Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just picked up my challenger yesterda, my question is what did everybody use to remove the sticker on the windshieof, heat gun ?

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Definitely do NOT use a razor blade!!!!

You will scratch your windshield. Those stickers peel right off. Be careful using a heat gun. If you get the area too hot, you may run the risk of distorting the windshield. Make sure it on the lowest setting and start far away. Or try using the edge of a plastic credit card.

·
German Rider
1,733 Posts
A little WD40 will do the job to loose the glue.

Cu,
Sven

·
Bronze member
1,535 Posts
Take your wife or gal's hairdryer, hold at an angle and rub off with the edge of your finger nail. Did it on my Dark Horse with matte paint...and no issues!

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Yeah WD-40 and/or Goo-Gone works just fine,
I would advise against using Goo-Gone. It strips paint and powder coat. If it strips paint, it might have adverse effects on your windshield. I wouldn't want that stuff anywhere near my motorcycle.

Ya'll should look into using this stuff called Pure Citrus if you're looking for an adhesive remover. It's marketed as an air freshener but works better and faster than any Goo-Gone/Goof Off or the like without damaging surfaces. Plus it smells wonderful! and not toxic. It can be found at Wally World, Home Depot and other major box stores in the cleaning isle.

·
Rider
569 Posts
Another vote to use a hair dryer. Even the low setting gets the job done. Simply warm up the sticker and the glue underneath it, use your fingernail to get under a corner, peel back slowly (you can keep the hair dryer blowing on the crease you have created by pulling back on the sticker), and then use WD-40, Shout, Pure Citrus, or anything like that, and you will be fine. ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Air dryer can easily blow too hot air to the point the windshield can be permanently affected. Seem that happening on a glider canopy.
I vote for a sponge with hot water, then cleaning alcohol to remove any glue leftover

·
Rider
550 Posts
i would not use alcohol on a plastic windshield. I have used goo gone on painted surfaces many times, it is a citrus product!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone, just picked up my challenger yesterda, my question is what did everybody use to remove the sticker on the windshieof, heat gun ?
Zippo lighter fluid is the best thing to use to remove stickey residue hair dryer will not get to hot and it will peel right off clean up with lighter fluid I also did the gas tank one too next the one on the side of the radiator housing lol

·
Bronze member
3,439 Posts
my sticker on the windshield had absolutely zero glue... peeled right off with no residue

·
Rider
944 Posts
No razor blades. Use a heat gun on both
No heat gun to easy to ruin the windshield. I would use a hairdryer on low setting. Also as others have said it should just peel off. If not make the dealer do it if they are close enough.

·
Bronze member
3,172 Posts
Mine just peeled off.the tank stickers I used a little gas on a rag at the first gas station.cleaned the glue right off.
I figured if gas ruined the paint,might as well find out right off.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
i would not use alcohol on a plastic windshield. I have used goo gone on painted surfaces many times, it is a citrus product!
Use goo gone sparingly. I've had it remove paint. Not to the point where it strips the paint completely. But after wiping the painted surfaces, The paint color shows up on the towel. If you did it on your motorcycle... chances are you stripped a portion of the clear coat off.

Saying it's a citrus product isn't false, but it isn't a major ingredient in their product. It has petroleum and methyl ether as its main ingredients. Those 2 ingredients will strip paint or eat into surfaces.

The Pure Citrus product I showed. Is 100% citrus oil and will not damage products. It works better and faster than any adhesive remover that I have found. I spent the majority of a full year with a job where I would use an adhesive remover every day, multiple times a day. With that job, time was extremely sensitive and I hated struggling with other substandard adhesive strippers and I would get a headache from the harsh chemicals (I was working indoors). I tried everything out there. Pure Citrus is what I would recommend. They really should start promoting it as an adhesive remover. They'd probably make more money.

I also use the Pure Citrus to clean the sticky residue off of my pocket knives that I use everyday to open boxes. As I have no fear of any chemical reacting with my blades in a negative way. One little drop on a rag and run it over the blade with 2 swipes usually does the trick. Plus the natural oil is preserving my blade and keeping it from rusting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts