Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided which way I want to go with a header/muffler setup. I love my Vance & Hines Turndown mufflers. I love the look, I love the sound so I’m sticking with those.
I contemplated going with either the Fuel Moto Jackpot header or the new X-Pipe but in the end, I just think the look of the true duals is the best look and you can’t beat the true dual sound IMHO.
Now, I am somewhat educated on the fluid dynamics of exhaust flow and I know that true duals do not provide exhaust scavenging benefits from the exhaust flow from the other cylinder. But scavenging is also achievable from the pressure wave of a properly tuned header. I don’t know how much tuning went into the development of the FP True Dual Headers so how much, if any, pressure wave scavenging takes place is a mystery.
I also know that scavenging is only a small piece of the puzzle when it comes to torque and horsepower gains and losses.
There are a million threads and arguments about this topic and my intent is not to get sucked into a debate about the back-pressure myth or how Top Fuel dragsters develop so much power with one pipe per cylinder...falsely proving that true duals on a v-twin increase power and torque. Of course you can debate this if you want. I know it’s irresistible like an oil thread.
I am currently using the PVCX and want the ability to finely tune my TS111 on my own, based on my real world riding style. The Dynojet Wideband CX is the gem that will allow me to do that. It’s very pricey so you really have to want to tinker with your own tune to justify the cost.
I put the headers in place and carefully located the spots for the additional bungs for the wideband sensors. Those widebands are HUGE and real estate is at a premium on our beloved Thunderstroke powered stallions. The front header was easy. There is quite a bit of room in front of the front cylinder. The rear, however, was very tricky.
Fortunately, the bungs installed on the FP headers are 18mm so they accommodate wideband sensors. I installed the wideband in the existing bung, installed the header and marked a spot that could accommodate the much smaller narrowband sensor.
Using a 7/8” bi-metal hole saw and a drill press, I carefully drilled the holes in both headers then brought them to a welder.
When I got back home I was anxious to test fit the headers. The front one fit into place like nothing changed but I couldn’t get the rear in place...crap! (I didn’t say crap.) Even with the small narrowband sensor in the new bung I could not get the pipe at the right angle to get it in place.
I took a breath and tried again finding every thinkable angle and approach. Then, click...it was in. I looked at both sensors and there was plenty of clearance. I just had to find the right angle. I took the pipe off, noting the angle needed for the sensors to clear. When I put it back on, it was easy.
Here are some pics of the headers with the new bungs welded in. If anyone is in need of a great welder in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, give Brian at Welding & Fabrication Services | Mobile Man Fabrication | 817-706-8056 a call.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts