Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know the answer to this, but want to make sure.
I've read posts here about having a windshield with a "lip" on the top.
Is this to simply to deflect more air over the top of the head of the driver/passenger? I'm wondering because my wife's seat is about to get an inch taller, which she'll like because it will be easier for her to see over me, but I'm concerned that she'll get a lot of wind buffet.
I got her a Butty Buddy so she'll be more comfortable and want to ride more/longer. The passenger seat isn't all that comfortable for her.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you want your wife to enjoy riding - get her a real seat. A Butt Buddy is great for a girl friend, but the wife deserves better especially if you want her along. Windshields are wonderful but it is the tush that really talks to you when riding.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you want your wife to enjoy riding - get her a real seat. A Butt Buddy is great for a girl friend, but the wife deserves better especially if you want her along. Windshields are wonderful but it is the tush that really talks to you when riding.
I'm always open to suggestion. What's a decent passenger seat that doesn't look like the upper half of a wheelchair? The Chieftain seat is bigger and more comfy than my old Softail, but it still is a bit small for a long ride. She's not a biggun, either. Only 120 lbs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My windshield is an Indian shortie. It creates some turbulence with my helmet but I can live with that. As far as seats go I just had Russell's Saddles build one for me and it is excellent. It costs about the same as the Indian heated seat just more comfortable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dan, I was at the dealership yesterday and saw a new Roadmaster. One of the things I noticed is the windshield is shaped differently than our Chieftains. It is more squared off at the top, not arched like ours. Very nice looking machine, but nothing that would make me want to trade mine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the new Indian flip windshield. It is a lot lower than stock but works well. It also has "ears" unlike the stock shield.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,048 Posts
Howdy Folks,

I've been riding behind the stock windshield on my 2014 Chieftain (feels interesting having to specify the year model now, doesn't it) in all kinds of weather and including all day blasts cross country. I mostly ride with it in the lowest position; at 6' I can easily look over it, as I prefer. In the highest position it provides good protection from cold or rain. I haven't found the buffeting to be objectionable.

That's more than I could say for the stock shorty windshield on my '09 Street Glide. Not long after buying that bike I ordered a low National Cycle VStream windshield; it made for a much smoother airflow than the stock fingernail. It worked SO well that I think when I replace my stock Chieftain shield I'd seriously consider the "flip" shield on the link; the stock one is ok, but I can see how the flip-shield could be better.

Anyone running the 7JuRock?

--- Randall

·
Registered
958 Posts
Went to dealership and noticed the new windshield with flared sides, was wondering if it worked better, thanks Cockney for your input. The flip windshield would probably work, but I don't like the look of it head on. Looks out of proportion on, yes I think the stock chieftain is a little that way also. I do like the fingernail look, but seriously they leave a lot to be desired in the protection department. Can I get an "Amen" on that ?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Didn't like looking through the roadmaster shield much, I tried it a few times today, riding it home, it has some distortion, but I bet having it stop the rain, is going to make that meaningless. Luckily it is infinitely adjustable, and I found it to be real nice about half way up, where I still am fully looking over it, but it stops all buffeting except the very top of my helmet, and I'm good with that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the new Indian flip windshield. It is a lot lower than stock but works well. It also has "ears" unlike the stock shield.
I bought one of these a few weeks ago and really like the way it works. I can't speak to the effect of the passenger as I don't ride two up. I bought it because I am hoping it will be more effective in the rain. The stock one was not that good.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I live near Daytona so went looking for Brian klock from klockwerks to see if he was building chieftain windshields. He is and they are only going through dealers around $200. Great shape and much better for me than original. I found I was looking a little through the top edge. Takes 5 minutes to change and is the perfect height up and down for me with light grey color. It moves air up higher than original but lower which I like...great quality and I like the indian name on the bottom....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts