Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gents,
I am new the motorcycle world. I just bought an Indian Scout over the New Years and have been dying to go for a ride. Besides the short hauls around the block and up and down the street. My fingers get numbs and I am sure I already look silly in snow pants riding, but at least I get to ride. What are your recommendations on winter riding gear?

I have a SS2200 full face helmet (loud by the way)
Snow pants and summer riding gloves.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Ladies and Gents,
I am new the motorcycle world. I just bought an Indian Scout over the New Years and have been dying to go for a ride. Besides the short hauls around the block and up and down the street. My fingers get numbs and I am sure I already look silly in snow pants riding, but at least I get to ride. What are your recommendations on winter riding gear?

I have a SS2200 full face helmet (loud by the way)
Snow pants and summer riding gloves.
When you are new it's natural to need everything all at once.
That's ok but some of this stuff is pretty expensive, so ya want to do it right.

If all of your other stuff is "working" even sort of, I would start with a pair of leather insulated mittens.
Mittens work much better at keeping your fingers warm and they don't break the bank.

You are going to want to make your first strike count so I would start doing research on electric gear.

·
Super Moderator
5,799 Posts
Hey @USMC aircrew - Being in NOVA you have a large choice of shops and gear stores to visit and ask recommendations as well. Of course, everyone will try to sell you there stuff, but at least you can try things on.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
dress like you're going snowmobiling, winter riding is not a fasion statement. Full face helmet with balaclava and ear plugs if helmet is loud. windproof winter jacket like a snowmobiler would wear along with insulated bibs. I wear a Frabil ice fishing suit. Good snowmobiling gloves, heated if possible and well insulated boots. good luck and good riding, ps in sub freezing temps any exposed skin, even 1 square inch will frostbite very quickly with the cold and wind effect of riding.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have been really happy with my Fox Creek Leather Jacket and Chaps. Arbor tree company double thick sweat shirt is a plus, for additional layer under jacket. Sage Bush close outs are one of the best presents my wife has ever bought me!!

·
Administrator
13,789 Posts
Tourmaster heated jacket liner for the top ( fits well under your Indian jacket and completely transforms winter riding); leather legs / hog legs for your legs; gator skins balaclava; gator skins boot liners for your tootsies. Invest in heated grips and seat. Silk underwear for borderline conditions and either Underarmor or Helly Hanson for below freezing. I stay half-helmet down to mid 20's unless it's a full day ride, then go to my modular ( but then again, I'm on a RM with an outstanding windshield and you're on a Scout without that protection). Firstgear winter gloves or Held winter gloves if you can afford 'em ($200 -- my Firstgears replaced my last set of Helds and the Firstgears work just fine)

I ride year-round ( in Colorado ) and these things are all what I use.

HINK

·
Registered
968 Posts
my best winter friend is a neck gaitor, Carhartt. Works wonders

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm not rich by any mans standards, so I make due with what I have. I also live in Northern Florida, so I'm good pretty much year round, but it does get chilly here. I have ridden a few sub 38 degree rainy nights home from work. If it's like that, I wear a pair of 5.11 combat boots, BR4SS socks or Darn Tough(love both), some Arc'terx LEAF pants. They were hand me downs from a friend who served. Pricy on the open market. For the above waistline I have an Under Armor thermal with a zip up hoodie on top and a Triple Aught Design Stealth jacket. It's not heavy, but it stops the wind and rain, which is super important. I have a Hoo-Rag thermal neck guard/face mask/balaclava. For $22 they are nice and offer plenty of designs. As for helmet, I just have my Indian 1/2 lid with stripe. I sometimes wear a beanie underneath on the super chilly days. As for gloves, I just have a pair of the Indian deerskins. I love them. Yes my hands get cold, but I plan on doing the heated grips here soon. So that should help.

So to some it up, it's a mixed bag kind of thing. I wear what works and what I have. Most comes from the friends and family I have.

Best of luck, welcome to the tribe, and stay warm!

Chris

·
Registered
124 Posts
stopping wind , water, and not bulky if you can... there's a lot of thermal warm clothing.... good gloves and boots go a long way to comfort.... good luck

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree with early post. I use a pair of Gerbing heated gloves and boot insoles. I wear winter socks, Thermal under wear and a under armor shirt with my jamin Leather jacket and a vest. Full face helmet and a neck gator. Can ride all day at 65+ regardless how cold. Windshiled also helps with lowers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I always pack my rainsuit for winter riding just in case I didn't dress warm enough. Breaking the wind makes a huge difference. A problem with some snowmobile/winter type gloves is many have an elastic band across the back of the hand creating a cold spot. I did a fair amount of winter riding in the NOVA area without insulated boots. Keep the boots greased sealing out the wind. Cold feet can be an issue for me. I got some "weather proof" socks from COSTCO, and considering they look like plain old socks, they are very warm.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I use a long sleeve shirt, hoodie, and a jacket I got at Sears. Best jacket for keeping out cold weather or rain that I've had. Made by Nordic I think. I recently got an upgrade in gloves from Alpine Stars that have a double Velcro thing (wrist and lower gauntlet) also has palm sliders and a visor wiper and knuckle protection. Good boots, thick socks, thermal underwear bottoms and jeans. Also full face Schuberth modular. Very quiet and keeps the wind out. Sometimes I wear the TurleNeck balaclava that can come up to be a hood as well. Haven't needed it much with the aforementioned great jacket and helmet. Also the windshield helps a lot.

Sent from my IBM Selectric

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think firstly you gotta ask yourself...are you a leather or textile sort of guy? Get gloves and boots that are warm and waterproof. Not sure what your rank is so buy the best that you can afford. For your legs, chaps of some sort work great and are easily removable. Overpants (textile) will work, but are a pain to take off if youre stopping along the way, however they are what you want for max warmth. Rain suit, get one, stick it in your saddle bag, trust us, you'll need it. Jacket, leather or textile?...I have a Fox creek commander that I wear in winter cold, warm and has a giant pocket in front that'll hold everything you'll ever need including a full size Glock. A good Carhart type jacket works also, make sure the sleeves are long or your gloves are gauntlet type...maybe both, when you reach for the bars regular jacket sleeves will ride up your arm. All of your underclothes you probably already own being a Marine. Good luck with the Scout, be careful over there, no ones looking out for you, you look out for you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had a Gerbings heated jacket and gloves for over five years and they still work great. I bought the optional thermostat and I'm never too cold or too hot. Matched with leather chaps and it's comfortable. I ride in cold rainy Canadian weather.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a "FreezeOut" brand wind breaker that is good insulation as a layer but also by itself when its in the 60's give or take, I have found I need some different things at this time of the year in the midwest though...looking for new footware...

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
You can spend as little or as much as you want. I skipped the overpriced heated seat, grips and inner liners for a quality set of thermals sweatshirt and leather jacket, that is good down to 50F. From 49F to 30F I use a set of coveralls that I got from work, they are carharts I think and my burton snowboarding gauntlets. Those gloves are the best at keeping out the cold. Below 30F I have a truck to drive.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts