Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I have almost all of my first-year mods done - seat, mini floorboards, bags etc, to get me on the road in the Spring. I just can't decide on a windshield. I rode it home in 48* (F) temps and it wasn't all that bad, but I hate the bugs and stones, especially when the leathers come off for the warm-weather riding. I am 5'3" so I a looking for something to look OVER that will buffet the wind and keep me comfortable without being bulky. If anyway has any suggestions, if would be greatly appreciated. I have been looking at all the recommended models and the stuff on YouTube (not much), but I think the folks here have the most experience and give the best info!

:rolleyes:

THANKS!

Reactions: Alpal

·
2015 Thunder black smoke Scout
312 Posts
Search the forums on here about different windshields. Good luck, there is a lot of information. It depends on what you and going for. If you want a full size windshield than go with freedom windshields for sure, you have to have the OEM windshield hardware which means you have to buy the entire OEM windshield because they don't sell just the hardware. I bought one used off this site which saved me a lot of money. I rode with the OEM windshield for about a day and hated it and then bought the freedom windshield which was the best money I've spent! If your looking for something small I have heard a lot of guys like the fly screen and it fits the bike pretty well in my opinion. There's a lot of choices out there and good luck hunting

·
312 Posts
image.jpeg
This is the 22" freedom windshield and you can see the contour which throws wind well over my helmet. I am 5'7" so I would recommend you go with a little shorter as it is about level with my nose

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Hi - I have almost all of my first-year mods done - seat, mini floorboards, bags etc, to get me on the road in the Spring. I just can't decide on a windshield. I rode it home in 48* (F) temps and it wasn't all that bad, but I hate the bugs and stones, especially when the leathers come off for the warm-weather riding. I am 5'3" so I a looking for something to look OVER that will buffet the wind and keep me comfortable without being bulky. If anyway has any suggestions, if would be greatly appreciated. I have been looking at all the recommended models and the stuff on YouTube (not much), but I think the folks here have the most experience and give the best info!

:rolleyes:

THANKS!
Hi Buddy, check out the thread Freedom windshields rock my world. Not only do they have a great shield, but you get the most excellent service from the guys there. One thing though. They make a shield which fits to the OEM MOUNTING BRACKETS. Which means you may have to bought an OEM shield to start with unless someone here will sell you an OEM windscreen. Another option is the adjustable Madstad windscreen. Both have threads on here containing very good info. Good luck my friend. Oh, and yes, I do have a freedom shield on my bike. It is 2 inches wider both sides than the OEM and has a little flick at the top so you don't have a bug lunch. There is also a very good set of instructions on how to determine what height shield you should have, no matter whose screen you choose.
Alpal

Reactions: LH Rizzi

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I can tell you the Indian medium is 18" from light cut out to top. I am 6'2" and can not come close to seeing over it. I have a 12" from Cee Baileys and can see over it and actually could have gotten the 14" and been ok. Damn shame the Indian website doesn't show what the sizes are in inches. I bought the medium site unseen thinking it would be fine, I was way wrong. I can't imagine a human being alive being able to see over the oem tall shield.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I read about Madstad developing a screen for Scout but haven't heard anything since, anyone seen one? got one? Madstad are highly rated on every bike I've seen that has a Madstad screen.

·
312 Posts
I can tell you the Indian medium is 18" from light cut out to top. I am 6'2" and can not come close to seeing over it. I have a 12" from Cee Baileys and can see over it and actually could have gotten the 14" and been ok. Damn shame the Indian website doesn't show what the sizes are in inches. I bought the medium site unseen thinking it would be fine, I was way wrong. I can't imagine a human being alive being able to see over the oem tall shield.
It's all about your torso I guess. I'm 5'7" and had the medium OEM shield and had no problem seeing over it. The shield came to my chin. This is were buying windshield without testing them on your bike is hard

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Pretty sure the tall is 20", medium 18", low 16" and super low 14". but don't hold me to it. Try them at the dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
@LH Rizzi

There are lots of variables at play when selecting windshields - I would say you should sit on the bike and measure to see what size you're looking for (what's the tallest windshield that you can still see over?), decide what style you're looking for (sport shield, police-style windshield, etc), and then choose the best option from there.

Everybody in the sales department at National Cycle rides, and we'd be more than happy to chat with you as to what you're looking for if you want to bounce some ideas off us. No pressure!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I know I'm a minority with this issue and each to their own, but after replacing a medium OEM shield with the right height (tall) OEM shield I am completely satisfied with performance and do not understand the problems many have with it. I've had the bike to 105 MPH with no problems.
I just past17,000 miles in 13 months.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts

You must have a very short torso, or bad posture. My Fiance is 5'2" and she can see over the Indian tall shield.

·
2,354 Posts
I read about Madstad developing a screen for Scout but haven't heard anything since, anyone seen one? got one? Madstad are highly rated on every bike I've seen that has a Madstad screen.

I have one. It's pretty good, not as good as the Freedom. My madstad will be for sale soon.

·
Registered
190 Posts
image.jpeg
I have a Madstad adjustable windshield that I really like. They can be had in a variety of heights and shadings. They don't list Indian on their website, but they have them.

·
2,354 Posts
Mikehell and Moto doc, what are your heights and what height Madstad's do you have?
The Scout belongs to my fiancé. She is 5' 2" and the madstad is 22", we tried the 20" (still have it, never got around to returning it). The Freedom she has on it now is the 22" (largest they have)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mikehell and Moto doc, what are your heights and what height Madstad's do you have?
Mine is a 22". You can get about any height you want and you can adjust the height and the angle. The lady that took care of my order was very knowledgeable and if you supply height and inseam measurements, she could make suggestions. I'm 5'11" and I don't like looking through a windshield. This windshield is just right for me. By the way, the one in my photo is a light smoke.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
You must have a very short torso, or bad posture. My Fiance is 5'2" and she can see over the Indian tall shield.
Maybe it's just me but I want to not just see over it, I want to be able to see the road 20 feet in front of me without looking thru it, not a mile down the road. Imagine it painted black and what you would see because that's what's important.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I want my windshield to be high enough to minimize the buffeting on the top of my helmet, especially at 70 mph. If I'm seeing 20 feet in front of me, the windshield won't accomplish that. Besides that if I'm looking that close in front of me at highway speeds I'm going to crash. I'm thinking that the only time I would need to see that close would be at a walking speed in a parking lot or a keg roll contest. In the latter I think I would temporarily remove the windshield.

·
2,354 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I want to not just see over it, I want to be able to see the road 20 feet in front of me without looking thru it, not a mile down the road. Imagine it painted black and what you would see because that's what's important.

Isn't that why they make them CLEAR??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts