Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,215 Posts
What is on the other end? Did you buy the bike new/used? Is there a fuel controller hiding somewhere at the other end?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bought the bike new for my wife. She wanted to put the battery back in herself this year. (I take it out over winter). She forgot to hook up a wire. She took stuff apart she didn't have to and now does not know how it goes back together. Bike is 100% stock.

·
Bronze member
1,215 Posts
Bought the bike new for my wife. She wanted to put the battery back in herself this year. (I take it out over winter). She forgot to hook up a wire. She took stuff apart she didn't have to and now does not know how it goes back together. Bike is 100% stock.
Perhaps that is the negative lead for the trickle charger? Do you have a trickle charge port?

Reactions: LongRoadHome

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. I think I will attach it where the negative lead from the battery attaches to the frame. I hope it is just a lead from a part of the bike that needs a ground. Shouldn't hurt anything. The only power lead that would could have an eye hook on it and terminate under the seat would be the lead from the starter switch back to the solenoid. And I don't think it is that.

·
Bronze member
1,215 Posts
I’d definitely say it goes on the negative battery terminal OR the negative terminal on the solenoid in the photo. You can see a red lead, same gauge going to the positive side of the solenoid.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Look at the positive (red) side of the solenoid where the black wire with red collar is attached.
That looks like a charger pigtail wire. Looking at the black wire held in hand it has the same type collar except black instead of red.
It was that particular style collar I noticed which is the same type used by Deltran battery tenders.

I don’t know if that location is unusual for factory or dealership installed charging wires. I added the one on my Scout myself, connecting directly to the battery.

i’m going to guess it was connected to your battery since you say (oops! your wife) you removed and wife installed it.

So I doubt it was connected to the frame....
Unless (she {oops again}) you began the removal by disconnecting the frame ground wires.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
goes on the negative battery terminal OR the negative terminal on the solenoid in the photo. You can see a red lead, same gauge going to the positive side of the solenoid
Didn’t notice you said this before I replied. I was in agreement with your first message.

No. Not onto Solenoid!
Would do nothing there... Except possibly give a connected charger fits, or worse. 😣

Good to see I wasn’t the only one noticing the red collar black wire on that solenoid!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ummm, where does the wire come from? What's on the other end? I must've missed that.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Ummm, where does the wire come from? What's on the other end? I must've missed that.
SAE connector should be somewhere near coolant bottle. Has in-line fuse on the red wire.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah I believe black should go to ground. Doesn't matter where. I'd have to look at mine to see what the factory does. When I throw a leg over, I look before.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Look for the other end, just to verify, but I'm sure that comes from the battery tender plug. It's supposed to go under the screw on the negative post on the battery.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just took my battery out couple days ago that's definitely the pig tail for the trickle charger. Goes underneath the screw for the ground battery

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts