Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think about getting a windscreen for all the damn bugs here in Florida. Any thing I should stay away from? If I can get two people to take my code for the new Indian then I’ll have some extra spending cash to get the true Indian one they offer. Aftermarket has a lot of them for around $150. Thought? Photos? Let’s see em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,103 Posts
I like my bug catcher, a National Cycle 2-Up Switchblade windshield. Looks good and is quick detachable as well as a good deal cheaper than the Indian windshield. Personally I don't like the styling of the Indian one. I'm 5 foot eleven and can easily see over the top yet not get any bugs in the face. I get a nice little breeze from the air swirling around the windshield but no buffeting.
74532310_1306932826132955_1145003981504774144_n.jpg
75588284_422068381754330_1431372764211576832_n.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like my bug catcher, a National Cycle 2-Up Switchblade windshield. Looks good and is quick detachable as well as a good deal cheaper than the Indian windshield. Personally I don't like the styling of the Indian one. I'm 5 foot eleven and can easily see over the top yet not get any bugs in the face. I get a nice little breeze from the air swirling around the windshield but no buffeting. View attachment 592123 View attachment 592124
That’s awesome! Not really my style though especially on the bobber. I’m 6’1” and I’m starting to thing I’m going for a midsized bagger look. Not my goal but for some reason I keep leaning that way with my decisions. The buffeting is one thing I’m really worries about with any of them I go with and it’s great to know yours doesn’t, that certainly adds some worth it points!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ridiculously pricy. It needs to be about $5-600. But yours looks really good! How does it do at higher speeds?

Yea if it was around that price I would have probably bought it already.
Mine is pretty good but I still feel the wind hit around my head at high speeds

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I bought a Scout in 2016 and ordered their windshield as part of the purchase. I didn't realise they made short/med/tall and the sales guy just added in the tall without letting me know the range. The buffeting was extreme and for the whole 16 months I had the bike I was trying to find ways to lessen the turmoil.

I tried the shorty that a mate had for a day and it gave less buffeting but didn't get rid of it completely.

Back then there was a lot of talk here on the forum about the discomfort and there would be few riders from back then who would recommend the stock shields. If you can find another Scout owner close to you who will allow you to try out their shield, that would be better than buying into something that might not suit you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought a Scout in 2016 and ordered their windshield as part of the purchase. I didn't realise they made short/med/tall and the sales guy just added in the tall without letting me know the range. The buffeting was extreme and for the whole 16 months I had the bike I was trying to find ways to lessen the turmoil.

I tried the shorty that a mate had for a day and it gave less buffeting but didn't get rid of it completely.

Back then there was a lot of talk here on the forum about the discomfort and there would be few riders from back then who would recommend the stock shields. If you can find another Scout owner close to you who will allow you to try out their shield, that would be better than buying into something that might not suit you.
Very well said and thanks for the info! I was worried about the buffeting with that big of a wingspan due to it being a smaller bike. On something heavy it’s not noticeable and the heavier bikes also have a full fairing design to guide the airflow and turbulence past the rider.

Right now I have no shield at all and honestly more times than not I prefer that with a full face helmet and a leather cut at minimum. With those two I’m usually fine and the leather takes the brute force of the bugs even at 90. Iv been going back and forth with my wife on what is more of a priority to me as I cannot decide and I think I may go with a quick shield for long trips that I can disconnect easily and they are also much, much cheaper.

Right now I feel my priority has moved away from the shield and more towards the extended reach pegs. I’m 6’1” and a hair away from 6’2”. Longer rides I just feel terribly cramped in the legs.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I went with the Dart Marlin and a quality full face modular helmet that is very light, still saved money over OEM screen.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,103 Posts
Well it's worth noting that I also have long legs and you'll see I have floorboards on my Scout. They are mounted to the extended reach mounting plates. I strongly prefer the floorboards over pegs. You can actually lean over a little bit further with the boards before they scrape as your heels are now on top of the floorboards instead of hanging below the pegs.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Very well said and thanks for the info! I was worried about the buffeting with that big of a wingspan due to it being a smaller bike. On something heavy it’s not noticeable and the heavier bikes also have a full fairing design to guide the airflow and turbulence past the rider.

Right now I have no shield at all and honestly more times than not I prefer that with a full face helmet and a leather cut at minimum. With those two I’m usually fine and the leather takes the brute force of the bugs even at 90. Iv been going back and forth with my wife on what is more of a priority to me as I cannot decide and I think I may go with a quick shield for long trips that I can disconnect easily and they are also much, much cheaper.

Right now I feel my priority has moved away from the shield and more towards the extended reach pegs. I’m 6’1” and a hair away from 6’2”. Longer rides I just feel terribly cramped in the legs.

I went from the Scout to a Springfield DH. They both have quick detach shields (I take mine off in summer) and both have buffeting. The difference with the Springfield is that putting fork lowers on the bike gets rid of the buffeting. I put lowers on the Scout and it reduced the buffeting but not down to a comfortable level.

Aftermarket Scout shields have a better reputation than OEM.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went from the Scout to a Springfield DH. They both have quick detach shields (I take mine off in summer) and both have buffeting. The difference with the Springfield is that putting fork lowers on the bike gets rid of the buffeting. I put lowers on the Scout and it reduced the buffeting but not down to a comfortable level.

Aftermarket Scout shields have a better reputation than OEM.
Well, I’m certainly glad I asked! Would have hated myself for spending $1100 only to find out they have a reputation! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a '20 Scout Bobber and installed National Cycle's Deflector windshield. Its +/- $115 and works awesome. HUGE difference on the highway when above 60mph. Easy install, not obtrusive looking and does not detract from the look of the bike. The quick detach system makes it easy to install/remove in less than a minute or so.

I can't take a pic right now as its dark, the windscreen is removed from the bike as its about to go in for service, but will do so when its back.

Reactions: AvionicsScouter

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a '20 Scout Bobber and installed National Cycle's Deflector windshield. Its +/- $115 and works awesome. HUGE difference on the highway when above 60mph. Easy install, not obtrusive looking and does not detract from the look of the bike. The quick detach system makes it easy to install/remove in less than a minute or so.

I can't take a pic right now as its dark, the windscreen is removed from the bike as its about to go in for service, but will do so when its back.
Do you have to take off the black housing the bobber comes with around the headlight? Got a link?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you have to take off the black housing the bobber comes with around the headlight? Got a link?

Sorry for the delay in reply. NO, at least for the Bobber, you don't have to remove the headlight bezel to install the quick disconnect mounts for the National Cycle Deflector screen. Despite having the QD capability, I leave mine on pretty much all the time and have been briefly up to 90mph and it is plenty solid. I did swap out my OEM Bobber handlebars with those from a regular scout from ebay, painted them black and welded in threaded bungs from ebay on the ends so I could retain the OEM mirrors and grips. I did that for a cheaper alternative to Indian's reduced reach bars. The Deflector Screen will work fine on the standard Bobber or regular Scout handlebars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry for the delay in reply. NO, at least for the Bobber, you don't have to remove the headlight bezel to install the quick disconnect mounts for the National Cycle Deflector screen. Despite having the QD capability, I leave mine on pretty much all the time and have been briefly up to 90mph and it is plenty solid. I did swap out my OEM Bobber handlebars with those from a regular scout from ebay, painted them black and welded in threaded bungs from ebay on the ends so I could retain the OEM mirrors and grips. I did that for a cheaper alternative to Indian's reduced reach bars. The Deflector Screen will work fine on the standard Bobber or regular Scout handlebars.

View attachment 593795

View attachment 593796

View attachment 593799
Nice screen mate - which one is this one in the photos ? Do you have the part number? Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
The original thread has sort of disappeared, but I'll weigh in and hopefully help somebody... I'm just over 6', but I went with the shortest stock windshield, hoping it would be less obtrusive looking and would at least keep the cold/wind off my torso. And I liked having the leather tool/sunglasses bag. I had had the middle or high shield on the demo bike and didn't think it helped at all. But the short shield was a disaster after about ten feet. Brutal turbulence and noise. Un-ridable. I got a 24" Freedom shield (which uses the Indian mounts). It's not magical, but it's very good. Even in clear, it looks big on the Scout, but not bad at all. Then I simplified to the clear Marlin Dart and was pleasantly surprised. It smoothes things out enough that you can ride 10mph faster than your typical cruising speed and be just as relaxed. Definitely the best balance of clean looks and comfort for me. Finally, I've simplified even more to the Indian mini "1901" nearly-black shield. It enhances cruising comfort somewhere between naked and the Marlin (so, just a bit). I ride pretty mellowly, and I like the super clean, stock look; so after all this I've settled on the small Indian shield. On a longer trip, or in the cold, or for a lot of highway I'd probably go all the back up to the Freedom shield as a touring-style shield. Hope it helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts