Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think that my Scout has one of the wimpiest horns I have ever owned on a bike.

I finally received the order of my small version Nautilus/Stebel horn and am now waiting for Indian to ship me my Engine Guards so I can mount it on the right side bars.

I did my Phantom and my ST-1100 up with the air horns for a big Buick type sound!

This picture is the best one I have on file, but it shows the Steibel horn mounted on the Phantom.

It should look near the same on the Scout..... If I ever get my Engine Guards! Grrrr! :mad:
Immense sound/safety increase!
STEBEL-USA

I searched the "Horn" threads on the Scout and found very little to change my mind on my choice of Horn.

Has anyone got a better idea.... I did like the original look of the handlebar mounted horn with the grill above the headlight, but it would be impracticable with a windshield!
I know I'm Horny but I don't need to be honking at myself! <VBG>

Edited note: Place your cursor on the horn in the picture and click for a closeup of the installment!

02-11-11 011.JPG

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I think that my Scout has one of the wimpiest horns I have ever owned on a bike.

I finally received the order of my small version Nautilus/Stebel horn and am now waiting for Indian to ship me my Engine Guards so I can mount it on the right side bars.

I did my Phantom and my ST-1100 up with the air horns for a big Buick type sound!

This picture is the best one I have on file, but it shows the Steibel horn mounted on the Phantom.

It should look near the same on the Scout..... If I ever get my Engine Guards! Grrrr! :mad:
STEBEL-USA

I searched the "Horn" threads on the Scout and found very little to change my mind on my choice of Horn.

Has anyone got a better idea.... I did like the original look of the handlebar mounted horn with the grill above the headlight, but it would be impracticable with a windshield!

View attachment 7588
Well! You are in Texas.. You might get mistaken for a road runner with that horn.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts

STEBEL-USA

Edited note: Place your cursor on the horn in the picture and click for a closeup of the installment!

View attachment 7588
I agree with you there. Not a sound in keeping with the rest of the bike. Am looking for something new myself for both Silk and Gertruda.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts

STEBEL-USA

View attachment 7588
I agree that the horn is wimpy and think that is partly because of the location. It is mounted (on USA models) facing left and next the oil filter. At one time, I saw pic's of the International models with the horn mounted facing forward. I'm not sure if the horn was the same as the USA horn, and a quick check of the online parts diagram doesn't even list the horn (though it is pictured in the diagram). Do you suppose the International horn and location would address the problem? Anybody with an International bike want to chime in on this question?

·
Registered
96 Posts
International Horn is a great band name...lol. Well at the very least an oil change would be a little quicker with a relocated horn. I used to have a bicycle bell on my first BMW when I was in my 20's, Harley dudes were totally puzzled....had so much fun!

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
I agree that the horn is wimpy and think that is partly because of the location. It is mounted (on USA models) facing left and next the oil cooler. At one time, I saw pic's of the International models with the horn mounted facing forward. I'm not sure if the horn was the same as the USA horn, and a quick check of the online parts diagram doesn't even list the horn (though it is pictured in the diagram). Do you suppose the International horn and location would address the problem? Anybody with an International bike want to chime in on this question?
No it does not Mate. I am on the hunt to find a decent sounding horn also. Horns are altered from the U.S. Position to the left foot peg bracket and face forward. it's sounds exactly like the wimp on Gertruda the Intruder. Gotta go

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Oh I'm tired today! I answered this thread four hours ago and didn't remember it till I read back. I'm done, stay in bed today Alpal

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,351 Posts

STEBEL-USA

View attachment 7588
Yeah. Scout horn sucks. Same type they use on Hondas etc. Piezo horn. Yuk.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,321 Posts
In all honesty have never found any motorcycle Horn stock that was any good .. The Honda Goldwing horn is the only one found half ass acceptable .. You would think this should be one of the most critical things for good safety of a motorcycle yet will see 50 page arguments of Dressing like a Medieval Knight set for Jousting or Argue ABS until blue in the face when this should be far easier to correct straight from the factory ..

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
In all honesty have never found any motorcycle Horn stock that was any good .. The Honda Goldwing horn is the only one found half ass acceptable .. You would think this should be one of the most critical things for good safety of a motorcycle yet will see 50 page arguments of Dressing like a Medieval Knight set for Jousting or Argue ABS until blue in the face when this should be far easier to correct straight from the factory ..
Got a Wolo BadBoy on the KLR, a pair of PIAAs on the big beemer. One of the first things I replace on any bike I intend to keep. Meep meep is not for mee. I don't pretend for a moment a loud horn makes anything safer. On the contrary: the half second you waste fumbling for a horn button may be just the half second you need to get out of the brain dead cage driver's way. I don't depend on him to wake up and fly right. I just want the sumbidge to know I'm truly pissed.

·
10,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great horn Ronnie ,I like the sound of the PIAA horns . That's what I have on my Triumph .
The PIAA horns do have a great sound, but the Stebel twin air horns that I am mounting on the Engine Guard of the Scout has a 135db rating! LOUD!
I'm only putting one of them on the Scout, but my ST-1100 had 'two' of the twin air horns!

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
On my last few bikes I installed the Mini Beast Air Horn, some of the loudest motorcycle horns on the market, but can't figure out how to use one on my Chieftain without missing up the looks of the bike.

Custom Dynamics Mini Beast Motorcycle Air Horns - Mini Beast

Till I replace the horn, guess when I blow the horn on my Chieftain, I will sound like a Roadrunner coming through these Texas Hill Country roads.

---
Texas Hill Country - Wimberley
Ahote - 2015 Blue and Ivory Chieftain

·
Registered
165 Posts
On my last few bikes I installed the Mini Beast Air Horn, some of the loudest motorcycle horns on the market, but can't figure out how to use one on my Chieftain without missing up the looks of the bike.
Custom Dynamics Mini Beast Motorcycle Air Horns - Mini Beast
Has anyone figured out how to make a "Mini Beast" work on a Chief Classic or Vintage? (I'm in the MidEast, so I can't get my hands on one to figure it out...but want to order something for when I get back home.)

Here's an installation video:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yer on the Scout forum, not that that's an issue but you might have better luck with the Chieftian, Vintage etc. forums.
Good luck.

·
10,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think all the factory is concerned with is to pass the legality of having an installed horn in the cheapest manner possible, not to have something that is useful

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
With the compressor horns, is there a slight lag in sound due to the compressor firing up?

·
10,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With the compressor horns, is there a slight lag in sound due to the compressor firing up?

If a compressor horn is hooked up wrong (no relay and/or long hose) it could have quite a gap in time.

The Stebil horn that I installed has an integrated compressor in a single unit and with the power of the relay putting all the voltage at the horn, there is not a discernible gap of time between action and sound.

With the Scouts wimpy horn, I would settle for a slight time gap over the fact that the Stebil could be heard
and the OEM cant be heard even if it was instantaneous at the speed of light. <G>

This might give you an idea of the speed or maybe not! <G>

1 - 20 of 68 Posts