Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just tossing this out there for your careful consideration....

DipYourCar.com Plasti Dip Community Forum

Ya say ya got soft paint?
Me too.
I've also always wanted a yellow Chief.

CAUTION- This stuff is temperature sensitive so you might need a garage heater to pull this off. Just DO NOT use the bike engine.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I'm just tossing this out there for your careful consideration....

DipYourCar.com Plasti Dip Community Forum

Ya say ya got soft paint?
Me too.
I've also always wanted a yellow Chief.

CAUTION- This stuff is temperature sensitive so you might need a garage heater to pull this off. Just DO NOT use the bike engine.
I have used this on one of my Shelbys for long trips. I bought their clear plasti-dip and sprayer and did the front end of my car to keep bugs and junk off. Works great and comes off easy. I have thought about doing my entire truck a different color. It makes a good protective coating.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Seems like a whole bunch of people are using this stuff, read up a bit on it.
you asked me to find examples and I did. I even sited other plasti-dip car kit vendors admitting it causes clear coat damage.

fonzi deletes all negative reviews on his forum. I also proved that.

Look, I understand you have an emotional connection to aerosol rubber coatings, since you sprayed your whole car with it. But that doesn't change the fact that Plasti-Dip damages car paint and is therefor not an approved use as STATED BY THE MANUFACTURER. Heck, take "plasti-dip" out of the picture completely and just realize that xylene and naptha damage paint, and that's any compound containing those will damage any paint.

unfortunately for you and your buddy, you drug this thread on for 3 pages now, and anyone reading it can now clearly see three things:

1. evidence of damage
2. evidence of cover-up/removal of damage complaints by vendors
3. links to more information

so now, instead of helping your pal Fonzie, you've made the situation even worse, since any rational person seeking information about plasti-dipping a car can clearly see the reality of the product and it's intended uses.

if you had just left it alone, sales of Dip Your Car stuff would have been virtually unaffected, and perhaps even increased, since I flat out said that the stuff is amazing just be careful with it.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Winter ain't all that long for us, Big Daddy...
Yeah you rite.

I'm thinking it would take me about 2hrs to do the dip coat spray and then about two weeks to peel off all of the overspray.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Interesting, I used it on my car and had no problem at all. You're probably right about not using it on the soft clear coat on the Indians and that may have been the issue with those failures in the pictures or possibly new paint. Just wouldn't risk it on ours.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Interesting, I used it on my car and had no problem at all. You're probably right about not using it on the soft clear coat on the Indians and that may have been the issue with those failures in the pictures or possibly new paint. Just wouldn't risk it on ours.
Yea, I was excited about the stuff, till I read all that, sounds as though tons of people come out fine, but to early for me to try it. Maybe there will be some one who posts up their good luck with it on a newer Indian as well.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Reactions: pioneerscot
1 - 11 of 11 Posts