Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I started playing around with my 2016 Chieftain to try and remove the windshield rattle (pretty much as per the directions found on YouTube looking for "Indian Motorcycle Power Windshield Rattle Fix v2.0") and immediately found a problem which, from the low, low levels of my mechanical expertise, I cannot seem to come out of...

The idea, if I'm not mistaken, is basically to put a sort of a shim in front of the windshield "screw" to stop it from jerking back and forth and, to do that, you need to remove two small screws holding the "lid" of the above mentioned mechanism. As a picture is worth a thousand words, here it is:

rattle02.jpg

The two screws are in the yellow box. Here's the problem: there's a metal edge right in front of the screws (red arrow) which prevent me from reaching them with any type of screwdriver. I tried, following the directions in the video, removing the two bolts (one of them is "kinda" visible at the bottom in the image) holding the metal plate but to no avail. There isn't even the slightest sign of movement...

Does anyone have a clue on how I could get to those darn screws? Any idea would be much appreciated.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,028 Posts
Howdy @mzuli ,
I have a Phillip's that has the point bent at a 90 degree angle on both ends; you should be able to find one at the auto parts or hardware stores. It also appears that the screw heads protrude enough to grasp them with a small set of Vise-grip pliers and give them a sharp twist to break them loose. As an old shop teacher I seldom advise the use of pliers on otherwise undamaged screws but in a case like this, if you're careful, it should do the trick.
Good luck! --- Randall

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi everyone,

I started playing around with my 2016 Chieftain to try and remove the windshield rattle (pretty much as per the directions found on YouTube looking for "Indian Motorcycle Power Windshield Rattle Fix v2.0") and immediately found a problem which, from the low, low levels of my mechanical expertise, I cannot seem to come out of...

The idea, if I'm not mistaken, is basically to put a sort of a shim in front of the windshield "screw" to stop it from jerking back and forth and, to do that, you need to remove two small screws holding the "lid" of the above mentioned mechanism. As a picture is worth a thousand words, here it is:

View attachment 414480

The two screws are in the yellow box. Here's the problem: there's a metal edge right in front of the screws (red arrow) which prevent me from reaching them with any type of screwdriver. I tried, following the directions in the video, removing the two bolts (one of them is "kinda" visible at the bottom in the image) holding the metal plate but to no avail. There isn't even the slightest sign of movement...

Does anyone have a clue on how I could get to those darn screws? Any idea would be much appreciated.
One of those videos floating out there, in fact the video made by the man who is marketing that rattle kit, says you should try and find the longest screw driver you can find to access those screws. I have the kit waiting to be installed myself. Did you take off the two wire ties holding that bar that might deny you clear shot to the screws?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just went through the same scenario with my 2016 RM. After consulting with my friendly neighbourhood mechanic I just drilled a hole through the metal plate directly in front of each screw (basically in the area where the arrow shows in your picture). I wrapped the area with a big towel to catch any metal savings that flew off from drilling but this allowed me to angle the screwdriver directly in front of the screw. You want to be careful that you do not strip the existing screw so this offered the best chance of getting it out without any unnecessary drama :).

Cheers!!

Kevin

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2015 Chieftain. Removing the two 10mm bolts and cutting the wire ties as shown in the video did nothing - that metal bracket would not budge and there was no way to access those two little 2.5mm screws without stripping them (the bracket interferes just enough to not allow getting a solid hold on the screws). I ended up taking a dremel and cutting out a couple of half circles in the bracket - one in front of each screw - just enough to allow clear access with a long 2.5mm allen screwdriver bit (I bought one with a magnetic bit on Amazon with turned out to be very handy). Now I have clear access to those screws without taking anything else off.

·
Bronze member
1,617 Posts
Sorry to hear about the troubles getting the plate off. I've done 4 of these for others and they all use the same base plate so there appears to be some variations in the base plates that Indian used in some of the models.

If anyone is not happy with the kit that they purchased from me, send it back and I will gladly provide a refund for the kit. Sorry for any frustrations.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not your fault that some Indian builds are a little different. I still got my screws out, but I ended up buying a batch of super-hard 2.5mm screws on Amazon. With my little notches cut out, I had no problems getting those little screws in and out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just went through the same scenario with my 2016 RM. After consulting with my friendly neighbourhood mechanic I just drilled a hole through the metal plate directly in front of each screw (basically in the area where the arrow shows in your picture). I wrapped the area with a big towel to catch any metal savings that flew off from drilling but this allowed me to angle the screwdriver directly in front of the screw. You want to be careful that you do not strip the existing screw so this offered the best chance of getting it out without any unnecessary drama :).

Cheers!!

Kevin
I had the same issue with my 2015 Chieftain. Removing the two 10mm bolts and cutting the wire ties as shown in the video did nothing - that metal bracket would not budge and there was no way to access those two little 2.5mm screws without stripping them (the bracket interferes just enough to not allow getting a solid hold on the screws). I ended up taking a dremel and cutting out a couple of half circles in the bracket - one in front of each screw - just enough to allow clear access with a long 2.5mm allen screwdriver bit (I bought one with a magnetic bit on Amazon with turned out to be very handy). Now I have clear access to those screws without taking anything else off.
That sounds like a plan, if a professional screwdriver is not able to do the trick!
Thanks guys for sharing your experience - I guess some of our bikes are just a bit "unusual", wonder why...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear about the troubles getting the plate off. I've done 4 of these for others and they all use the same base plate so there appears to be some variations in the base plates that Indian used in some of the models.

If anyone is not happy with the kit that they purchased from me, send it back and I will gladly provide a refund for the kit. Sorry for any frustrations.

Not at all your fault, no worries! :)
Actually, I was just wondering if you ship your kit to Switzerland, where I live... since you're here, might as well ask, right?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Howdy @mzuli ,
I have a Phillip's that has the point bent at a 90 degree angle on both ends; you should be able to find one at the auto parts or hardware stores. It also appears that the screw heads protrude enough to grasp them with a small set of Vise-grip pliers and give them a sharp twist to break them loose. As an old shop teacher I seldom advise the use of pliers on otherwise undamaged screws but in a case like this, if you're careful, it should do the trick.
Good luck! --- Randall
Thanks, that could be an idea, if I can find a driver like that - might make sense before drilling a couple of holes in the metal edge...

Cheers!
Marco

·
Bronze member
1,608 Posts
Thanks, that could be an idea, if I can find a driver like that - might make sense before drilling a couple of holes in the metal edge...

Cheers!
Marco
Right angle screwdrivers have their place, but you cannot the needed pressure to keep the tip aligned straight to avoid stripping a tiny Phillips screw. Larger screws yes. Visegrips will damage screws so I would replay on replacing with a different head fastener maybe Allen for next time.

·
Bronze member
1,617 Posts
Not at all your fault, no worries! :)
Actually, I was just wondering if you ship your kit to Switzerland, where I live... since you're here, might as well ask, right?
Absolutely. I've done international shipping before. Send me your address and I will get you set up.

·
Registered
172 Posts

No problem at all with your kit...finally have a windshield that doesn't rattle :)....just a tad disappointed that Polaris couldn't have put a bit of effort into providing a solution.

Well done and appreciate your efforts!!

Cheers

Kevin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi All,

I just wanted to give everyone a short update on the subject.
I got TinIndian's kit this week in my mailbox (btw, super quick shipment overseas ;)) and went to work last night.
I ended up taking the fairing off to get better access to the screws, which I removed with needle nose pliers and then a very fine screwdriver.

pliers.jpg

screwdriver.jpg

Just to be safe, I also drilled a couple of holes on the plate in front of the screws, once I re-installed the 3mm allen head screws included in the kit, so that I could tighten them a bit better before re-installing the fairing (I won't post pictures of that part because it's not particularly pretty... [yuck]).

End result? Perfect! The rattle is totally gone!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions (and TinIndian for the rattle fix!).

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Use a screwdriver and vice grips, I have done that many times on wheel chairs. Sometimes I need a little extra just to get things started. After that the screwdriver usually works fine.

·
Rider
724 Posts
No problem at all with your kit...finally have a windshield that doesn't rattle :)....just a tad disappointed that Polaris couldn't have put a bit of effort into providing a solution.

Well done and appreciate your efforts!!

Cheers

Kevin
Polaris is aware of the issue. They have changed out the windshield mechanism on the 2018 models. My new 2017 developed a SEVERE rattle, you could jiggle the windshield easily by hand. Dealership here replaced the ENTIRE windshield mechanism and bushings with the new 2018 version. All as a warranty issue.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
My 2014 developed a rattle when new, had to purchase new bushings and washers at Polaris inflated prices. End result no rattle, not under Warranty. Seems there have been many different variations of hardware since the beginning.

·
Bronze member
1,617 Posts
My dealer told me that the 2018 mechanism would not work on the 2017 and oldwr models. Hence...the kit was developed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts