Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have proper cold weather gear, and I'm due for new pedestrian winter boots and coat. Does anyone currently use their riding/winter gear as walking around winter attire?

I'd love to just buy one nice jacket and one pair of boots. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
The Indian Redwing boots are great for riding. Plus I wear them to work all day, very comfortable. I have a few of the Indian jackets, high quality, and CE protection pops out if you not riding. Would recommend both.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Indian Redwing boots are great for riding. Plus I wear them to work all day, very comfortable. I have a few of the Indian jackets, high quality, and CE protection pops out if you not riding. Would recommend both.
I'm assuming you wouldn't where those boots in the snow though right?

·
Silver member
3,407 Posts
I bought a pair of shearling lined boots from Overland for cold weather riding, they can go anywhere I want them to go.

Reactions: aebsr

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a pair of shearling lined boots from Overland for cold weather riding, they can go anywhere I want them to go.
Thanks! Wife and I have already picked out a 2 pairs of Overlands... unless something else grabs my attention I think I might go that route.

·
Silver member
3,407 Posts
Thanks! Wife and I have already picked out a 2 pairs of Overlands... unless something else grabs my attention I think I might go that route.
You're welcome. I have bought quite a few products from that company and have never been disappointed. Feel free to call them by phone as they are very good with customer service.

Their shearling gloves are the bomb. I even bought the mits and they are bulky but you can forget cold hands.

·
Silver member
3,407 Posts
Cockpit B-3 Leather Bomber Jacket

This coat is the best I've ever seen for a motorcycle. Of course it's fine for walking around. This jacket tells the cold to just bugger off. At 45 degrees a long sleeve T is plenty underneath. It does look and feel extremely luxurious and does stand out a bit so if your shy this may not be your style.;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cockpit B-3 Leather Bomber Jacket

This coat is the best I've ever seen for a motorcycle. Of course it's fine for walking around. This jacket tells the cold to just bugger off. At 45 degrees a long sleeve T is plenty underneath. It does look and feel extremely luxurious and does stand out a bit so if your shy this may not be your style.;)
Yeahhhhhh, not shy but not my style. I'm intrigued though.

@vintage Yeah, I'm in Maryland and we'll get over a foot a few times a year. I used to love winter...

·
Registered
222 Posts
You can never go wrong with a pair of Danner boots and as for the jacket Indian had their classic leather jacket on sale for $200.00. I bought the jacket and it will definitely serve both needs (riding and casual).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can never go wrong with a pair of Danner boots and as for the jacket Indian had their classic leather jacket on sale for $200.00. I bought the jacket and it will definitely serve both needs (riding and casual).
Nice. That makes two new brands I'm introduced to. Kind of hard to not give these Wellington's a try $57! Because you know, I'm cheap.

·
Silver member
3,407 Posts
Yeahhhhhh, not shy but not my style. I'm intrigued though.

@vintage Yeah, I'm in Maryland and we'll get over a foot a few times a year. I used to love winter...
I am not a winter fan. I'm a cold weather puss.

·
Silver member
3,407 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish I could be cheap but i tend to like the expensive stuff.
Same. Wife makes fun of me all the time. I've got expensive taste, but wish I didn't I'll probably stick with the Overlands. I'll have to try on some of those jackets before I make a final call.

·
Silver member
3,407 Posts
Same. Wife makes fun of me all the time. I've got expensive taste, but wish I didn't I'll probably stick with the Overlands. I'll have to try on some of those jackets before I make a final call.
I tried on two jackets from Overland and each one had a particular issue of fitment or function that precluded my purchase from them. I bought a shearling coat from them years ago but it is not suitable in design for motorcycling.

When teased(harassed) about my needing the most expensive of everything I just say that's why I have you babe.

·
Administrator
13,939 Posts
Plus one on the Danners w/ Indian Classic 2 coat. The Danners are completely waterproof and I've got the 300gm thinsulate -- toasty! Our troops wear these in ten degree overnite temps to 90 degree daytime. The liners wick and are completely breathable so they handle all temp ranges extremely well. Vibram soles, excellent traction. And the jacket looks great in all settings. Both items very functional, very comfy, great on the bike or out in the town after a day of riding.

HINK

·
Silver member
4,145 Posts
You can go with a nice pair of Doc Marten's in the Wellington style of boot. It's a pull-on, has lug soles and is a very comfortable fit. Good for cold weather riding and knocking around town with jeans. I use a brown soft-shell ski type coat from .511 Tactical. No wind gets in while motorbiking or skiing. I got one a size larger than I usually wear so I can layer if needed. The coldest I've ridden in so far was 17F, and was wearing my soft shell over a golf wind shirt and a long sleeve T. Warm as toast. And before all you Yankees go on about how much colder y'all ridden in that beats my measly 17F record, notice that I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, which is located in the sub-tropics and not in the frozen nawth. We ride year-round down here.

·
Horseman of the Apocalypse & all around great guy!
340 Posts
This to me is a timely thread. Or, to be more precise, my noticing of this thread is pretty timely since Friday morning I finally get to go pick up my 2017 Chief Vintage/DMC Tomahawk SE sidecar rig. I had everything delivered to the dealership in Fargo and I'll get to drive it north 80 miles home in what's likely to be 20-30 degree weather. It's been dumping snow in the western part of ND all week and we're likely to get ours soon, though it has been snowing a bit here and there for the last few days. I've got two routes I can take home - one is the interstate with a 75mph limit and the other is a highway with 55mph limit. I checked out a wind chill calculator and, assuming a 25 degree outside temp, at 75mph it will feel like 1.3 degrees and at 55mph it will feel like 3.7 degrees. I may just take the quickest option since I don't think my body will really be able to differentiate between 1.3 degrees and 3.7 degrees. LOL

I don't have any "proper" winter riding gear, so I'll be decked out in my winter hunting gear - if it's good enough for hunting ducks and geese in December I'm guessing it will at least be functional riding the sidecar 80 miles to home. And being fully camo'd will be soooo North Dakota. :)

I think I am gonna need to look at some of the other options people have mentioned in this thread. If there's any opportunity to ride more before the sub-zero temps arrive in January I certainly want to get out there.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

1 - 18 of 18 Posts