Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ipod shuts off when using horn. At first I thought was coincidence, but Ipod will stop playing and "device not found" will appear on display.
The first 2 times it happened, Ipod would not come back on until I restarted bike. That was before I replaced long cord with a 4" cord, and with the longer cord, there were several times the Ipod would stop playing anyway.
Now, with the short cord, the Ipod will stop playing, but comes back on within a few seconds.
Wondering if Ipod and horn are on same circuit.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,119 Posts
Since you reduced the problem with a shorter cord I have a feeling the problem is electromagnetic interference or EMI. Basically the horn has a coil in it that can emit electric energy like an antenna. That energy then is induced into the iPod wire causing an electric spike which interferes with the iPod. The longer the wire the more susceptible it is to EMI. One thing to try and see if it is the problem, wrap as much as you can, including the wires, in aluminum foil and see if it helps. We use to have to do that to video cameras used on the Flight Deck to block the radar signals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My ipod stopped being detected by the Chieftain's audio system as well. It does detect my iPhone just fine. I'll try the foil suggestion and let you know if that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use a usb memory stick and just noticed when I use the horn it will also stop the music for a second and act like nothing is connected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2016 Chieftain shuts off no matter what I use. iPhone, iPod, or USB. I can use Bluetooth but the iPod connection sounds much better.
Any suggestions?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts