Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

Registered
2020 Challenger base model
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to work with my local dealer to buy a left over 2020 Base model. I was just on the phone with the sales manager and he said that the Challenger is hot now, especially with winning the race. And the numbers he is suggesting for a purchase prove he isn't lying! Full list price, plus freight, prep, docs, etc. I told him the amount I would pay, after my trade in, and we are about $500 - $600 apart. He said he would make some calls to other dealers and see how much it will cost him to get the bike I want (they don't have it in stock).

Damn, if Indian lost that race, maybe they would be more willing to work with the price?!? 馃槩

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Eat the 500-600 bucks you're apart and let them throw in a free first service instead.
I am waiting on a call back from the dealer. Actually, I thought about exactly that. I will see if he is interested in offering anything, other than the middle finger! LOL

Rider
Call around to other dealers like Strugis SD see what there prices are with shipping. There are other dealers that have been mentioned in other threads that have a good rep. Why let the dealer that does not want to deal get you what you want only to add their charges to the bike when they deliver.

Bronze member
my dealer doesn't have any base or limiteds... only dark horses

Registered
Yesterday, I requested a quote from a dealer for a Limited with about $3500 in accessories. They called me and said the bike as chosen with the accessories I picked plus an extended warranty was about 40K LIST price OTD. I HAD TOLD THEM I HAD OTHER QUOTES. He asked what my lowest price was. I told him $32,424 OTD. I did say, I was willing to pay $500 more to deal local. Care to guess what price they came back at? I am located in Southern California

Silver member
Old Nascar saying, 鈥淲in on Sunday, Sell on Monday鈥
I think that qoute comes from the 60's muscle car era and is credited to some Ford dealer; not NASCAR....

Registered
99 chief , 18 roadmaster, 07 roadking, 15 softail
Yesterday, I requested a quote from a dealer for a Limited with about $3500 in accessories. They called me and said the bike as chosen with the accessories I picked plus an extended warranty was about 40K LIST price OTD. I HAD TOLD THEM I HAD OTHER QUOTES. He asked what my lowest price was. I told him $32,424 OTD. I did say, I was willing to pay $500 more to deal local. Care to guess what price they came back at? I am located in Southern California
32924.00 ?
Thats my guess :ROFLMAO:

Registered
That price ($32,424) seems pretty reasonable. I got my dark horse for $29,300 OTD. At the time, Indian had a sale going on accessories, so you could get $400 off $2000 in accessories. They also had another promo for $750 off accessories. So of course I bought probably $2200 in accessories (passenger boards, sissy bar, luggage rack, black toe pegs, heel shifter, etc). But it only cost me about $1000 due to the discounts. So all told, it was about $30,400 or so OTD including accessories. So your price seems good given you are wanting more accessories. (y)

Bronze member
I did a Limited Tourer on the web site... Blue Limited, trunk with sound and arm rests, crash bars front and back, passing lamps and passenger floor boards it came to 35K... just sayn'... I realize shipping, prep and document fees would add to it... but not much... so it came in about 1 grand more than a ICON Roadmaster classic...

Bronze member
I imagine the dealership employee who told you that has no proof sales are going to increase due to the Challenger winning an 8 lap race when the overwhelming majority of riders know nothing about it. Plus, the race was on Saturday...there鈥檚 no way they鈥檝e had a rush on Challengers between Sat and today.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
I imagine the dealership employee who told you that has no proof sales are going to increase due to the Challenger winning an 8 lap race when the overwhelming majority of riders know nothing about it. Plus, the race was on Saturday...there鈥檚 no way they鈥檝e had a rush on Challengers between Sat and today.
There are only a few 2020 base model left overs in my area, especially in the color I want. I have called around to 5 dealers in my state and only two have the bike, and they aren't offering any screaming deals. I am going to try and bridge the difference by asking for some combination of: heel shifter, hand grips, first two services, etc. And, the dealer has a wheel you spin when you buy a new bike this week - I am going to get that thrown in too. Otherwise, I will just wait until next year to buy a 2021.

Bronze member
Was just at El Cajon Indian and they had only one 2020 Base Challenger left but slightly discounted. Looks like they took the list price added freight, destination, set up, etc then took them off to make it look like a big discount. If I recall it's slightly less than list at $20,700 before tax, etc. Not many 2020's on the floor actually, maybe 50-60% of what they normally stock. Maybe gearing up for the 2021's to arrive soon I hope. Tempted, but for some reason I'd prefer to own a 2021. Just the number 2020 has too many weird connotations connected to it.

Premium Member
That-a-boy Colorado Mac, make them work to earn your money and business...

I don't know if anyone else knows this but if a dealership already has the bike you want on the showroom floor, you shouldn't have to pay for the freight/shipping charges. The dealership should absorbe/eliminate that cost in the closing sale of the motorcycle however, if your dealer has to have a particular bike sent to their dearlership for you then you will/should have to pay the entire shipping/freight cost(s) regardless if you are purchasing it with cash or on a bank/credit loan.

Also, if the delership had already set-up the bike in advance of a purchase, for example: like a demo bike, or they set the bike up so they can start it on the show room floor for customers to hear then you shouldn't be charged for the enitial set-up and assembly cost of the bike either, that is if you purchase it.

And, if you use long form to do your federal income tax deductions, you can write the entire cost of the sales taxes off that you paid for the bike (or car, truck, etc.) on your long form federal income taxes for the same year it was purchased.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts