?...
View attachment 716345
I also was less than thrilled with the wire tangle on my Chief Bobber DH. I used a Velcro strap to “carefully” reposition the bundle and tidy up the look of the frame tubes. I have 10,500 miles on the clock and so far so good.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust
Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle
Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Tire Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 30 Posts