Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some feedback or reviews from any owners between the 3 fairings. Challenger and the two iterations of the Chieftain. W

I’m currently on a Springfield Dark Horse and I’m really leaning towards trading in for full fairing. Wind protection being one of the motivators plus the tunes and GPS of course. Only thing I’ve got on my scoot now to help with wind is the JES Lowers, windshield is stock.

Thanks
-Mike

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have an ‘18 Chieftain. I test rode a Challenger, and in my opinion, I felt more wind, especially in my throat area, on the Challenger, than I have ever felt on my Chieftain. If you look closely, there are a lot of little holes being frame mounted where air can come through. I loved everything else about the bike, especially the motor!

·
Registered
88 Posts
The older I get, the more and more I appreciate a full fairing especially on the long hauls. I found the upper body protection on the Challenger is just as good, for me anyway, as the Ultra Limited I traded it for plus it has the additional advantage of being a fixed fairing bike with lighter steering. This has resulted in less fatigue for me. I'd love to have a fairing-less bike for around town but I can't afford both.:rolleyes:

·
Rider
858 Posts
I was riding on the interstate a few days ago and was wondering where the wind limits were from the windshield, when fully up. Using my hand , I estimate the clean air extended about 10 inches to either side of my helmet and 4 inches over the top. I always ride with the vents closed , I find the visual distracting.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,298 Posts
I can't speak for the Indian Bikes but I had a Memphis Shades fats on my Shadow 750 then a Switchblade on my VTX 1800. I had such terrible buffetting on the Shadow that I got a Memphis Shades Batwing faring. I could do over 55 with that and still see the road which I couldn't with the fats. I moved that fairing to the VTX and it was much better than the switchblade. I had the Memphis lowers on both bikes as well.

After I got comfortable on the Challenger, I was a little disappointed with wind managment until I got back on the VTX. It's amazing how fast you can forget. I get so much less air on the Challenger than I did on the VTX. What I do get is different. We went for a ride on Sat and had some nasty winds to deal with. We had a pretty steady rear quarter wind that was catching my helmet trying to lift it of my head. I ended up lowering my windsheild and was able to get the wind from the front to counter from the back and it made the ride much more enjoyable. I wouldn't have been able to do that on my other bikes. I've not ridden with the front vents open yet as it's been a little too cold here.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That electric windscreen is a godsend. I missed having one since my ST1300 days. The versatility of it allows you to counter a lot of conditions as TechRider mentioned.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My Roadmaster without the lower fairings didn't feel like it protected me from wind as much as my Challenger with the windshield full up. With the windshield full down on both bikes the Challenger seems to block less wind. I feel like I get less wind on my arms and upper when I am riding my Challenger and no buffetting even if I were to travel at 85+ type speeds.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have test ridden the Challenger and was pretty impressed by wind management (I'm 6' 0 with 30in inseam) I've had 3 bikes with the classic Roadmaster / Chieftain fairing and just purchased a 2020 Roadmaster DH which features the new style fairing that is shared with the 2019+ Chieftain Limited. the new style fork-mounted fairing does not do as well with lower wind management as I'm getting significantly more wind coming over the lowers and up from the tank. Goggles are now a must with my 3/4 helmet.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I just recently bought a '19 Chieftain Classic. The ride and wind management is light years ahead of my Dyna (which has a Swtichblade wind screen and lowers), but I'm always looking for ways to improve it. I just got and installed JES lower wind deflectors. I haven't been on any long rides, but the ride is noticeably calmer. Much of the time I basically feel nothing. I think you'll be happy with a full fairing and lowers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What height are you? I am 6'1" and had trouble with my chieftain and buffeting. I had to add a taller windshield and lower wind deflectors to make it a more comfortable ride. On my challenger however in stock form is awesome. The fixed fairing is super stable and aerodynamic. Even in strong 25-30mph constant cross wind at highway speeds I much prefer the challenger.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,298 Posts
The fixed fairing is super stable and aerodynamic. Even in strong 25-30mph constant cross wind at highway speeds I much prefer the challenger.
I took a quick trip out last night in winds I never would have on my other bikes.

Reactions: HyeHog

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate all the feedback fellas!
I’m 5’-7” with a 32” inseam. I’m hoping to ride down to the dealer in the next couple weeks and see what’s what. Really just waiting to see what happens with the wife’s job. She’s transitioning out of active duty and might be landing an active guard spot here in town. So we’ll see how that goes.

I see all the current offers Indian has expire 30 April so I’m also curious what if any deals will replace those come May 1st.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just bought a Challenger, I'm 5'11" and wear a full face helmet. I haven't really gone on any rides yet over 100 miles, but so far my upper body seems fine, just notice a little wind around my legs, but not bad. I'm in western WA state and temps haven't really gone over 70 yet. Anyway, so far, so good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
With a little over 14,000 miles on my 2020 Challenger, riding sans helmet I find the wind management to be superior to that of my 2014 and 2017 Chieftain motorcycles.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Riding my Challenger back to back with my wife's 2020 Chieftain and I will say that the wind management is far better on the Challenger. Way less air coming up underneath to blast my chin on cold morning, less wind noise coming through my helmet on the interstate, etc.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Riding my Challenger back to back with my wife's 2020 Chieftain and I will say that the wind management is far better on the Challenger. Way less air coming up underneath to blast my chin on cold morning, less wind noise coming through my helmet on the interstate, etc.
Agree with ya there. I’m actually VERY IMPRESSED how this fixed fairing & adj shield cut the wind, AND handle gusty x-winds (which I got A LOT of during a recent ride across NW Texas.)
I’m running a Freedom Shields, 9” light gray (Colorado made, great small biz!)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,253 Posts
Yeah the newer style fairing on the Chieftain & RM is disappointing as far as wind management goes. I had a 2015 Chieftain with the old style fairing which was much better but it still was affected by side winds and gusts/semi wind blast etc. My 2020 Challenger is even superior to that in so far as having no wind effect on the steering while riding. The air management is also better. The stock windshield gets noisy when it's all the way up with that air vent hole wide open so I lower it a bit so I cant see the hole over the dashboard and it's much quieter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts