Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
When I traded my '16 Roadmaster for a '19 Roadmaster, I had the dealership take the lowers from the old bike and put them on the new one. They put the new ones on the old bike before they sold it. I didn't like the new lowers for two reasons, one, the compartments were smaller and two, the little clear shields were gone which I discovered made more buffeting and wind noise. Luckily, both bikes were Thunder black so that didn't matter.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Just ordered some of the JES deflectors, hope they work... have $400 worth of OEM parts sitting on my shelf that does not seem to work...

Reactions: FTRazor

·
Registered
496 Posts
Been riding with one off and one on for about a week now. Some days it was windy, but got a nice ride in to the dealer for my 5000 mi service. I did take a picture of them installed after I painted them. They look pink, but it's just the angle of the light. The color is a little bit off, so maybe I'll use some of my leftover vinyl wrap and wrap them. It's a black carbon fiber pattern, so it should lighten them up a little bit hahaha. I also included a video from my YT channel with a more in depth review or thoughts on them. I think they do a little bit, but I don't really notice it a whole lot. I rode with the left one removed as you sit on the bike, and could feel a bit different wind pattern coming up and around the tank. More in the video.

Reactions: Eeyore

·
Registered
2019 Indian Roadmaster Elite
30 Posts
Been riding with one off and one on for about a week now. Some days it was windy, but got a nice ride in to the dealer for my 5000 mi service. I did take a picture of them installed after I painted them. They look pink, but it's just the angle of the light. The color is a little bit off, so maybe I'll use some of my leftover vinyl wrap and wrap them. It's a black carbon fiber pattern, so it should lighten them up a little bit hahaha. I also included a video from my YT channel with a more in depth review or thoughts on them. I think they do a little bit, but I don't really notice it a whole lot. I rode with the left one removed as you sit on the bike, and could feel a bit different wind pattern coming up and around the tank. More in the video.

View attachment 619296
Did you notice a big difference with these on? Where does it deflect the wind from your knees?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I just got my JES deflectors in yesterday, installing them on my bike this morning and plan a ride after lunch as it is supposed to get to the mid 50s this afternoon. Right now it is about 27F 😕...

I will report my thoughts tonight. One thing after opening the package, they seem awful small, so I hope the shape makes a "big" impact on the wind that hits my face and chest.

I am thinking that we need a manufacturer to make a deflector for the bottom outside edge of the upper fairing like the Victory's had from the factory and what I have seen from Harley aftermarket.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Did you notice a big difference with these on? Where does it deflect the wind from your knees?
I didn't notice a huge difference, personally. I did outline where I could feel a difference of the wind on the tank. And when I rode home in the cold, I could feel my left knee and upper leg a little colder than my right knee and upper part of the leg. I guess that equates to more felt wind coming over the left side (where I had no deflector installed). Talked about that in the video, and you could see my knee and leg when I mentioned it about 1:30 in. But this will not be a "fix" for the rain coming up over the top of the leg fairing. However, I am curious to get a ride in the rain in, so I can see by the water on the pants, if there is a different air pattern. I think it's time to find or make some kind of clip on to the top of the fairing to see if that will help any, too.

Reactions: Welshjs0787

·
Registered
496 Posts
I just got my JES deflectors in yesterday, installing them on my bike this morning and plan a ride after lunch as it is supposed to get to the mid 50s this afternoon. Right now it is about 27F 😕...

I will report my thoughts tonight. One thing after opening the package, they seem awful small, so I hope the shape makes a "big" impact on the wind that hits my face and chest.

I am thinking that we need a manufacturer to make a deflector for the bottom outside edge of the upper fairing like the Victory's had from the factory and what I have seen from Harley aftermarket.
I thought they were kind of big when I got them haha. But they can't be much bigger, or they will hit the leg fairing. I don't know if it's just me, or if I'm used to buffeting from 8 years on my VTX with just a windshield and I'm impervious to buffeting. But I didn't feel a big difference. Just some of the air coming over the top and around the tank I thought it did a good job of blocking or diverting the air flow.

·
Registered
553 Posts

After install I did a 50 mile ride with varying speeds including a 10 mile stint on the interstate. I could not tell much of a difference with the wind on my knees, wind still flowed over the lower fairing and hit my knees fairly good, maybe if the deflector was a few inches longer it would disrupt that wind flow more. However, I can live with wind on my knees as I will just put on my rain suit when it rains (unless it was a monsoon rain, I never put my rain suit on with my 2018 RM).

What I really wanted is to stop the wind that hits my chest and face. Sad to said, I did not feel much difference but maybe the pattern of the wind has changed and that was at mid speeds (30-50ish), at interstate speeds I did not notice much change in the wind hitting my face. I also thought I had more wind noise than before at interstate speeds. To do a quick comparison, I jumped on my friends 20 RM and confirmed what I was feeling on my bike. No big change in the wind but maybe call it a lessening of the wind for both my knees and face.

So, I am still in search of the cure...

Reactions: Lord Bard Prime
61 - 69 of 69 Posts