Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't be the only one that while on a long trip wants to take the windshield off every now and then to get some wind in their face. I'm thinking about building some type of mount or rod I can keep in the saddle bag and use to prop the windshield up to the passenger back rest and strap down while I'm off somewhere riding and not able to leave it in a hotel or at home. Anybody ever done this? I tried just strapping it to the passenger backrest once and it eventually slid down and put marks on my saddle bag lids...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,248 Posts
I never had a Springfield or a Vintage with that big tall windshield although I have demoed a few of both. I am just speaking for myself here but I thought the stock windshields on both were too tall. I like my windshields low enough to look over the top with the top of the windshield coming anywhere from level with my chin to level with the bottom of my nose. Any lower is too low and any higher is too high at least for me, A shorter windshield would eliminate any such storage issue in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, that's why I cut my factory shield down a couple of inches to be in line with my nose and was perfect until I sent my seat off to Russel Day Long and now I'm sitting up higher and have to get a replacement windshield. But even with it at the perfect height, sometimes you just want the open air ride with no obstruction at all, and sometimes you need the windshield in place for those long highway runs. At least I do, that's part of the reason I wanted the Springfield instead of a full fairing Chieftain, the option to take it off or leave it on.

For instance, we are planning a vacation this year in July to leave Mississippi and ride all the way to Colorado, spending the night in a different town almost every night. I know on some of those beautiful mountain roads I will want to ride without my shield in my face, especially in July, but know I will want it the days we're blowing down the interstate for 10 hours or more. Figured somebody might have done this before, but I have no problem being a guinea pig though. Ha

·
Rider
861 Posts
I been thinking on this too-

Just spitballing here- if a fella had the passenger backrest with the luggage rack on the rear,
he could mount spools (or fabricate mount points) on that rack so the shield lays horizontal- kinda sticking out the rear. I bet with the windshield cutout, it doesn't even cover the rack.
Better cover the glass tho. fugly, I know, but... its ugly when used properly too!! ( I use and love QD shields too)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That could work. What I had in mind was a piece of plastic rod 20mm diameter, and the width of the brackets, lay it down in the crease between the seat and backrest and let it sit on this rod with the bottom mounting bracket. Then on top you could just bungee strap it to the backrest with a rag or something protecting it from scratches. I'm probably thinking differently because I was planning on having luggage on my back seat and a small cooler on my luggage rack while traveling. I was hoping I could squeeze the windshield in between them, best fix might just be to strap it down on top of everything...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,248 Posts
Sounds like you've already given this some thought. Where there's a will there's a way they say.

·
Rider
861 Posts
Quick Detatch windshield. That would work too but I'd be afraid of scratching it. I kinda don't want it rubbing around all day. Best to keep it free of anything.
It would take a small but fairly simple fabrication that put QD mounts an inch or two below the rack. not sure but I think you'd still get your cooler on cleanly.
Hey we're just talking it through.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like you've already given this some thought. Where there's a will there's a way they say.
I have been thinking about it but figured somebody else may have done it better than me.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I've also thought about mounting it horizontally behind me. I have a solo seat and Motherwell rack on the rear that I mount a bag to when touring. I figured there must be some way of building up a support system using the existing brackets. However, I was surprised at how much room it took up lying flat. I've not thought through to the next step.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts