Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm at a loss, figured i'd benefit from the group.

Seems like this subject comes up from time to time but each case it always a bit different.

I just bought my '19 Chieftain Dark Horse brand new.

I'm 6'3 and the turbulence on my helmet was really strong so I ordered the 13.7 Flared because everyone I asked said it was the best. Well, it's still too low for me. It has reduced "some" of the noise/vibration, but it still makes for a very unpleasant ride. (at highway speeds a full face helmet shakes a bit and an open face shakes my head so much i'm seeing blury)

Having now spend 300$ (canadian) on a windshield i won't use (can't return because it's been installed) I find myself reluctant to just order another without being sure.
I also don't want to blindly get the tallest one available.

I did also get the extended reach seat which unfortunately raises the rider a bit but the leg room is perfect.

I know Freedom Shields, Klock Works and 7Jurock make taller windshields, anyone have any advice in the same boat?

·
Registered
754 Posts
If you go to the Freedom website it shows how to measure for the right windshield. If you have any questions, give a call to John the owner on Monday and I'm sure he will dial you in.

Phil

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kept reading on the forum and someone mentioned the buffeting may be coming from below so I went back out to test this out. I think that's my problem.
The moment I put my arm agains my chest, the buffeting drops by a lot.
So, I think i'll have to look for some deflectors. Not sure if the ones from previous years fit the 2019.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Yep. You’re gonna want to go with the right height from freedom. I’m 6’2” and the taller flared from Klock just barely works for me.

·
Bronze member
4,869 Posts
The windshield is not going to help: the turbulence is created buy air coming up from under the motorcycle and pulled upward by the low air pressure pocked behind the windscreen. To stop the buffeting you need to add fork lowers or sometimes called wind deflectors. These keep a large amount of air from being pulled into the calm air pocket creating turbulence.

JES Lowers are great and work well. https://jescustomaccents.com/Indian-MC_c41.htm These look great and are designed to force more air into the front of the engine for better Cooling.

I am 6'3" and every brand of bike I owned the lowers are what solved the problem.

The reason taller riders suffer from buffeting is due to the fact we sit further back from the calm air pocket from the windshield, compounded with the air being pulled up from under the bike. We actually sit in the more turbulent area of the bike. If you lean forward and down, the buffeting will stop. But the lowers keep that air away and work great.

I can ride 100 MPH without helmet buffeting.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Headlamp Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Rider
2019 Indian Chieftain DH In Black Smoke
1,365 Posts
I also agree with Barron58 as we also have the JES on my 19 CDH and no matter 50 60 85 mph no more air buffeting
Running a freedom screen about 3 inches below eyes and its perfect

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! I can't wait to try it out. Probably going to be at least 2 weeks before this shows up at my house!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Best way to determine airflow is:

1. gargle with milk
2. Go riding at 60mph
3. do a big spit
4. Stop and check your bike & clothing for milky mucus
5. Don't forget to check back of helmet too
6. Get a slide rule and draw the spit trajectory on butchers paper
7. Take paper to pub and ask mates for advice
8. Enjoy the beers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all,

Seems like this subject comes up from time to time but each case it always a bit different.

I'm 6'3 and the turbulence on my helmet was really strong so I ordered the 13.7 Flared because everyone I asked said it was the best. Well, it's still too low for me. It has reduced "some" of the noise/vibration, but it still makes for a very unpleasant ride. (at highway speeds a full face helmet shakes a bit and an open face shakes my head so much i'm seeing blury)

Having now spend 300$ (canadian) on a windshield i won't use (can't return because it's been installed) I find myself reluctant to just order another without being sure.

I did also get the extended reach seat which unfortunately raises the rider a bit but the leg room is perfect.

I know Freedom Shields, Klock Works and 7Jurock make taller windshields, anyone have any advice in the same boat?
I am 6'-4" 32" inseam & I am using 7jurrock's tallest shield. They have good measuring instructions. It is very well made but I wish the flip was more. I look over. You should be able to feel if the air is coming from below or over the top. I have friends who love fork deflectors.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,260 Posts
Hi all,

I'm 6'4" with a Roadmaster. I went to the Freedom Shields. Not only taller the the factory windscreen but they are curved on top. Back when I got mine the clear was about $150. I love mine. My wife could even tell the difference when she rode with me. With their tall windscreen I have no issue getting into a good air pocket and probably have at least an inch more travel to get to the full up position. Cant remember if I got the 16 or the 18. I do remember it was just slightly tall than the factory RM windscreen. I get a chance later I will go out and measure it. Dean

18 Posts
I'm 6'1" bought a 18" Gustafsson windshield. They go out 4" past the bracket on the sides, more side protection and I think they look cool. I also got the JES wind deflectors for the forks.

But I still took a bird to the forehead, about knocked me out, then I got hit by a wasp or some kind of bee in the same spot! - not a fun ride that day! HEADACHE? Not sure if the greater low pressure behind the larger windshield draws them in...if any windshield / deflectors would have made any difference, but I have thought about making the two shield bottom vents taller to drop the pressure (and help keep me cooler in the summer heat) because when the shield is down a bit, those vents are covered up by the fairing, but afraid to start carving up the windshield and end up cracking it. Or may get one of the vents that you can open and close and install it above the standard vents....

Either way, the 18 shield for 6' 1'' /I'm long in the torso and using and with or without an Air Hawk seat works great. At 6' 4" you'd probably need the 20" depending on your torso height..
Note to drill holes in plexiglass, run your drill in reverse, it melts the plastic, will not crack it. The Gustaffsson had few holes that were a bit off so I took a rat tail file ...I also got longer screws and added 1' rubber washers 3/4" fender washers (painted black) to help give some added strength prevent cracking.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Freedom Shields will let you try different size windshields and you can return them (with just shipping charges). I recommend, JES Custom Wind Deflectors and maybe leather close-outs. This combination works for me.

You may also want to experiment with different style helmets as what gives you better comfort and safety.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts