1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_20190902_093028121.jpg
IMG_20190902_091751323.jpg
IMG_20190902_140229391.jpg
A question for our Master Techs; I am swapping out a damaged harness in a 2017 Classic... anyone out there versed in the various changes that have been made over the production range (2014 thru 2019)? I am seeing a few minor connector changes in the ones I have here, not sure what swaps can be made without introducing computer errors and such...

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck with that octopi...
Thanks! They may look a bit daunting, but not that bad once you start breaking them down into the individual systems each 'tentacle' supports. For the most part Polaris has labeled the connectors that could be mistakenly plugged to the wrong places.
The real mess is having to pull apart the frame to fit major portions of the harness in place. That is a real pain that I don't really want to tackle multiple times on the same job.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also had to replace brake lines on this one... that is one badass job to tackle. The ABS controller is situated up underneath and everything tucked in so tightly that it is a bear to even get at the required fasteners. Here is what she looks like AFTER all the frame and suspension parts are pulled and all electrical removed... still a beast!

IMG_20190902_140033204.jpg

·
Rider
910 Posts
Thanks! They may look a bit daunting, but not that bad once you start breaking them down into the individual systems each 'tentacle' supports. For the most part Polaris has labeled the connectors that could be mistakenly plugged to the wrong places.
The real mess is having to pull apart the frame to fit major portions of the harness in place. That is a real pain that I don't really want to tackle multiple times on the same job.
Glad you have the space needed to tackle that kinda job. I worked for Lockheed for quite a number of years developing harnesses and cables. Engineers love to design product with no access to locations with possible trouble.

·
Registered
39 Posts
View attachment 523294 View attachment 523300 View attachment 523302 A question for our Master Techs; I am swapping out a damaged harness in a 2017 Classic... anyone out there versed in the various changes that have been made over the production range (2014 thru 2019)? I am seeing a few minor connector changes in the ones I have here, not sure what swaps can be made without introducing computer errors and such...
Ok, I’ll do my best to help here. Do you already have a new harness? If so, What’s it from?

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I’ll do my best to help here. Do you already have a new harness? If so, What’s it from?
I have a spare 2014 harness labeled Vintage... might be in error because I did not remember any 2014s called Vintage. At any rate, the main difference I see is up top configurations for console and lighting, controls, etc.. All other aspects appear to be identical. I am aware of the headlight power-pin issue and this one shows no signs of any heating. I am thinking that later harnesses used an additional adapter harness up front for tank console vs. fairing connections.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
View attachment 523294 View attachment 523300 View attachment 523302 A question for our Master Techs; I am swapping out a damaged harness in a 2017 Classic... anyone out there versed in the various changes that have been made over the production range (2014 thru 2019)? I am seeing a few minor connector changes in the ones I have here, not sure what swaps can be made without introducing computer errors and such...
No tech here, but I would imagine there were significant changes in MY18. Thats when they changed up the hand controls and several other items.
So the cut off for what we know to be a standard main harness could very well be 17. I have long suspected that 14-17 were the same. 18 on different......

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, most of them look identical except for what goes on up front (on top)... I haven't quite figured out if there are additional circuits for newer features or if they had most of it in place from the start. The handlebar controls connector has changed as of 2018 and newer for sure even though the lighting circuits look all the same.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a spare 2014 harness labeled Vintage... might be in error because I did not remember any 2014s called Vintage. At any rate, the main difference I see is up top configurations for console and lighting, controls, etc.. All other aspects appear to be identical. I am aware of the headlight power-pin issue and this one shows no signs of any heating. I am thinking that later harnesses used an additional adapter harness up front for tank console vs. fairing connections.
Would you be able to upload a pic of the differences shown next to one another? Instinctively I want to say this won’t work. I’m all for making things fit if we can tho

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, On closer inspection, both harnesses have the same circuits, but they are terminated up top in different ways.

2014 Vintage connector on left 2017 Chief on right.
The console connector on the 2017 has only the 4-pin socket, The 2014 has that 4-pin plus the 3 smaller connectors for console functions.

IMG_20190903_103227671.jpg

In image below, the 2017 on left has two 16-pin major connectors that go into the nacelle or fairing (depending on model). This harness is used with an additional small harness that brings some of the circuits back under the tank console.
The 2014 on Right only has one 16-pin and the other one has only 8-pins because there is no need to bring any circuits back from nacelle.
IMG_20190903_120929086.jpg

Long story short, the harnesses could interchange but would take a little modification to get everything right. 2014 harness will NOT be useful on the 2017 build, I will just get another 2017 harness for it and be done.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You can’t repair the existing harness? Some solder and heat shrink can go a long way.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can’t repair the existing harness? Some solder and heat shrink can go a long way.
One word... CANBUS.
I agree with you and would have tried this except for a considerable amount of damage on the harness and the fact that these computers are pretty fussy about sensing fairly precise resistances and voltages in some of these circuits. We must have maximum reliability in the repair... like brand new. If it was just turn signals or something similar, I would be repairing the old one for sure.

·
Registered
317 Posts
One word... CANBUS.
I agree with you and would have tried this except for a considerable amount of damage on the harness and the fact that these computers are pretty fussy about sensing fairly precise resistances and voltages in some of these circuits. We must have maximum reliability in the repair... like brand new. If it was just turn signals or something similar, I would be repairing the old one for sure.
Makes sense, it’s definitely worth doing the job right

1 - 20 of 23 Posts