Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have a windshield on their FTR? I'm debating it, but I don't like that there's not a quick release option and that it's so expensive.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those didn't come up when I searched. Those are definitely cheaper than the Indian option and look like they'd be pretty easy to get on and off. Does anyone have experience with how much wind protection they offer? It's not a big deal now, but I generally ride from the first salt-free day of the year to the last salt-free day of the year, so it gets pretty cold.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Those didn't come up when I searched. Those are definitely cheaper than the Indian option and look like they'd be pretty easy to get on and off. Does anyone have experience with how much wind protection they offer? It's not a big deal now, but I generally ride from the first salt-free day of the year to the last salt-free day of the year, so it gets pretty cold.
Hi , I have just bought and fitted a powerbronze screen to my bike, I have an rr so had to remove the head light cover to fit the screen.
All in I would say it took 20 min to remove the original light cover and fit the screen.
I took the bike out for an hour or so along some rural roads up to about 60 mph and on to the motorway up to 85 ish.
I did notice an improvement with wind buffeting on my full face helmet especially up to 75 mph however this is a small screen so it will never protect you like a full size windshield.
I chose this screen because it looked good on the bike and gave my neck muscles a little break at Up to 70 plus speeds and it cost less than the factory screen bracket never mind the windscreen. Win,win.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That looks pretty good. Is it pretty easy to remove?

That case also looks nice. What side case is that and what bracket are you using?
You can remove 2 Allen head screws and take the windshield right off. It's a 2 point handle bar mount.

The case is a super cheap Plano 4 pistol case mounted on the stock Indian side case bracket. It wasn't supposed to be permanent. I mounted the bracket and was trying to decide on what would be a good size. I grabbed that case of the shelf in the garage, held it up for size. Then I thought, hey....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I glued and riveted a piece of kydex to the back of the case. I then held it up to the bracket and used my heat gun to fashion the hooks. I added a couple of strips of Velcro just so it doesn't move around at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It was more of a proof of concept than a permanent idea. I still plan to use a more substantial case, of similar size with the same mounting idea. I have to say though, it works great.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Does anyone here have a windshield on their FTR? I'm debating it, but I don't like that there's not a quick release option and that it's so expensive.
this one works for me- just big enough to keep the wind off your chest - and you can see over the top -

·
Registered
63 Posts
I went with the Puig, its made specifically for the FTR and only $125. Does a surprisingly good job of directing airflow off the chest and smoothing the air flowing to the helmet area. It would be fairly easy to remove and reinstall thanks to the Genius mounting method.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went with the Puig, its made specifically for the FTR and only $125. Does a surprisingly good job of directing airflow off the chest and smoothing the air flowing to the helmet area. It would be fairly easy to remove and reinstall thanks to the Genius mounting method.
Do you need to take off the headlight cover to fit this screen?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I went with the Puig, its made specifically for the FTR and only $125. Does a surprisingly good job of directing airflow off the chest and smoothing the air flowing to the helmet area.
What cruising speed can you attain before the wind becomes uncomfortable? Does there seem to be a perfect MPH for cruising?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Maybe it’s because I’ve never had a bike with a windshield so I don’t know any better, but I’m comfortable on the FTR (no windshield) at 70-75. Faster than that seems to get buffety but to me, meh whatever I’m used to it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts