Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think you are on to something here.

So in the summer the shield would have to be in the up position, to open the lower vent doors? Is that correct? If so, then they are interfering with the lower vent door handles or the vent door itself?

Can you see any way to modify the upper vents to make clearance for the lower doors / handles? or vice versa?

I assume when they are up, they do not interfere with the fairing when turned full right or left?

Just looking to see if it is worth buying them, to try to modify something to make it work. I do like the looks and think they make a huge difference in rain and cold conditions.

Looking forward to hear what you think? And any additional pics of the interference if possible?

Thank you very much posting the information too!!

I know there will be a lot of riders interested in the same thing.
With the shields in the up position you have full access to the lower vents to open and close
I found that with the vents open and you put the shields in the down position the vent can be fully opened and can only close the vent to about 1/4 closed before the vent handle hits the shield.

I leave mine in the up position all the time this helps with buffering coming from the forks and over the gas tank.
My 20 RM does not have the heat issue I had with my 18 RM so not concerned with getting more air by lowering the shields.

With these shields I see no way to modify either to accommodate both. You have very little room to mount on the glove box.

These have no effect with steering or the fairing coming in contact

If the parts that I listed (no pictures on the Indian parts list) are these, they are very expensive for what they are.

The position I leave my vents to flow air across the jugs the shields can be moved up or down with no problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
This is also an alternative:

I’ve had those on a 2018 RM and it seemed to work decent. I tried to install one on my 2020 RM DH with the new fairing and it is too wide for the fork covers next to the triple tree

·
Registered
554 Posts
I leave mine in the up position all the time this helps with buffering coming from the forks and over the gas tank.
Now that you have several months with the the old lower fairing clear shields installed, do they stop the wind buffering that seems to hit me in the chest and face?

Reactions: Welshjs0787

·
Registered
65 Posts
Now that you have several months with the the old lower fairing clear shields installed, do they stop the wind buffering that seems to hit me in the chest and face?
14K miles with them and rides just like my 18 RM did with them stock. Summer time I lower them to get more air. No buffering with them up and very little with them down.

·
Registered
554 Posts
14K miles with them and rides just like my 18 RM did with them stock. Summer time I lower them to get more air. No buffering with them up and very little with them down.
Hate to do it but I think I will have to put them on my 21 JD RM...

Thanks,

·
Rider
778 Posts
just wondering... can the handles on the lower vent be cut back, out of the way? (I have a 15 RM, but that thought just occurred to me... Have dremel, will travel.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
How come there is no clear wind deflector on the 2019 Roadmaster that you can raise and lower,,, I do miss it and I want it back
JESCustomAccents makes excellent fork tree mounted wind deflectors for the Chieftain and Roadmasters, past and present. I had them on my 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse and they stopped the wind buffeting better than the flare windshield and soft lowers.

JESCustomAccents Wind Deflectors for 2019-2021 Roadmaster

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hate to do it but I think I will have to put them on my 21 JD RM...

Thanks,
Pls let us know, with pics, if you get them installed on your ‘21 JD RM! I have the same bike (traded up from a 2015 RM), and I want something for the buffeting also. Thanks, following.

·
Rider
1,108 Posts
I have a 2016 Roadmaster, got 62,000 kms on it. One thing that I notice with the deflectors (clear plastic) is on the left side one, if I lower it, the wind buffeting gets noticeable. When I raise it the buffeting gets allot less. (so I ride with it up most of the time.)
The right one does not make that change, but is allot cooler on the right leg when it is lowered.

One thing that I would like to see for deflectors, are ones that would stick to the top of the lowers, and cause the water to disperse off the sides. Right now, while riding in even a slight rain, the water spits off the top of the lowers onto my knees., and have wet knees before long. When riding in a decent rain, my lower pant legs are soaked. (I'm 6'3", so my legs are up high and close.)

I came from a Goldwing, where you could ride in the rain for a couple hours and not get wet at all. (But I love my Roadmaster more)

--
Gordon

·
Registered
103 Posts
Are the clear plastic deflectors just for rainy riding? I took them off my 17 RM a couple years ago cause I didn’t think they were really doing anything. I’d be interested in replies on their use cause I might put them back on.

·
Rider
1,108 Posts
Are the clear plastic deflectors just for rainy riding? I took them off my 17 RM a couple years ago cause I didn’t think they were really doing anything. I’d be interested in replies on their use cause I might put them back on.
No, they just block (somewhat)the cool air coming between the fairing and the lowers. On hot days, you want them open to help blow the heat of the engine away.

--
Gordon

·
Registered
16 Posts
The wind detectors from the 2018 and older RM will not work on a 21 Roadmaster. The shape of the top of the lower has changed. I tried to mount them on my 2021 Jack Daniels and they just will not fit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The wind detectors from the 2018 and older RM will not work on a 21 Roadmaster. The shape of the top of the lower has changed. I tried to mount them on my 2021 Jack Daniels and they just will not fit.
I believe nothing was changed on the lowers from a 20 to a 21 even the Jack edition. Look at the pics I posted on post #42. They do fit.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yep, not an exact fit like on the 2018 lowers that they were made for but they will kind of fit on the new lowers but with a gap. I am in the process of getting a glass shop who does plexiglass shaping to see if they can make me a set of deflectors that will work on the new lower. I am thinking I do not need them to be moveable but attached with Velcro to be removed if needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yep, not an exact fit like on the 2018 lowers that they were made for but they will kind of fit on the new lowers but with a gap. I am in the process of getting a glass shop who does plexiglass shaping to see if they can make me a set of deflectors that will work on the new lower. I am thinking I do not need them to be moveable but attached with Velcro to be removed if needed.
The old ones aren't even close to fitting. Please show me pictures when you get something made.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Still seeking any ideas for the rain on the knees issue! Thinking about some velcro and just some angled plastic (like angle iron L shape) to velcro on top of the leg fairing to see what happens. It appears that these plastic deflectors won't stop that issue with the rain. And I think the leg fairing should be deflecting more of the wind for cold riding too. May have to make a little door or something to go between the frame and inside part of the leg fairing.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts